U2 IS a conseravative band!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They weren't pro Gay Rights, Pro Abortion etc etc-81-83.

So they were more conservative.

Honesty Cap, Diemen you can do it.

And some of their conservative fans haven't moved in their beliefs while Bono and his mates have.

If anything Adam has become more consevative and less liberal since 1981-83.

<>

How in the world would you know what any of them felt about abortion or gay rights in 1983? None of them have ever given a strong, specific statement on either issue in recent years, other than saying all people deserve equal rights.

I was listening to them on stations like KROQ, in So Cal finding out all about them.

You were still in diapers sister.

Wow me too.
:)
I think the show you mentioned was in Fall 1981-you are lucky, Martha.
:)

I couldn't make it to any of their shows (involved in missionary work full time) until War (83) but I was studying lots about them-their music and lyrics hooked me in early on.

<>

So they were more conservative.

How do you do know they weren't pro gay rights? I don't recall that topic ever coming up in interviews.

And yes, they were more conservative. Doesn't mean they were conservative, full stop.

Honesty Cap, Diemen you can do it.

I already did it. Sorry if my honesty doesn't jive with your expectations.

And some of their conservative fans haven't moved in their beliefs while Bono and his mates have.
<>

Which just proves that the band members are smarter than some of their conservative fans. ;)

How do you do know they weren't pro gay rights? I don't recall that topic ever coming up in interviews.

And yes, they were more conservative. Doesn't mean they were conservative, full stop.

I already did it. Sorry if my honesty doesn't jive with your expectations.

D-

Didn't mean "full stop".

I commend you on your honesty- you said that were more conservative.

That I was a fan back then, (81-83)-they were being played on both Christian Stations and Progressive Radio Stations-they came across as a bit more conservative in those days-then they do now.

They arent played on Christian Stations as much these days.

It wasn't until the late 80s (Joshua Tree era) that I first heard Bono say he wasn't against Gay people; in other words Bono was becoming more liberal.

In the 90s he was vocal on on a Woman's Choice-but quiet in the 80s.

I don't think in 1981-83 that Bono ever voiced being pro gay or pro choice-in one of his rants, but has publicly since that time period.

So with you I agree that they were more conservative early on, and have evolved into a more liberal view since -based on spoken and unspoken comments.

<>

I commend you on your honesty- you said that were more consevative.

That that I was a fan back then, (81-83-they were being played on both Christian Stations and Progressive Radio Stations-they came across as a bit more conservative in those days-then they do now.

It wasn't until the late 80s (Joshua Tree ear that) that I first heard Bono say he wasn't against Gay people in other words Bono was becoming more liberal.

In the 90s he was vocal on on a Woman's Choice.

I don't think in 1981-83 that Bono ever voiced being pro gay or pro choice-in one of his rants, but has publicly since that time period.

So with you I agree that they were more conservative early on, and have evolved into a more liberal view since -based on spoken and unspoken statements.

<>

Your logic is typical diamond...

Using your logic I can say, that since McCain hasn't spoken out against neo-nazism in America he must be for it...

So say we all agree with you diamond.

That just goes to show that U2 managed to evolve in ways that most of your brethren haven't. I'm not sure this is something I'd want shouted from the rooftops.

"We're still backwards! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

how on earth do you know this? i think they've made it quite clear that they were friends with gay people in the 1970s in freaking Dublin -- you couldn't be a part of the art world in any city and afford to be homophobic.

i do, though, think that their understanding of these issues has evolved over the decades, much like everyone else's has. i don't think anyone views homosexuality in the same way today as they did in 1980 (unless you're trying to make some cosmic, eternal argument against marriage equality, which really means that you're essentially lying to yourself).

if you read the Flannagan book, you'll find lots and lots of very pro-gay quotes from Bono and especially Larry, and that was 15+ years ago.

how on earth do you know this?

if you read the Flannagan book, you'll find lots and lots of very pro-gay quotes from Bono and especially Larry, and that was 15+ years ago.

2008 minus15 yrs ago=

1993?

I already said Bono started to evolve into a more socially liberal person in the late 1980s, we're talking about 1981-83.

Remember, due to our age difference, I was in the scene-you weren't.

You young man, hadn't even heard of U2 in 1981, 82 or 3.

And I had friends at church, work and around town who were of the Gay persuasion, and similar to U2 kept them at arm's length in those days (81-83)...but U2 doesn't now, and hasn't since the late 1987 (JT Era).

Therefore U2 is less socially conservative now- than they were in 1981-83 and that is my point.

Politically, U2 has always been very liberal-no one can argue that..except on money issues.

<>

And I had friends at church, work and around town who were of the Gay persuasion, and similar to U2 kept them at arm's length in those days (81-83)...but U2 doesn't now, and hasn't since the late 1987 (JT Era).

How on Earth do you know that U2 kept gay people at arm's length? I recall Gavin Friday's band dressed up in drag quite often in those days, and members of U2, prior to being in U2, played with him.

Your logic is quite noticeably flawed. You simply don't know what U2's opinion on homosexuality was, but think you can deduce it when the evidence just isn't there to support you. Simply because they were more conservative in the early days does not mean that they were conservative in every stereotypical way and followed your notions of conservatism.

Politically, U2 has always been very liberal-no one can argue that..except on money issues.

<>

Though, I kind of suspect that even the most liberal wealthy artist whether musician or actor or what have you is probably quite "conservative" in the management of their wealth. Nobody--not even a liberal--is going to pay more taxes then they have to. Still I dont' know that U2 has ever been very vocal about the evils of "tax and spend" and the merits of "trickle down Reaganomics" (or the European versions of those issues). Perhaps someone can demonstrate otherwise?

Remember, due to our age difference, I was in the scene-you weren't.

You young man, hadn't even heard of U2 in 1981, 82 or 3.

This is about as bad as your "insider friend" stolen email post...

Fraud.

I quit you.

This thread annoys me, I don't give a stuff about the band off the bat, but from what I understand they minimize tax in Amsterdam, but even as a parody of some posters attitudes why does it matter on any issue!

Are peoples arguments so fucking weak that they can't defend them to a hilt? Do you really need a celebrity to justify your position?

U2 for all I care are a bunch of self interested millionaires who go about their way living a life with the burdens of fame, their rarefied views have absolutely no impact on what I think is good or bad, they could oppose Iraq and support Bosnia but it wouldn't impact my point of view.

Appeals to celebrities represent the ultimate forfeit of intellect and should negate any opinions, that goes for those that quote any celebrity ever.

How on Earth do you know that U2 kept gay people at arm's length? I recall Gavin Friday's band dressed up in drag quite often in those days, and members of U2, prior to being in U2, played with him.

Your logic is quite noticeably flawed. You simply don't know what U2's opinion on homosexuality was, but think you can deduce it when the evidence just isn't there to support you. Simply because they were more conservative in the early days does not mean that they were conservative in every stereotypical way and followed your notions of conservatism.

Believe me, Paul Hewson, wasn't hugging on gay guys openly and bringing them home as buddies to be introduced to his dad, to have dinner with he and his brother Norm Hewson in the early 1980s, nor was David Evans or Larry Mullens Jr. for that matter.

Give it up.

Heck Larry was nervous that they were turning into a Punk band-he had enough on his plate.

So, my liberal friends you cannot rewrite history on this one; I was there-you were not.

They had Bible studies everyday, struggled with social issues and were more socially conservative before they became famous-it's that simple.

<>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom