Unemployment rate jumps from 7.7% to 8.9% in 30 days - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Unemployment rate jumps from 7.7% to 8.9% in 30 days

UNEMPLOYMENT RATE JUMPS FROM 7.7% TO 8.9% IN 30 DAYS

The "liberal" in me wants the guaranteed income like yesterday. If these numbers continue, or worsen, we're headed for some major upheaval.

The conservatives, especially the hard working Bible Belt folks, need to drop their blind defense of the wealthy. It's you they are stealing from! (well, and the rest of us)
__________________

__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 893
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Very interesting how that video shows mostly African American folks walking around and looking for a job.

Even though the US has the best and highest paying jobs in the world, many people are now opting for overseas employment.

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...ortunity/?_r=0
__________________

__________________
Dfit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Very interesting how that video shows mostly African American folks walking around and looking for a job.

Even though the US has the best and highest paying jobs in the world, many people are now opting for overseas employment.

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...ortunity/?_r=0
Interesting...I didn't know that.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
The Fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 160
Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
The "liberal" in me wants the guaranteed income like yesterday. If these numbers continue, or worsen, we're headed for some major upheaval.

The conservatives, especially the hard working Bible Belt folks, need to drop their blind defense of the wealthy. It's you they are stealing from! (well, and the rest of us)
I've heard the actual numbers are closer to 17% due to many giving up looking for a job and others can only find part-time work. It's only going to get worse with Obama still in office. He has no clue about how to jump start the economy. Keep the food stamps coming.
__________________
tim722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,011
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Thanks Obummer.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,900
Local Time: 03:39 PM
It's Gannett's fault. LOL

They're just the gift that keeps on giving.
__________________
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,862
Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim722 View Post

I've heard the actual numbers are closer to 17% due to many giving up looking for a job and others can only find part-time work. It's only going to get worse with Obama still in office. He has no clue about how to jump start the economy. Keep the food stamps coming.
And the socialism!
__________________
PhilsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim722 View Post

I've heard the actual numbers are closer to 17% due to many giving up looking for a job and others can only find part-time work. It's only going to get worse with Obama still in office. He has no clue about how to jump start the economy. Keep the food stamps coming.
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with obstructionist Republicans blocking everything in sight.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:39 PM
And for those "lucky" enough to find work...

Quote:
In the year 1930, John Maynard Keynes predicted that, by century’s end, technology would have advanced sufficiently that countries like Great Britain or the United States would have achieved a 15-hour work week. There’s every reason to believe he was right. In technological terms, we are quite capable of this. And yet it didn’t happen. Instead, technology has been marshaled, if anything, to figure out ways to make us all work more. In order to achieve this, jobs have had to be created that are, effectively, pointless. Huge swathes of people, in Europe and North America in particular, spend their entire working lives performing tasks they secretly believe do not really need to be performed. The moral and spiritual damage that comes from this situation is profound. It is a scar across our collective soul. Yet virtually no one talks about it.
On the Phenomenon of BS Jobs
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 05:39 PM
In a related story:

Quote:
The median, or midpoint, income in June 2013 was $52,098. That's down from $54,478 in June 2009, when the recession officially ended. And it's below the $55,480 that the median household took in when the recession began in December 2007.
The report says nearly every group is worse off than four years ago, except for those 65 to 74. Some groups have experienced larger-than-average declines, including blacks, young and upper-middle-aged people and the unemployed.
Median Household Income Dropped 4 Percent Since The End Of The Great Recession: Report

We should keep this thread going in order to keep an eye and discuss the troubled economy and job market, just like that Greek thread is still going.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Yet - home prices are skyrocketing again. It's very frustrating...
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with obstructionist Republicans blocking everything in sight.
Both parties are crap and don't care about anything other than lining their own pockets.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Both parties are crap and don't care about anything other than lining their own pockets.
This is true.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
The conservatives, especially the hard working Bible Belt folks, need to drop their blind defense of the wealthy. It's you they are stealing from! (well, and the rest of us)
Hammer meets nail. It comes down to politicians using their libertarian strain as a wedge. That sense of economic fairness and govt intrusion. I hear this constantly. It essentially boils down to an eventual argument about welfare. It's so frustrating even as I type this. FYI, I am firmly in the Bible Belt, and if there is anyone around here empathetic to these people, it's me. Even though I am not much of a conservative at all or religious. It's just...these are my people. Most of my family. Some friends. Although most of my friends are as socially liberal as I am. I do still have some libertarian strains though. But I was a SCARY right wing nut up until about 18 years old. I've spent the last 20 years of my life deconstructing how I ended up there. I understand the 'Tea Party' mentality pretty much thoroughly. Top to bottom.

Bible Belt folk: "I don't think the rich should have to pay more in taxes".
Me: "Why?"
Bible Belt folk: "It's not fair. I don't want to pay more in taxes and neither should they. Or anyone else. The Govt is too big".
Me: "You know...someone has to pay the bills".
Bible Belt folk: "Then we should get all these people off welfare, and stop sending millions in foreign aid to people that hate us".
Me: "relatively speaking, it's a drop in the bucket. You need lots of revenue and it can only come from slightly higher rates on the wealthy"
Bible Belt folk: "I don't believe that".
Me: "Well it's true. Besides, the rich have never made more money than they are making now".
Bible Belt folk: "Good for them".
Me: "But it's the non-rich that end up paying those bills".
Bible Belt folk: "Like I said, reduce the bills. Get all those people off welfare, stop fighting wars in Muslimville and stop sending millions to Africa"
Me: "Welfare is inevitable and it's not going away. Foreign aid might as well be the same as buying tanks. It's national security. And I agree with you about the wars."
Bible Belt folk: "Stupid Bush and those wars."
Me: "Yeah but don't you see? The same reason you voted to re-elect him in 2004 is the same reason you believe that taxing the wealthy is a great sin".
Bible Belt folk: "Huh?"
Me: "Politics. getting you to vote against your best interest".

And they simply don't want to believe they could be duped like that.
The personal pride meets the libertarian principle meet pure politics.
And Republicans continue to dominate these demographics.
Also...Bible issues but that's another subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Both parties are crap and don't care about anything other than lining their own pockets.
Truth, brother.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
Hammer meets nail. It comes down to politicians using their libertarian strain as a wedge. That sense of economic fairness and govt intrusion. I hear this constantly. It essentially boils down to an eventual argument about welfare. It's so frustrating even as I type this. FYI, I am firmly in the Bible Belt, and if there is anyone around here empathetic to these people, it's me. Even though I am not much of a conservative at all or religious. It's just...these are my people. Most of my family. Some friends. Although most of my friends are as socially liberal as I am. I do still have some libertarian strains though. But I was a SCARY right wing nut up until about 18 years old. I've spent the last 20 years of my life deconstructing how I ended up there. I understand the 'Tea Party' mentality pretty much thoroughly. Top to bottom.

Bible Belt folk: "I don't think the rich should have to pay more in taxes".
Me: "Why?"
Bible Belt folk: "It's not fair. I don't want to pay more in taxes and neither should they. Or anyone else. The Govt is too big".
Me: "You know...someone has to pay the bills".
Bible Belt folk: "Then we should get all these people off welfare, and stop sending millions in foreign aid to people that hate us".
Me: "relatively speaking, it's a drop in the bucket. You need lots of revenue and it can only come from slightly higher rates on the wealthy"
Bible Belt folk: "I don't believe that".
Me: "Well it's true. Besides, the rich have never made more money than they are making now".
Bible Belt folk: "Good for them".
Me: "But it's the non-rich that end up paying those bills".
Bible Belt folk: "Like I said, reduce the bills. Get all those people off welfare, stop fighting wars in Muslimville and stop sending millions to Africa"
Me: "Welfare is inevitable and it's not going away. Foreign aid might as well be the same as buying tanks. It's national security. And I agree with you about the wars."
Bible Belt folk: "Stupid Bush and those wars."
Me: "Yeah but don't you see? The same reason you voted to re-elect him in 2004 is the same reason you believe that taxing the wealthy is a great sin".
Bible Belt folk: "Huh?"
Me: "Politics. getting you to vote against your best interest".

And they simply don't want to believe they could be duped like that.
The personal pride meets the libertarian principle meet pure politics.
And Republicans continue to dominate these demographics.
Also...Bible issues but that's another subject.



Truth, brother.
If we could somehow get these people to understand - even if it means quoting Jesus - that the wealthy and powerful only care about being more wealthy and more powerful - then way may start to see some changes.

As it is, they shout and vote to protect the very aristocrats that are enslaving them and preventing them from having the same standard of living their parents and grandparents had.

And the Left isn't blameless - the Democrats feed off the desires of honest, intelligent, and caring people who want a government that creates equal opportunity for all its citizens (a worthy goal), only to have these snakes establish rules and regulations that funnel money to the very same aristocrats (and to themselves - so they can now be aristocrats too) - which at the same times puts "the commoners" in debt to these aristocrats because now the cost of owning a home and decent education is so inflated by government interference that the only way to even sniff the American dream of owning a decent house and earning a quality education is to become a debt slave.

A different path - same result. Enslavement.
__________________

__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com