U2 IS a conseravative band!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 has never tried to sell their religion. Yes, their faith makes its way into a good deal of their music, their lyrics in particular, but most of the time, imo, its presence in the lyrics is so abstract that unless you're listening specifically for it, you can get through song after song without the thought of god or religion even crossing your mind. I believe this is intentional. U2 have never tried to sell their faith through their music. Their music has never been any of that 'God is an awesome God he is' bullshit. They've expressed their faith, but they've never tried to push it on anyone. I don't believe they're interested in the clique-ish nature that many religious Americans tend to view their faith with. It could be argued that trying to pigeonhole them based on their religion goes against everything they stand for.

And although I obviously can't be certain, I'm as sure as I can be given the circumstances that they are at least more liberal than conservative, and it has nothing to do with their religion.

'God is an awesome God he is' bullshit.

Hey now. . .the author of that song is about the only artist out there that I'm a bigger fan of than U2.

His name was Rich Mullins and this guy was the furthest thing from "selling his religion."

just sayin. . .

Just noticed my thread title.

You know I actually do know how to spell "conservative." :reject:

Hey, I got a crying 6 week old kid. . that's my excuse!

Am I the only one who gets an almost irresistible urge to belt out "We're a conservative band...woooooooo!" Grand Funk style when I see this thread title?

:reject:

Hey now. . .the author of that song is about the only artist out there that I'm a bigger fan of than U2.

His name was Rich Mullins and this guy was the furthest thing from "selling his religion."

just sayin. . .

It was in a commercial for a Christian music compilation...every song in this commercial was of the 'God is great', 'Praise Jesus' variety. I just picked the first one the popped into my mind, and that happened to be 'God Is An Awesome God'.

I think you and many others automatically equate religion or faith to conservative.

Not the case.

Fair and open minded people would know this...:wink:

:up:

Honestly, I've never once thought of U2 as a politically conservative group of individuals. So B'ohno had a chat with Bush. BFD.

It was in a commercial for a Christian music compilation...every song in this commercial was of the 'God is great', 'Praise Jesus' variety. I just picked the first one the popped into my mind, and that happened to be 'God Is An Awesome God'.

Yeah, Rich Mullins actually wasn't particularly happy about how his song was taken and often misunderstood as he saw it. He especially didn't like that most times people sing it chorus only without the verses which lend a rather different vibe to the song. Imagine if all people ever sang of Pride was "In the name of love, what more in the name love" and you get the idea.

The "Praise Jesus" variety of music as you described, commonly known as "Praise and Worship" in Christian circles has been something of a fad for the past number of years. It's really not the sort of music that I think really will make a whole lot of sense to those outside the Christian subculture. I personally enjoy a lot of it, as it has personal spiritual meaning to me, but the marketing of it and the fact that every Christian artist and their mother is putting out a "Praise and Worship" album is mildly annoying.

But back to topic--yes, U2 is definitely conservative. Just listen to "If God Will Send His Angels" :yes:

Conservative, as in: family values, community, friendship, loyality etc.? Oh yes.

Conservative in the political or religious sense? Err, I don't think so.

sweet pea, there are some very, very liberal Christians out there. Bono is one of them.

:hug:

thank you..

diamond u are really reaching here as usual and have way too much time on your hands to come up with that wild ass theory.

i too, agree that just because you are religious doesn't not necessarily equate being conservative...

faith-1-200a071807.jpg

Would the majority of the posters in this thread be brave enough by putting on their "honesty caps" and answering me but one question truthfully?

<>

That's an awfully broad question. Generally less so, though there are exceptions. Doesn't mean they were "conservative" in 81-83, though.

That's an awfully broad question. Generally less so, though there are exceptions. Doesn't mean they were "conservative" in 81-83, though.

They weren't pro Gay Rights, Pro Abortion etc etc-81-83.

So they were more conservative.

Honesty Cap, Diemen you can do it.

And some of their conservative fans haven't moved in their beliefs while Bono and his mates have.

If anything Adam has become more consevative and less liberal since 1981-83.

<>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom