Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
"Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Revelation 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. "
Yes, I'm well aware of the Revelation paranoia that some will try and assign events like this, every year for centuries these passages have been used to make people fear what they don't know, the latest I heard was Obama and how he fit every description of the anti-Christ.

And if memory serves me right iron horse has made Revelation allusions to such things in the past...

but it still doesn't quite explain his often used answer of "we should all hold hands and sing 'we are the world'".

Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:41 PM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/ambrose...tarts_to_crack

From the comments:-

Quote:
I would say that the euro is toast. The deficits in Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal and Ireland are just too much for the lending markets to bear when it comes to rolling over sovereign debt and certainly too much for Germany to step in. The only way out is for these countries to leave the euro and let their own sovereign currency float to its true market value.
In the meantime, mass unemployment in Europe will lead to violent street riots. Once you see the security forces shooting people dead in the street then you know that things are seriously headed downhill.

alanhinruralsuffolk - the UK has had riots on the streets before - remember the poll tax riots in Toxteth and Bristol ? That was only soothed by applying lots of regeneration money into those areas. High tax and mass unemployment coupled with social benefit restrictions will soon enough bring people out on the streets of the UK.
I think 2009 is going to test economies and democracies to the max - and it could be sufficient for some of them to self destruct.

PaulW
December 10

Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Are the Irish still free?
No.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Quote:
"Revelation 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Revelation 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. "
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #20
She's the One

Local Time: 01:41 PM
I have a real question, and hopefully someone can give a me a nice, simple answer because this stuff isn't in my realm of experience.

If the Euro countries did want to go back to their old currency, how hard would that be, and how would it be achieved?

Please don't answer with a question about my opinions on this stuff; I don't have any.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I have a real question, and hopefully someone can give a me a nice, simple answer because this stuff isn't in my realm of experience.

If the Euro countries did want to go back to their old currency, how hard would that be, and how would it be achieved?
No clue, but I guess one would have to withdraw from the Maastricht Treaty and go through the lengthy and costly process of putting their own currency back in rotation.

In other news, Iceland considers adopting the Euro:

Quote:
Iceland is prepared to consider a variety of options to solve its currency problems, including the possibility of adopting the euro without joining the European Union, Prime Minister Geir Haarde said.

Haarde said in an interview Saturday that the financial crisis that had ravaged the Icelandic banking system and currency had underscored the pitfalls of managing a currency in a small, open economy.

"People are looking into the possibility of 'dollarization,' or unilateral adoption of the euro, which would probably raise a lot of eyebrows in the European Union," he said. "And a third possibility might be a currency board," a monetary authority that would be required to maintain a fixed exchange rate with a foreign currency.

"This is an open question at the moment," he added.
Quote:
Recent opinion polls show Icelanders warming toward EU membership and, in even greater numbers, backing adoption of the euro.
I think I read something last week about the Danish warming up to the Euro as well.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #22
New Yorker

The only way I would put an X on the vote to ditch the £ is is someone forged it for me! As long as I have breath in my body I would never agree to it. You can move on, but never forget
Old 12-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #23
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post

I think I read something last week about the Danish warming up to the Euro as well.
I think everyone's warming to the Euro at the moment given the current economic situation. The UK will probably have to beg to join soon!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji View Post
The only way I would put an X on the vote to ditch the £ is is someone forged it for me! As long as I have breath in my body I would never agree to it. You can move on, but never forget
Anji,

I doubt if the UK will join the euro, for what it's worth.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I think everyone's warming to the Euro at the moment given the current economic situation. The UK will probably have to beg to join soon!
Why?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #26
New Yorker

Quote:
Anji,

I doubt if the UK will join the euro, for what it's worth.

I agree with you! But that said, I don't trust this shady government to get it in by the back door! They know it would not win a vote, so they will just go behind our backs like they did on other things to do with the EU
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #27
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anji View Post
I agree with you! But that said, I don't trust this shady government to get it in by the back door! They know it would not win a vote, so they will just go behind our backs like they did on other things to do with the EU
How come you're really against us joining the Euro? And would they even need to put it to a referendum given that we're part of the EU as it is? It just seems like the natural next step for them to take - first the treaty, then the currency

Quote:
Why?
Have you not seen how far the Pound has fallen against both the Euro and the Dollar?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
Have you not seen how far the Pound has fallen against both the Euro and the Dollar?
To me, that is equally valid, if not more so, as an argument against the UK joining the eurozone.

Look at it this way: by allowing the pound to devalue, British exports become much cheaper, and accordingly more competitive, hence setting the seeds for an economic recovery (and possibly before the rest of Europe).

By contrast, were the UK to join the euro, its freedom to set its own exchange rate is removed and an instrument of economic policy is lost.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post

Please don't answer with a question about my opinions on this stuff; I don't have any.
Seemingly:-

Quote:
The independence of the ECB is embedded in the Treaties. A unanimous decision by all member states is required to change the Treaty.
FT.com | Willem Buiter’s Maverecon | Confessions of a crass Keynesian
Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #30
She's the One

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Quote:
Seemingly:-
(My understanding of monetary policy is the same as my understanding of the language spoken on Venus.) So, for a single country to restore its old currency, all the signatories to the treaty would have to agree?

I'll have to try that again later when I can focus.