UK General Election June 8th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm surprised as hell to say the least. Can't say I have high hopes for a good result however.

yeah just saw this too

arrogant b!tch thinks she'll win with the opposition in disarray...

unless everyone votes Lib Dem en masse :D

This is mad. The whole point of fixed terms was to stop naked politicking like this. If she had gone to the country before giving notice to the EU, she could have justified it by saying there was so much rancour she needed to seek a mandate. A snap election would have been valid under the escape clauses of the fixed terms act. But now? Her justification is paper thin. She just knows she can win and claim another bullshit mandate based on a split Labour/Lib Dem vote.

Also, are people planning on voting Lib Dem so short on memory that they've forgotten 2010? The UK might not even be on course for Brexit if the Lib Dems hadn't made such a calamitous decision. As a friend put it, the Lib Dems are just Tories who hide their shame better.

This is mad. The whole point of fixed terms was to stop naked politicking like this. If she had gone to the country before giving notice to the EU, she could have justified it by saying there was so much rancour she needed to seek a mandate. A snap election would have been valid under the escape clauses of the fixed terms act. But now? Her justification is paper thin. She just knows she can win and claim another bullshit mandate based on a split Labour/Lib Dem vote.

Also, are people planning on voting Lib Dem so short on memory that they've forgotten 2010? The UK might not even be on course for Brexit if the Lib Dems hadn't made such a calamitous decision. As a friend put it, the Lib Dems are just Tories who hide their shame better.

:applaud:I'd add that the Labour right/"""Sensible""" Labour are Tories in denial, hopeful of avoiding the image associated with being a Tory. Then I suppose you'd say UKIP are Tories who think the Tories don't despise minorities enough.

And Tim Farron looks like a fallen former child prodigy desperately trying to remind everyone that he still exists in adult form.

Last edited:
UKIP are fucking Tories on the moon.

And wait, wait, Corbyn SUPPORTS the snap election? Has he lost his mind? He should stand up in parliament, read May's numerous comments about not calling an election back to her, recite the fixed terms act, and tell the Tories to get fucked, he won't stand for her attempt to exploit the system.

Well I walked into a comedy show and walked out and shit had gone to hell.

Jeremy must think his party can overcome a 20 fucking per cent deficit.

UKIP are fucking Tories on the moon.

And wait, wait, Corbyn SUPPORTS the snap election? Has he lost his mind? He should stand up in parliament, read May's numerous comments about not calling an election back to her, recite the fixed terms act, and tell the Tories to get fucked, he won't stand for her attempt to exploit the system.

seriously to god, the man needs to grow a pair - he is making me despair, and i was a Labour voter (before i was disenfranchised) :angry:

also, the UK parliament was meant to be reinstating voting rights for UK emigrants who, like me, have lived outside the UK for more than 15 years and had lost their rights, and a vote like this is where it counts the most for the likes of us, but of course it won't be passed into law in time for this snap election, so screwed again :angry:

Also, are people planning on voting Lib Dem so short on memory that they've forgotten 2010?

well they're pretty much the only ones anti-Brexit right now - beggars can't be choosers :lol:

The last time a PM wagered the UK's future with the EU to win an election, Brexit happened.

Just saying May is playing with fire here.

And thus Thatcher's greatest achievement, I guess. Transformed that whole party.

it's disgusting - am getting madder and madder - i hope it gets blocked in parliament

as a result of no opposition, i expect may to to increase the tories majority significantly.

... and i also expect that labour will implode and splinter off after the election.

speaking the obvious there Nostradamus :D

Labour has been in disarray and split into factions since Corbyn sadly

yeah, i'm certainly guilty of what you're accusing me of... i just really wanted to chime in, i guess!

Labour has been in disarray and split into factions since Corbyn sadly

It's what happens when you mix social democrats with diet Tories, I guess.

Honestly speaking, you look at a sizeable chunk of Labour's political figures and you really have to wonder why they don't support the Conservatives. Is it just the stigma of being a Tory that they are repelled by?

It's what happens when you mix social democrats with diet Tories, I guess.

Honestly speaking, you look at a sizeable chunk of Labour's political figures and you really have to wonder why they don't support the Conservatives. Is it just the stigma of being a Tory that they are repelled by?

i reckon that's why Blair changed the name to "New Labour" - very ambiguous, and gave them free rein to reinvent themselves...

maybe they're Tories but with a bit of a social conscience :lol:

[tweet]854285149063716864[/tweet]

Still great.

Anyone watch the Corbyn/May interviews with Jeremy Paxman last night? Frustrating watch at times. Usually have plenty of time for Paxman but the way he tried talking over Corbyn for most of the interview was infuriating. So was the way he (inevitably) gave May an easier ride and spent most of the interview focusing on Brexit instead of the Tories fucking appalling track record over the last 7 years.

This election's been very interesting, or has gone a completely different way than a lot of us thought it would.

While I'm not going to get excited and say Labour can actually win it, I can't believe what a good run they've had this past month compared to the Tories. I'm a Labour member but the day the election was called was fucking depressing. It honestly felt like the Tories were going to walk it, no contest, a month of nonstop shit slinging and people parroting the "Corbyn is unelectable" line because The Sun said so. The apparent change in public opinion, especially of Corbyn, has been a big surprise.

May's plan of calling the snap election that she said she wouldn't simply to cash in on the huge lead in the polls, before repeating a bunch of slogans and sitting back to watch the polls stay the same doesn't seem to have gone so well.

It helps that the Labour manifesto is very good (and that the GrimeForCorbyn thing is terrific and helps to give hope to apathetic youth) - and that May cannot even bring herself to attend a TV debate, and that's the least of her worries at the moment.

i think corbyn is utterly inept.

that said, may and the tories seem hell-bent in destroying the lives of everyone. at this point a hung parliament will be the best thing that can happen, with hopefully no king-makers from the libdems serving as the bootlickers that they were in 2010-2015

Still great.

Anyone watch the Corbyn/May interviews with Jeremy Paxman last night? Frustrating watch at times. Usually have plenty of time for Paxman but the way he tried talking over Corbyn for most of the interview was infuriating. So was the way he (inevitably) gave May an easier ride and spent most of the interview focusing on Brexit instead of the Tories fucking appalling track record over the last 7 years.

This election's been very interesting, or has gone a completely different way than a lot of us thought it would.

While I'm not going to get excited and say Labour can actually win it, I can't believe what a good run they've had this past month compared to the Tories. I'm a Labour member but the day the election was called was fucking depressing. It honestly felt like the Tories were going to walk it, no contest, a month of nonstop shit slinging and people parroting the "Corbyn is unelectable" line because The Sun said so. The apparent change in public opinion, especially of Corbyn, has been a big surprise.

May's plan of calling the snap election that she said she wouldn't simply to cash in on the huge lead in the polls, before repeating a bunch of slogans and sitting back to watch the polls stay the same doesn't seem to have gone so well.

yep, i caught some of the Paxman interviews/audience questions, and the debate tonight

i've always been a Labour supporter, and have to say, although i was frustrated with Corbyn's non-handling of Brexit and the glaring lack of an opposition since the Brexit referendum, and i've done so many U-turns on my views on Corbyn this past year i now have some serious whiplash, i actually believe in the guy - really think he is what Britain needs right now, with or without Europe, to make for a fairer society and get Britain out of this Tory nightmare

i reaaaaally hope this snap election backfires big time on May - honestly, it's almost like self-harm, back-tracking at every turn, now not even turning up for the big TV debate - it's almost like she wants out :lol: - fingers crossed!!

Back
Top Bottom