US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Matthews tonight on Jay Leno:

"If you're in a room where he's (Obama) giving a speech, and you don't cry, you're not an American."

:eyebrow: Excuse me, Chris?

Well, this is the same guy who called male supporters of Hillary "castratos in the eunuch chorus," opined how listening to her "grates on some men" because she's like "fingernails on a blackboard," and spent so much time at the first Democratic debate analyzing how "pretty" and "well-turned out" Michelle Obama looked and how "demure" and "ladylike" Hillary looked that his embarrassed female co-host had to remind him these were Harvard- and Yale-educated lawyers he was talking about. So, I wouldn't waste too much time taking him seriously.

I used to feel flattered when men said they put women up on a pedestal until it occurred to me some men put us there because they didn't want us to move.

I've started to notice an anecdotal change in a lot of people I know who always mouthed support for women. Suddenly when push comes to shove, an ugly side is starting to rear its head.
(However, conversely, some of the people I'd expect to throw a fit, are perfectly fine with the idea of women leaders. Which takes me back to my own caveat--never believe what a person says until they back it up with action.

Generally I don't throw accusations of sexism around loosely because I don't think all men are sexists (and I know many women are) and it too often turns into an us against them thing which is unhealthy for all of us. But I'm starting to find all this incredibly sad.

Last edited:
Anyone see the MSNBC debate from Nevada? The entire show is on YouTube in ten minute clips.

This is the kiss and make up debate.

Barack and Hillary obviously want to guarantee that they don't lose the other's supporters' votes come November.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DEho2pkws8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DEho2pkws8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Democratic Party is mad at Michigan so it didn't enter any of its candidates. I saw Edwards on TV last night and he was pissed.

When Ross Perot Calls…

The former presidential candidate blasts John McCain, and gets an education about Barack Obama's religion.
By Jonathan Alter
Newsweek Web Exclusive
Updated: 9:25 PM ET Jan 16, 2008

The phone rang and it was Ross Perot, who hasn't given an interview in years. Perot, who won 19 percent of the vote in the 1992 presidential election, making him one of the strongest third-party candidates in American history, got straight to the point.

"Remember what you wrote about John McCain in the March 13, 2000, NEWSWEEK?"

"Sure," I lied.

"When McCain called Perot 'nuttier than a fruitcake'?"

The Texas billionaire, now 77, still has some scores to settle from the Vietnam era, and his timing is exquisite. Just days before the South Carolina GOP primary, he wants me to know that McCain "is the classic opportunist--he's always reaching for attention and glory. Other POWs won't even sit at the same table with him."

Mark Salter, McCain's longtime top aide, says the Arizona senator has plenty of veteran support and many close friendships among other former POWs.

The Perot-McCain relationship goes back to McCain's five and a half years of captivity in Hanoi. When McCain's then-wife Carol was in a serious car accident, McCain's mother called Perot for help. "She asked me to send my people to Philadelphia to take care of the family," Perot says. Afterwards, McCain was grateful. "We loved him [Perot] for it," McCain told me in 2000.

Perot doesn't remember it that way. "After he came home, he walked with a limp, she [Carol McCain] walked with a limp. So he threw her over for a poster girl with big money from Arizona [Cindy McCain, his current wife] and the rest is history."

Perot's real problem with McCain is that he believes the senator hushed up evidence that live POWs were left behind in Vietnam and even transferred to the Soviet Union for human experimentation, a charge Perot says he heard from a senior Vietnamese official in the 1980s. "There's evidence, evidence, evidence," Perot claims. "McCain was adamant about shutting down anything to do with recovering POWs."

Not surprisingly, McCain sees it differently. He has told me several times over the years that the myth of live POWs was a cruel hoax on the families. He chaired hearings into the issue in the 1990s and found nothing. "The committee did an exhaustive job and pored over thousands of records and every claim of a sighting, no matter how outlandish," says Salter. "It was all untrue."

Perot says he intends to vote for Mitt Romney in the Texas Republican primary on March 4, citing Romney's experience in business and his family values. "When I went to the Naval Academy and met my first Mormons I asked why so many were excellent officers," Perot recalls. "I learned it was because of their strong family unit."

When I asked about Barack Obama, Perot said he admired his eloquence but thought it "a little odd that we would be less concerned about his background than being a Mormon." Perot was pleasantly surprised when I told him that Obama was a Christian, not a Muslim, and relieved when I informed him that the e-mail Perot (and untold others) received about Obama not respecting the Pledge of Allegiance was a fraud.

Perot isn't a Hillary hater, but he's not a fan either, relating the bumper sticker he received that reads: "Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President."

The founder of a data-processing empire is still sharp in diagnosing what ails the United States. "The situation in 1992 was not nearly as bad as it is now," he says. "If ever there was a time when it was necessary to put our house in order, it's now.

"It's like having cancer and being in denial. The conduct of the House and Senate is an embarrassment to the nation." President Bush, Perot says, is a "decent person, but you can't say the same thing about the people around him."

Perot is appalled at the specter of big banks having to borrow from foreigners to stay afloat: "We have to go around the world with a tambourine and a tin cup."

He attributes the success of China to the fact that even uneducated Chinese must learn 3,000 characters early in life, compared to the 26 letters in the English alphabet. "Their hand-eye productivity is incredible because of drawing the symbols," Perot says, noting that most of today's Ph.D.s in engineering are from China and India, and only a small percentage from the United States.

Perot offers no easy solutions, instead emphasizing "a strong moral and ethical base, strong homes and the finest schools." He says he's disappointed that big textbook companies successfully lobbied in the Texas state legislature to reverse his landmark school reforms.

The pint-size Texan with the funny voice and the big ears isn't planning to run for president again, but says he will launch a Web site next month with plenty of the charts and graphs he made famous when explaining the deficit in 1992.

Before hanging up, Perot asked me to read the books he recommended on live POWs. I promised him I would.

(CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton has lost a large amount of support among African-Americans, with a majority of black Democrats now supporting Sen. Barack Obama, according to a new poll out Friday.

In a national survey by CNN/Opinion Research Corp., 59 percent of black Democrats backed Obama, an Illinois Democrat, for their party's presidential nomination, with 31 percent supporting Clinton, the senator from New York.

The 28 point lead for Obama is a major reversal from October, when Clinton held a 24 point lead among black Democrats.

"There's been a huge shift among African-American Democrats from Clinton to Obama. African-American Democrats used to be reluctant to support Obama because they didn't think a black man could be elected. Then Obama won Iowa and nearly won New Hampshire. Now they believe," said Bill Schneider, CNN senior political analyst.

"Obama's lead over Clinton among black men is more than 50 points, and among black women, once a Clinton stronghold, Obama has an 11 point advantage," said CNN polling director Keating Holland.

It also appears the recent bickering between Clinton and Obama and their campaigns over race has hurt both candidates. Clinton has the support of 42 percent of all registered Democrats in the new survey, down seven points from last week's CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll. Obama has the backing of 33 percent of those questioned, down three percentage points in a week.

The beneficiary appears to be former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, who jumped 5 points, to 17 percent.

"Why have Clinton and Obama both lost support over the past week? One word: squabbling. If two candidates get into a fight, the third candidate usually gains. Sure enough, John Edwards gained," Schneider said.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio is at 3 percent in the new poll, with former Sen. Mike Gravel of Alaska with support of less than 0.5 percent.

In the battle for the Republican presidential nomination, the survey suggests Sen. John McCain remains the front-runner, but his support among registered Republicans has dropped 5 points since last week's survey, which was taken immediately after the senator from Arizona won the New Hampshire primary.

McCain is at 29 percent, with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 20 percent and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney at 19 percent, up five points from last week. Romney won Tuesday's Michigan primary.

"There was a Michigan bounce," Schneider said. "But McCain still leads. Conservatives, however, are divided between McCain at 26 percent, Huckabee at 24 percent and Romney at 20 percent. Saturday's South Carolina GOP primary should tell us if there's going to be a conservative favorite in this race."

About half the interviews for the new poll were taken before the Michigan primary results were known.

The poll indicates Huckabee may be hurt by perceptions about his leadership abilities.

"Nearly half of registered Republicans say he does not have the leadership skills and vision a president should have. Romney and McCain score much better on this measure," Holland said.

Rudy Giuliani is at 14 percent in the new survey. That's a drop of four points from last week's poll for the former New York mayor.

"Giuliani's support is half of what it was in November, when he last led in the national polls. Giuliani has a problem on issues. Forty-five percent of registered Republicans say they disagree with him on issues that matter to them. McCain ranks highest among registered Republicans on both measures," Holland said.

Former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee has the backing of 9 percent of registered Republicans in the survey, with Rep. Ron Paul of Texas at 6 percent and Rep. Duncan Hunter of California at 1 percent.

Looking ahead to the general election, the GOP has several matters to address. The poll indicates Democrats are much more enthusiastic than Republicans about voting so far this year.

"If that pattern persists, turnout may be a concern for the GOP in November," Holland said.

When all voters nationwide are asked to evaluate the major candidates in both parties, only one Republican candidate, McCain, fares well on issues and personal qualities. Most registered voters say Clinton and Obama -- as well as McCain -- have the necessary leadership skills and vision to be president. But most voters don't feel that way about Romney, Giuliani and Huckabee.

The same is true on issues. A majority of registered voters nationwide say McCain, Obama and Clinton agree with them on issues that matter, but a majority of voters disagree with Romney, Giuliani and Huckabee on important issues.

The economy continues to top the list of the public's biggest concerns, with Iraq, terrorism and health care not far behind. Four in 10 Americans now say the economy is in good shape, down 6 points since December and 14 points since the fall. Nearly six in 10, 59 percent, say the economy is in poor shape.

Regarding Iraq, the number of Americans who say things are going well for the U.S. has jumped 12 points since November, to 46 percent. Support for the war has grown 3 points in the same time.

The poll involved interviews with 1,393 adult Americans, including 448 registered voters who describe themselves as Democrats and 377 registered voters who describe themselves as Republicans. They were interviewed from January 14-17.

The poll's sampling error is plus-or-minus 5 percentage points for the Republican respondents, 4.5 percentage points for the Democratic respondents, and 8 percentage points for the African-American Democrat respondents.

I never again want to hear anyone in here harp on Huckabee for using church to make political gains. I turn on the news, and every other day, there's Obama talking in a church again. At least when Huckabee does it, he's giving a non-politics related Sunday sermon.

2861U2 said:
I never again want to hear anyone in here harp on Huckabee for using church to make political gains. I turn on the news, and every other day, there's Obama talking in a church again. At least when Huckabee does it, he's giving a non-politics related Sunday sermon.

This has been discussed about a 1000 times, maybe the 1001 time it will sink in.

Huckabilly wants to legislate his religious beliefs, Obama doesn't!!! It's pretty simple.

Sadly in your country a candidate has to show up behind the pulpit in order to be seen as acceptable.

But there is a huge difference between wishing to streamline the Constitution with the Bible and being a Christian who also happens to be running for President.

(CNN) — Chuck Norris brought his tough-guy approach to the campaign trail Sunday, taking aim at John McCain's age and suggesting the Arizona senator might not last even a single term.

Norris, an ardent supporter of Mike Huckabee, told reporters he believes serving as president accelerates the aging process 3-to-1.

"If John takes over the presidency at 72 and he ages 3-to-1, how old will he be in four years? Eighty-four years old — and can he handle that kind of pressure in that job?" Norris said, as Huckabee looked on.

"That's why I didn't pick John to support, because I'm just afraid the vice president will wind up taking over his job within that four-year presidency," added the action star.

Huckabee himself avoided offering his own opinion on whether McCain is fit for the presidency, saying "Only John McCain and his hair dresser know for sure."

Norris, who has been at Huckabee's side for weeks as the former Arkansas governor campaigns for the presidency, is hosting a fundraiser for the Republican White House hopeful at his Texas ranch Sunday.

Here's the speech Senator Obama made in the church

"The Scripture tells us that when Joshua and the Israelites arrived at the gates of Jericho, they could not enter. The walls of the city were too steep for any one person to climb; too strong to be taken down with brute force. And so they sat for days, unable to pass on through.

But God had a plan for his people. He told them to stand together and march together around the city, and on the seventh day he told them that when they heard the sound of the ram’s horn, they should speak with one voice. And at the chosen hour, when the horn sounded and a chorus of voices cried out together, the mighty walls of Jericho came tumbling down.

There are many lessons to take from this passage, just as there are many lessons to take from this day, just as there are many memories that fill the space of this church. As I was thinking about which ones we need to remember at this hour, my mind went back to the very beginning of the modern Civil Rights Era.

Because before Memphis and the mountaintop; before the bridge in Selma and the march on Washington; before Birmingham and the beatings; the fire hoses and the loss of those four little girls; before there was King the icon and his magnificent dream, there was King the young preacher and a people who found themselves suffering under the yolk of oppression.

And on the eve of the bus boycotts in Montgomery, at a time when many were still doubtful about the possibilities of change, a time when those in the black community mistrusted themselves, and at times mistrusted each other, King inspired with words not of anger, but of an urgency that still speaks to us today:

“Unity is the great need of the hour” is what King said. Unity is how we shall overcome.

What Dr. King understood is that if just one person chose to walk instead of ride the bus, those walls of oppression would not be moved. But maybe if a few more walked, the foundation might start to shake. If a few more women were willing to do what Rosa Parks had done, maybe the cracks would start to show. If teenagers took freedom rides from North to South, maybe a few bricks would come loose. Maybe if white folks marched because they had come to understand that their freedom too was at stake in the impending battle, the wall would begin to sway. And if enough Americans were awakened to the injustice; if they joined together, North and South, rich and poor, Christian and Jew, then perhaps that wall would come tumbling down, and justice would flow like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.

Unity is the great need of the hour – the great need of this hour. Not because it sounds pleasant or because it makes us feel good, but because it’s the only way we can overcome the essential deficit that exists in this country.

I’m not talking about a budget deficit. I’m not talking about a trade deficit. I’m not talking about a deficit of good ideas or new plans.

I’m talking about a moral deficit. I’m talking about an empathy deficit. I’m taking about an inability to recognize ourselves in one another; to understand that we are our brother’s keeper; we are our sister’s keeper; that, in the words of Dr. King, we are all tied together in a single garment of destiny.

We have an empathy deficit when we’re still sending our children down corridors of shame – schools in the forgotten corners of America where the color of your skin still affects the content of your education.

We have a deficit when CEOs are making more in ten minutes than some workers make in ten months; when families lose their homes so that lenders make a profit; when mothers can’t afford a doctor when their children get sick.

We have a deficit in this country when there is Scooter Libby justice for some and Jena justice for others; when our children see nooses hanging from a schoolyard tree today, in the present, in the twenty-first century.

We have a deficit when homeless veterans sleep on the streets of our cities; when innocents are slaughtered in the deserts of Darfur; when young Americans serve tour after tour of duty in a war that should’ve never been authorized and never been waged.

And we have a deficit when it takes a breach in our levees to reveal a breach in our compassion; when it takes a terrible storm to reveal the hungry that God calls on us to feed; the sick He calls on us to care for; the least of these He commands that we treat as our own.

So we have a deficit to close. We have walls – barriers to justice and equality – that must come down. And to do this, we know that unity is the great need of this hour.

Unfortunately, all too often when we talk about unity in this country, we’ve come to believe that it can be purchased on the cheap. We’ve come to believe that racial reconciliation can come easily – that it’s just a matter of a few ignorant people trapped in the prejudices of the past, and that if the demagogues and those who exploit our racial divisions will simply go away, then all our problems would be solved.

All too often, we seek to ignore the profound institutional barriers that stand in the way of ensuring opportunity for all children, or decent jobs for all people, or health care for those who are sick. We long for unity, but are unwilling to pay the price.

But of course, true unity cannot be so easily won. It starts with a change in attitudes – a broadening of our minds, and a broadening of our hearts.

It’s not easy to stand in somebody else’s shoes. It’s not easy to see past our differences. We’ve all encountered this in our own lives. But what makes it even more difficult is that we have a politics in this country that seeks to drive us apart – that puts up walls between us.

We are told that those who differ from us on a few things are different from us on all things; that our problems are the fault of those who don’t think like us or look like us or come from where we do. The welfare queen is taking our tax money. The immigrant is taking our jobs. The believer condemns the non-believer as immoral, and the non-believer chides the believer as intolerant.

For most of this country’s history, we in the African American community have been at the receiving end of man’s inhumanity to man. And all of us understand intimately the insidious role that race still sometimes plays – on the job, in the schools, in our health care system and in our criminal justice system.

And yet, if we are honest with ourselves, we must admit that none of our hands are entirely clean. If we’re honest with ourselves, we’ll acknowledge that our own community has not always been true to King’s vision of a beloved community.

We have scorned our gay brothers and sisters instead of embracing them. The scourge of anti-Semitism has, at times, revealed itself in our community. For too long, some of us have seen immigrants as competitors for jobs instead of companions in the fight for opportunity.

Every day, our politics fuels and exploits this kind of division across all races and regions; across gender and party. It is played out on television. It is sensationalized by the media. And last week, it even crept into the campaign for President, with charges and counter-charges that served to obscure the issues instead of illuminating the critical choices we face as a nation.

So let us say that on this day of all days, each of us carries with us the task of changing our hearts and minds. The division, the stereotypes, the scapegoating, the ease with which we blame our plight on others – all of this distracts us from the common challenges we face – war and poverty; injustice and inequality. We can no longer afford to build ourselves up by tearing someone else down. We can no longer afford to traffic in lies or fear or hate. It is the poison that we must purge from our politics; the wall that we must tear down before the hour grows too late.

Because if Dr. King could love his jailor; if he could call on the faithful who once sat where you do to forgive those who set dogs and fire hoses upon them, then surely we can look past what divides us in our time, and bind up our wounds, and erase the empathy deficit that exists in our hearts.

But if changing our hearts and minds is the first critical step, we cannot stop there. It is not enough to bemoan the plight of poor children in this country and remain unwilling to push our elected officials to provide the resources to fix our schools. It is not enough to decry the disparities of health care and yet allow the insurance companies and the drug companies to block much-needed reforms. It is not enough for us to abhor the costs of a misguided war, and yet allow ourselves to be driven by a politics of fear that sees the threat of attack as way to scare up votes instead of a call to come together around a common effort.

The Scripture tells us that we are judged not just by word, but by deed. And if we are to truly bring about the unity that is so crucial in this time, we must find it within ourselves to act on what we know; to understand that living up to this country’s ideals and its possibilities will require great effort and resources; sacrifice and stamina.

And that is what is at stake in the great political debate we are having today. The changes that are needed are not just a matter of tinkering at the edges, and they will not come if politicians simply tell us what we want to hear. All of us will be called upon to make some sacrifice. None of us will be exempt from responsibility. We will have to fight to fix our schools, but we will also have to challenge ourselves to be better parents. We will have to confront the biases in our criminal justice system, but we will also have to acknowledge the deep-seated violence that still resides in our own communities and marshal the will to break its grip.

That is how we will bring about the change we seek. That is how Dr. King led this country through the wilderness. He did it with words – words that he spoke not just to the children of slaves, but the children of slave owners. Words that inspired not just black but also white; not just the Christian but the Jew; not just the Southerner but also the Northerner.

He led with words, but he also led with deeds. He also led by example. He led by marching and going to jail and suffering threats and being away from his family. He led by taking a stand against a war, knowing full well that it would diminish his popularity. He led by challenging our economic structures, understanding that it would cause discomfort. Dr. King understood that unity cannot be won on the cheap; that we would have to earn it through great effort and determination.

That is the unity – the hard-earned unity – that we need right now. It is that effort, and that determination, that can transform blind optimism into hope – the hope to imagine, and work for, and fight for what seemed impossible before.

The stories that give me such hope don’t happen in the spotlight. They don’t happen on the presidential stage. They happen in the quiet corners of our lives. They happen in the moments we least expect. Let me give you an example of one of those stories.

There is a young, 23-year-old white woman named Ashley Baia who organizes for our campaign in Florence, South Carolina. She’s been working to organize a mostly African American community since the beginning of this campaign, and the other day she was at a roundtable discussion where everyone went around telling their story and why they were there.

And Ashley said that when she was nine years old, her mother got cancer. And because she had to miss days of work, she was let go and lost her health care. They had to file for bankruptcy, and that’s when Ashley decided that she had to do something to help her mom.

She knew that food was one of their most expensive costs, and so Ashley convinced her mother that what she really liked and really wanted to eat more than anything else was mustard and relish sandwiches. Because that was the cheapest way to eat.

She did this for a year until her mom got better, and she told everyone at the roundtable that the reason she joined our campaign was so that she could help the millions of other children in the country who want and need to help their parents too.

So Ashley finishes her story and then goes around the room and asks everyone else why they’re supporting the campaign. They all have different stories and reasons. Many bring up a specific issue. And finally they come to this elderly black man who’s been sitting there quietly the entire time. And Ashley asks him why he’s there. And he does not bring up a specific issue. He does not say health care or the economy. He does not say education or the war. He does not say that he was there because of Barack Obama. He simply says to everyone in the room, “I am here because of Ashley.”

By itself, that single moment of recognition between that young white girl and that old black man is not enough. It is not enough to give health care to the sick, or jobs to the jobless, or education to our children.

But it is where we begin. It is why the walls in that room began to crack and shake.

And if they can shake in that room, they can shake in Atlanta.

And if they can shake in Atlanta, they can shake in Georgia.

And if they can shake in Georgia, they can shake all across America. And if enough of our voices join together; we can bring those walls tumbling down. The walls of Jericho can finally come tumbling down. That is our hope – but only if we pray together, and work together, and march together.

Brothers and sisters, we cannot walk alone.

In the struggle for peace and justice, we cannot walk alone.

In the struggle for opportunity and equality, we cannot walk alone

In the struggle to heal this nation and repair this world, we cannot walk alone.

So I ask you to walk with me, and march with me, and join your voice with mine, and together we will sing the song that tears down the walls that divide us, and lift up an America that is truly indivisible, with liberty, and justice, for all. May God bless the memory of the great pastor of this church, and may God bless the United States of America."

That's pretty damn good. I think I would probably attend church again if the message was like this instead of the shit I hear in most churches today.

anitram said:
Sadly in your country a candidate has to show up behind the pulpit in order to be seen as acceptable.

But there is a huge difference between wishing to streamline the Constitution with the Bible and being a Christian who also happens to be running for President.

That's right, we'd never elect an atheist. It pisses me off. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
That's pretty damn good. I think I would probably attend church again if the message was like this instead of the shit I hear in most churches today.

What kind of "shit" do you hear?

I'm glad that when I go to church, I don't hear political speak like what Obama did. I want to hear a traditional sermon that is focused on God, not Martin Luther King.

He made a few subtle political "here's why you should vote for me" remarks in there. Isn't that illegal? :eyebrow:

2861U2 said:

I'm glad that when I go to church, I don't hear political speak like what Obama did. I want to hear a traditional sermon that is focused on God, not Martin Luther King.

He made a few subtle political "here's why you should vote for me" remarks in there. Isn't that illegal? :eyebrow:

I hear more politics in churches from ministers than I did in this speech. You hear it too, you just don't recognise it because you believe in it.

What's wrong with speaking about MLK? Are you trying to tell me your church doesn't talk about current events, leaders, etc? If so, then they are failing you as a church. If you can't show how the message fits into today's society, then what's the point?

Yes there were subtle politics, but like I said I hear more from ministers on a daily basis. Have you ever heard of one of Huck's sermons? Come on now, take off the bias glasses and really read what you are saying.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I hear more politics in churches from ministers than I did in this speech.

I thought you didn't go to church. Where are you hearing all this? :scratch:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What's wrong with speaking about MLK? Are you trying to tell me your church doesn't talk about current events, leaders, etc? If so, then they are failing you as a church. If you can't show how the message fits into today's society, then what's the point?

No, my church doesn't regularly talk about Dr. King or President Bush or the war in Iraq or any current events, because that isn't the purpose of church. A lot of people go to church to get away from all of that stuff. Sermons should be rooted in scripture and God, not so much in current world affairs. So no, my church is not failing me.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Have you ever heard of one of Huck's sermons?

Yes, and it wasn't nearly as political. I could've pictured my own pastor preaching the exact same thing. Huckabee's sounded like a typical Sunday sermon, and believe it or not, it wasn't any worse because it was void of current events.

2861U2 said:

There's reasons I will never live in the south, and having attended a mass there once is one of them.

2861U2 said:

I thought you didn't go to church. Where are you hearing all this? :scratch:

I've been to hundreds of churches all across the nation, I just don't belong to any church.

2861U2 said:

No, my church doesn't regularly talk about Dr. King or President Bush or the war in Iraq or any current events, because that isn't the purpose of church. A lot of people go to church to get away from all of that stuff. Sermons should be rooted in scripture and God, not so much in current world affairs. So no, my church is not failing me.

You want to get away from Dr. King? Why?

I hear sermons of how society is stepping away from God all the time. Usually in reference to some liberal thought or movement. Women's lib, interracial marriage, gay marriage, etc have all been topics of sermons thoughout current history. Recently I've heard references to "they are taking our ten commandments from our courthouses", "and we're suppose to believe the Muslim religion is a peaceful one?", "the war on Christmas"(Huckabee recently touted that one right down the street from me), and the list goes on and on.

2861U2 said:

Yes, and it wasn't nearly as political. I could've pictured my own pastor preaching the exact same thing. Huckabee's sounded like a typical Sunday sermon, and believe it or not, it wasn't any worse because it was void of current events.

Well then you either haven't heard the ones I have or you've become immune to the references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom