UK General Election June 8th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
plus he does look a bit like Obe Wan Kenobi - he's our only hope! :lol:

[tweet]872921211029909506[/tweet]

Early results seem to indicate Labour may have made up a bit of ground and prevented a majority.

up at 7am, having a few drinks and hoping to be dancing on the table by lunch. Come on, Jez!!

Hahaha cop that Tories, smug Blairites and the right wing media establishment!

:applaud:

Even managed to win a seat that had been with the Tories for 99 years! Not to mention some they didn't even campaign in - which you can say is the anti-Hillary in a sense.

So fucking tense right now but on the bright side my hometown voted out our shit Tory MP!

yP95XtJ.gif

This seemed like a huge risk when May announced the elections. And it was. Don't see how she can stay on as PM after this.

There's no path to a coalition here, right? If we use BBC's projections, Tories + LD barely clear a majority, but I assume there's no chance in hell of that happening unless the Tories capitulate into something like a soft Brexit. Labour + SNP isn't even close.

And, thank God, Tories + UKIP aren't even close.

What happens from here, folks who know U.K. politics much better than I do? Tories try to lead a minority government, in chaos by virtue of the fact that the majority of Parliament is probably anti-Brexit?

I feel like this serves the spineless Tories right for how they've behaved since roughly 2014, but I also can't stand Corbyn's Labour Party.

Don't think the Lib Dems want a coalition with the Tories, UKIP are pretty much dead in the water post-Brexit. There's a chance of another election later in the year the way things are looking.

Don't think the Lib Dems want a coalition with the Tories, UKIP are pretty much dead in the water post-Brexit. There's a chance of another election later in the year the way things are looking.

Wow. What a ride.

Good riddance to Theresa May, frankly.

There's no path to a coalition here, right? If we use BBC's projections, Tories + LD barely clear a majority, but I assume there's no chance in hell of that happening unless the Tories capitulate into something like a soft Brexit. Labour + SNP isn't even close.

What happens from here, folks who know U.K. politics much better than I do? Tories try to lead a minority government, in chaos by virtue of the fact that the majority of Parliament is probably anti-Brexit?

I feel like this serves the spineless Tories right for how they've behaved since roughly 2014, but I also can't stand Corbyn's Labour Party.

How many independents will get seats? The last one we had here it was decided on the independents, who got their 15 minutes of fame because the two major parties had to wine and dine them.

The campaign manager for Obama for the 2012 election is involved in the Tories' election campaign which is pretty fascinating to say the least ...

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

Aaaaaahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Baaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahhahhahahahahaha

Oh this is beautiful.

This seemed like a huge risk when May announced the elections. And it was. Don't see how she can stay on as PM after this.

May is finished. Guaranteed. Leadership challenge very soon.

I'm going to laugh about this today, and panic tomorrow that the heir apparent is Boris Johnson.

Fucking hell, Trump and BoJo are making it really hard for natural blonds like me.

The Tories will probably be able to form government with the help of the Democratic Unionist Party. The Guardian's tracker at the moment shows Tories + DUP holding 325 of the required 326.

But if they don't get that one seat? Not a chance in hell Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Sinn Fein, or Green will support them. I know almost nothing about Plaid Cymru in terms of who they might back. Checking the BBC, which has an even more detailed breakdown, there is one "other" after the parties, I'm assuming an independent, but I am unsure what their leaning is.

I really don't envy whoever ends up being speaker after the dust settles on all of this. What a parliament this will be to try to keep in line.

I'm going to laugh about this today, and panic tomorrow that the heir apparent is Boris Johnson.

Fucking hell, Trump and BoJo are making it really hard for natural blonds like me.

It's going to be bloody tough for BoJo though. Tories are in the shits big time in this period of uncertainty.

The Tories will probably be able to form government with the help of the Democratic Unionist Party. The Guardian's tracker at the moment shows Tories + DUP holding 325 of the required 326.

But if they don't get that one seat? Not a chance in hell Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Sinn Fein, or Green will support them. I know almost nothing about Plaid Cymru in terms of who they might back. Checking the BBC, which has an even more detailed breakdown, there is one "other" after the parties, I'm assuming an independent, but I am unsure what their leaning is.

I really don't envy whoever ends up being speaker after the dust settles on all of this. What a parliament this will be to try to keep in line.

Plaid Cymru are the Welsh equivalent of Sinn Fein, ideologically (I understand this is pretty simplistic but they are definitely a left party).

Gotcha. So, barring this independent being a Tory sympathiser, the Tories have got nobody other than the DUP. Lib Dems aren't stupid enough to go Tory again in a climate of anti-Tory anxiety, and hahahaha UKIP are out of parliament.

The Guardian's tracker has just updated to show Tories + DUP having 326, damnit. 4 undecided as yet. But geez, having to rely on Northern Ireland for support at a time of Brexit is going to be thorny.

The irony is Scotland helped the Tories over the line for a coalition. Incredible. Still difficult to see how May can survive long term.

I read on the Guardian that the DUP are "socially conservative and very pro-Brexit", so a coalition working towards a hard Brexit is still on the table.

But what a big fat fuck you to the Tories that was. Proud to see my hometown went 3/3 for Labour.

I read on the Guardian that the DUP are "socially conservative and very pro-Brexit", so a coalition working towards a hard Brexit is still on the table.

But what a big fat fuck you to the Tories that was. Proud to see my hometown went 3/3 for Labour.

As I understand it the DUP support Brexit but only a soft one that has minimal effects on the Irish border. But I don't know a whole lot about their stance.

am over the moon!! what a huge middle finger to May, and what an outstanding performance from Jeremy Corbyn! the smile on his face was priceless! oof turbulent times ahead for the UK but there is definitely a sense of hope and defiance in the air :heart:

i think if BoJo gets in it would be the nail in the coffin for the Tories if another general election is called for the autumn - he is a buffoon and embodies everything that is hated about the Tories - bring it on :D

Nationalisation of Adele: in order to maximise the efficient use of UK resources, the time is right for great British assets to be brought into public ownership for the common good. This is to be achieved through capital spending.

:lol:

I approve of Lord Buckethead :up:.

am over the moon!! what a huge middle finger to May, and what an outstanding performance from Jeremy Corbyn! the smile on his face was priceless! oof turbulent times ahead for the UK but there is definitely a sense of hope and defiance in the air :heart:

So last year Europe had the Brexit mess, and then the U.S. followed it up with an election that gave us Trump...

...does this mean that maybe the good turnaround Europe's having this year can filter its way over here to the States and give us some hope and defiance of some kind in turn :hmm: :hyper:?

Seriously, though, this is pretty fascinating stuff to read about here. I'm glad that you guys are so happy with the results thus far.

:lol:

I approve of Lord Buckethead :up:.

So last year Europe had the Brexit mess, and then the U.S. followed it up with an election that gave us Trump...

...does this mean that maybe the good turnaround Europe's having this year can filter its way over here to the States and give us some hope and defiance of some kind in turn :hmm: :hyper:?

Seriously, though, this is pretty fascinating stuff to read about here. I'm glad that you guys are so happy with the results thus far.

well, the Tories are apparently trying to do a deal with the DUP in Northern Ireland (who won 10 seats), to give them a majority to govern, so they could still be in power, but the great thing is they have no mandate from the people - they will be relying on Northern Ireland to get ANYTHING thru parliament which is incredibly ironic! this is a huge blow to them - they would have been better not to have this snap election which has backfired royally and weakened their position... the opposition hasn't had such a high percentage (over 40%!) since 1970 - this is just incredible and huge validation for Corbyn - he's definitely doing something right, especially against the shitload of abuse he's been getting from the Tories, the gutter press and his own party for all these years...

urgh

according to George Monbiot:

The DUP is stuffed with climate change deniers, homophobes and misogynists. May's alliance is a dishonourable coalition of chaos

Think of UKIP, supercharged with religious fundamentalism

apparently the DUP are very pro-Brexit but want to remain in the single market/freedom of movement - so a hard Brexit should be out of the picture

i think the tories are screwed and will need to own this mess, while Labour establishes a strong opposition and waits on the sidelines ready for the next election

Last edited:
By getting in with the DUP, the Tories will have shown that their 'Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser' shtick reeks of hypocrisy - though I'm not exactly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom