U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Influences? A Church Shooting Tragedy from July 2008.

[I sometimes have trouble during the day/eve staying on the net. Often late night a consistent signal is better]

When a caller talked abut this this afternoon (1-11-11), I sort of remembered it, and went to look it up.

this is from the Knowville Sentinel from Tennessee
m.knoxnews.com

Taylor Bessette calls his foster father, Greg McKendry, a 'hero' for stepping in front of a gunman who entered the sanctuary at Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church and started shooting during a children's production of "Annie Jr."

Police found right-wing political books, brass knuckles, empty shotgun shell boxes and a handgun in the Powell home of a man who said he attacked a church in order to kill liberals "who are ruining the country," court records show.

Knoxville police Sunday evening searched the Levy Drive home of Jim David Adkisson after he allegedly entered the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church and killed two people and wounded six others during the presentation of a children's musical.

Knoxville Police Department Officer Steve Still requested the search warrant after interviewing Adkisson. who was subdued by several church members after firing three rounds from a 12-gauge shotgun into the congregation.

Adkisson targeted the church, Still wrote in the document obtained by WBIR-TV, Channel 10, "because of its liberal teachings and his belief that all liberals should be killed because they were ruining the country, and that he felt that the Democrats had tied his country's hands in the war on terror and they had ruined every institution in America with the aid of media outlets."

Adkisson told Still that "he could not get to the leaders of the liberal movement that he would then target those that had voted them in to office."

Adkisson told officers he left the house unlocked for them because "he expected to be killed during the assault."

Inside the house, officers found "Liberalism is a Mental Health Disorder" by radio talk show host Michael Savage, "Let Freedom Ring" by talk show host Sean Hannity, and "The O'Reilly Factor," by television talk show host Bill O'Reilly.

The shotgun-wielding suspect in Sunday's mass shooting at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church was motivated by a hatred of "the liberal movement," and he planned to shoot until police shot him, Knoxville Police Chief Sterling P. Owen IV said this morning.

Adkisson, 58, of Powell wrote a four-page letter in which he stated his "hatred of the liberal movement," Owen said. "Liberals in general, as well as gays."

Adkisson said he also was frustrated about not being able to obtain a job, Owen said.

The letter, recovered from Adkisson's black 2004 Ford Escape, which was parked in the church's parking lot at 2931 Kingston Pike, indicates he had been planning the shooting for about a week.

"He fully expected to be killed by the responding police," the police chief said.

Owen said Adkisson specifically targeted the church for its beliefs, rather than a particular member of the congregation.

"It appears that church had received some publicity regarding its liberal stance," the chief said. The church has a "gays welcome" sign and regularly runs announcements in the News Sentinel about meetings of the Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays meetings at the church.

Owen said Adkisson's stated hatred of the liberal movement was not necessarily connected to any hostility toward Christianity or religion per say, but rather the political advocacy of the church.

[ I sometimes have trouble during the day/eve staying on the net. Often late night a consistent signal is better ]

This was on Rush's Offical site

The officer's who stopped Loughner were Fish, Game & Wildlife officers stopping him for running a red light . He was polite etc.They felt no reason to detain him.

The Loughner note was found AFTER the shootings, when the Sheriff was at Loughner's parents' home looking in a safe.

:|

Let his LIE speak for itself.

Even another conservative talk show host yesterday called Rush out for lying about this. I thought right wing media was only a watchdog? I thought they were only a reaction?

But what's sad is that his worshippers won't even bat an eye, lying is part of the propaganda, they can't tell the difference anymore. It's just good facts and bad facts to them.

Good God, I can't believe the inappropriate behavior of this crowd.

I think it might be what they were saying on CNN-that the atmosphere in Tucson has been so sad and scared that they just really needed something to cheer about. I know that sounds so strange but people do behave in odd ways (maybe not for them but others can perceive it to be) sometimes when grieving, and in situations when they feel complete loss of control.

I didn't care for the yelling out after his speech, as if it was a campaign rally. I think it was only one or two people but still.. I'm sure he will be accused of turning it onto that by some people. For me the devoted father and husband side of him is the best side and the most emotional and real. He tries to control his emotions too much and when I can see them I like it.

My take on this and I'm sure I'll be bashed for this afterward I'm sure it will be the regular suspects.

Many of you know that I'm a long time Republican who has become so disenfranchised with the Party. Names like Palin, Beck, Hannity and what has become of Rush makes me want to vomit. These people have hijacked this party and I could imagine what Reagan would have thought of the arse-clown that Palin is.

What I wish would happen with all of these people is show some testicular fortitude and admit that quite possibly the infammatory remarks and volitile (infantile) imagery that they all use might have had something to do with this tragedy. Maybe they could going forward is rise above there childish rantings and start playing above board. In my mind the Dem's have showed there true colors as usual talking a great game but not quite ever getting things done as they promise. These are the things these fucknuts should be focusing on but they have to play the lowest common denominator they are all hacks and I hope someone in the Republican Party will step up and highlight these morons.

Originally posted by dazzedbylight
The officer's who stopped Loughner were Fish, Game & Wildlife officers stopping him for running a red light . He was polite etc.They felt no reason to detain him.

The Loughner note was found AFTER the shootings, when the Sheriff was at Loughner's parents' home looking in a safe.

:|

Let his LIE speak for itself.
that's what is so irritating about the conservative radio talk show hosts - the whole story isn't out - there are a whole segment of the population that receives their information from Rush Limbaugh and FOX NEWS, unfortunately IF these outlets were ever true NEWS and Rush was a "responsible" talking head - perhaps there wouldn't be the hate from one side to the other.. They would continue the story to include the facts -

This is just my opinion - but I have stated this many times to those that would listen - Since President Obama took office - there has been more hate, more what I perceive as 'white supremacy' individuals and groups that find all that Obama does wrong, just because he is a man of color.

What I see and again my opinion, is a group of "good ol' white boys/girls" that cannot stand to see a man of color in the White House. The hate we see is that Obama isn't white to begin with.

I was so pleased that Obama was elected in 2008 - thinking we had moved along - side note - as a small child in Detroit MI we had segregation in our schools and busing to the schools to integate black and whites. It was an interesting and scary time for a small white girl in downtown Detroit. Our family was one of two white family's on the block.

I think that's what some conservative outlets see and sometimes have to concede to - that he is a great speaker and that seems to bother them. That Obama can rise above the TP's that seem to be pervasive in both the right and left wings of the media - the truth is somewhere in the middle if you ask me - I know - you didn't..

To quote Rodney King of LA after the riots in the early 90's - "can't we all just get along?"

I won't hold my breath - our country really has more problems than just this - raising the debt ceiling - eliminating tax cuts that add 900 billion to the debt - and has NOT helped with the unemployment problems nor helped businesses hire more people.

JMHO

Bull. Crap.

groups that find all that Obama does wrong, just because he is a man of color.

Please provide evidence that anything even close to anything resembling a large number of people on the right have a problem with Obama because of the color of his skin.

that cannot stand to see a man of color in the White House. The hate we see is that Obama isn't white to begin with.

Provide evidence.

I, alongside 99% of conservatives, have ZERO problem with a black person being president, ma'am. ZERO. As I've said before, I'd love to see a President Rice or a President Powell or a President Cain or a President Watts, as would millions of other conservatives. Prove that I and others on the right would indeed have a problem with any of these presidents based on skin color. What you cannot stand is the fact that we don't like him because of his policies.

My God. I know this place is overwhelmingly left, but the fact that saying things like this goes unchallenged here in incredibly frustrating and very telling. Respectfully, I don't care if this is your opinion. It's wrong, it's unfounded, and it's dangerous.

Provide evidence.

not to sound too flip, but this is America. lots of white people have problems with black people. lots. (and vice versa). the history of racism isn't dead simply because you aren't a racist, or simply because a black person is president.

i know you don't, and i know that most conservatives/Republicans don't believe that they do either. but i don't see how race has nothing to do with Obama, since he is black, and i really do think that there is a strong but clear streak withing the Tea Party that is experiencing what might be known as cultural panic. i do agree that the Tea Party began because some people don't like to pay taxes. it's roots are absolutely economic. but because Obama is black it's impossible for any opposition to him not to attract people who are either outright racist (probably a minority within a minority) as well as people who are feeling more and more uncomfortable as the America of 2010 looks much different compared to the America of 1980 or even the America of 1960.

i don't think that most opposition to Obama is racist. i do think that any black president is going to draw out the racists, and i do think that any black president is going to inspire cultural panic amongst older white people who no longer live in the same world in which they grew up. so it's less racism and more nativism -- why else would Palin talk about "real" Americans?

I, alongside 99% of conservatives, have ZERO problem with a black person being president, ma'am. ZERO.

I'm glad you disagree with Glenn "Obama is racist" Beck, Rush "Barack the Magic Negro" Limbaugh and Dinesh "Obama is a Kenyan Anti-Colonialist" D'Souza.

Last edited:
I'm with you 2861 that lemon_drop made some unfounded generalizations, BUT to say 99% is a BIG stretch. There is a sizeable portion and I think your party will do it self a service by acknowledging that...

true enough. i did forget about Rush -- it's less that Rush is a racist, and more that he baits the latent (or overt) racism in his audience.

it's what the GOP does with gays. most Senators aren't homophobic (hard to be homophobic in a city that's at least 10% gay), and most have gay staff members. but they know that kicking gays helps with their constituents (watch them try to repeal DC's marriage equality laws this years), so they use it to their advantage.

wielding the specter of a black man who wants reparations redistribution of wealth absolutely plays into racial tensions that have existed since Reconstruction.

There is a sizeable portion and I think your party will do it self a service by acknowledging that...

We do whenever possible and like it when you fire (or let go, or the person magically quits) communists on your side like Van Jones or Anita Dunn. There's always a fringe group or should I say "cringe" group that needs a verbal kick in the teeth.

For example this anti-growth guy needs to know that economic growth is what lifts people out of poverty and his solution would increase unemployment.:

YouTube - Scientist: Reducing population is the "master variable"

Remember a lot of what media conservatives say can also be done in this fashion:

-Oh so the Tea Party and Sarah Palin are responsible for lunatic shooters so then.....

then they come up with a scenario that's similar and use it on the left to make their point. Not all of it is literal and yes much of it is speculation and not really a conversation about policy decisions all the time. I would prefer policy discussions but when a fire of accusations alights a whole bunch of people want to spend hours on the internet and on talk radio clarifying templates, assertions and talking points. Some of what the right wing media does (especially with Rush) is expected it to be taken out of context. Then the listeners hear the actual context and compare to the liberal literal translation and start listening to Rush more. :D

Bull. Crap.

Please provide evidence that anything even close to anything resembling a large number of people on the right have a problem with Obama because of the color of his skin.

Provide evidence.

I, alongside 99% of conservatives, have ZERO problem with a black person being president, ma'am. ZERO. As I've said before, I'd love to see a President Rice or a President Powell or a President Cain or a President Watts, as would millions of other conservatives. Prove that I and others on the right would indeed have a problem with any of these presidents based on skin color. What you cannot stand is the fact that we don't like him because of his policies.

99% ? I find that percentage just as interesting as you find my opinion that I think that some have "issues" with the color of the skin of our President.
And the racist rhetoric espoused by Rush Limbaugh isn't racist?

Perhaps the following about conservative comments on the political right - and btw I'm more centrist than left - IMHO I could see a Republican point of view when it isn't peppered with illogical, unintelligent comments.
Just because there is a (D) after a politician's name doesn't mean that I will vote for that candidate.
February 2009 - the NY Post ran a racist cartoon - and apologized two days later in print. That cartoon depicted Pres. Obama as a dead monkey with two policemen, with the comments "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill"
Source: New York Post apologises over 'racist' Barack Obama cartoon - Telegraph
July 28, 2009 - FOX and Friends - Glen Beck calling out Barack Obama as a "racist" and "who has a deep-seated hatred for white people" Proctor and Gamble, Lawyers.com and Progressive Insurance pulled their advertising dollars.
July 2009 - Rush Limbaugh made these statements about Pres. Obama - Limbaugh called Obama "the most-racial president" During the July 22 edition of his radio show, Rush Limbaugh said, "So, we're supposed to have a post-racial president. Instead, Barack Obama is the most-racial president.":
Source: http://mediamatters.org/research/201008130049
September/October 2009 - Many schools and school administrators decided that Obama's speech was too inflammatory and while the text of the speech had been screened - Obama was to encourage kids to stay in school and get a good education.
Source: http://articles.cnn.com/2009-09-04/...eech-policy-speech-white-house?_s=PM:POLITICS
Lets not forget Laura Schlessinger - Conservative radio talk show host and I believe she has an audience that perhaps people will tune into and listen, versus Rush Limbaugh who is an acquired taste.

Laura Schlessinger used the "n" word repeatedly throughout and radio program and called a African-American caller that "she had a chip on her shoulder"
Stephen Colbert called out Ms. Schlessinger according to TPM.
Stephen Colbert had conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham on his show last night to promote her new book, The Obama Diaries, which is made up of fake diary entries by the President.
Colbert read from one entry: "It's the era of 'Barack The Beautiful,' long may I reign," and then asked, "What are the odds that Barack Obama's private musings would completely and perfectly match up with the narrative that the right is trying to push about him?"
Colbert comments:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar..._colbert_on_dr_laura_schlessingers.html?cat=2

Source:http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5683012/dr_laura_schlessinger_spews_the_nword.html?cat=2
July 2009
Beck: "[R]acist" is "too small of a word" to describe "those in power." On July 26, Beck said that "I have learned a lot. We don't need to call people names. We don't have to. Their words are evidence enough. They cannot make the argument in the open. They know no man of any color would choose to be enslaved, so they have to lie, they have to cheat. I don't think that those in power and those who seek even more power are racists, as I have come to understand that 'racist' is too small of a word. I believe these people will enslave any man -- it doesn't matter what color they are":

Again in July 2010 - We have the Shirley Sherrod tape that was "altered".
Sherrod, a former director of rural development for the state of Georgia, resigned from the Agriculture Department last week -- forced out by the Obama administration after video of her delivering remarks at an NAACP banquet, recounting an incident that occurred in 1986, was posted by a conservative media outlet.
This isn't the greatest of examples and there was a rush to judgement - IMHO
Source: ABC NEWS
July 2009 - this is the next one depicting Pres Obama as 'witch doctor' this was on Sunday night, Dr. David McKalip forwarded to fellow members of a Google listserv affiliated with the Tea Party movement the image below. Above it, he wrote: "Funny stuff."

So I'm working on examples with proof with a search on the internet - however, I believe that you cannot believe ALL that you read. I have heard some of these things.
But one of the biggest things that I believe that some say that Obama wasn't born in the US.
This poll indicates that 27% believe that Pres Obama wasn't born in the US. There are other polls that I cannot put my finger on at this moment that indicate in addition to the disbelief of his citizenship and therefore his right to serve as President. That poll indicates that around 20-23% are unsure. The following link is to the poll in August 2010. This "birther" issue I believe is rooted partially in racial discrimination.
Source:http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/112619-poll-27-of-americans-doubt-obamas-birthplace

I find this disheartening that we and I mean WE as a country cannot find a way to come together and respect our President. I truly believe that he has our best interest at heart.
OK - let the firing begin. I won't be around for a few hours to defend myself nor my links that I posted.

Sorry I'm still adding the links - thanks for your patience!

Last edited:
that's what is so irritating about the conservative radio talk show hosts - the whole story isn't out - there are a whole segment of the population that receives their information from Rush Limbaugh and FOX NEWS, unfortunately IF these outlets were ever true NEWS and Rush was a "responsible" talking head - perhaps there wouldn't be the hate from one side to the other.. They would continue the story to include the facts -

This is just my opinion - but I have stated this many times to those that would listen - Since President Obama took office - there has been more hate, more what I perceive as 'white supremacy' individuals and groups that find all that Obama does wrong, just because he is a man of color.

What I see and again my opinion, is a group of "good ol' white boys/girls" that cannot stand to see a man of color in the White House. The hate we see is that Obama isn't white to begin with.

I was so pleased that Obama was elected in 2008 - thinking we had moved along - side note - as a small child in Detroit MI we had segregation in our schools and busing to the schools to integate black and whites. It was an interesting and scary time for a small white girl in downtown Detroit. Our family was one of two white family's on the block.

I think that's what some conservative outlets see and sometimes have to concede to - that he is a great speaker and that seems to bother them. That Obama can rise above the TP's that seem to be pervasive in both the right and left wings of the media - the truth is somewhere in the middle if you ask me - I know - you didn't..

To quote Rodney King of LA after the riots in the early 90's - "can't we all just get along?"

I won't hold my breath - our country really has more problems than just this - raising the debt ceiling - eliminating tax cuts that add 900 billion to the debt - and has NOT helped with the unemployment problems nor helped businesses hire more people.

JMHO

Unfortunately, l_d, there is a still a strong streak of rascism in the USA. :( While Democrats are not exempt it seems to be more concetrated in the Republican Party in some leaders and definately some followers.

Yes, they really can not take it that a black man IS President. Even President Clinton (who was hated by more Eliten Republicans as a poorer almost " a trailer parker", and who interupted the Bush "inevitabilty") did not receive as much hate (and he recieved a lot- Newt Gingrich and other's started a deliberate strategy of defaming Democrats[/I] in the mid-nineties - i'll try to C&P later) didn't get as much hate as President Obama.

Secret Service reports President Obama is geting 300% - 400% threats increase. His policy's are note too disimilar from President Clinton a range of liberal to middle Democratic . SO what's different? The skin color.:sigh: :(

Interesting background, l_d.

In late grade school & in special Art & Music HS is where I met African-Americans & Afro-Caaribbeans. WHile the one different thing was I went out of my way to interact with them because they were not so many; i made friendships the way I made friendships with my white friends by shared interests and how much of our personality's mes The nabe I grew up most in eaerly on (I was Catholic) was 65% Jewish, a bunch of Catholics, and Christians, Anti-Castro Cubans and Puerto Ricans.

My take on this and I'm sure I'll be bashed for this afterward I'm sure it will be the regular suspects.

Many of you know that I'm a long time Republican who has become so disenfranchised with the Party. Names like Palin, Beck, Hannity and what has become of Rush makes me want to vomit. These people have hijacked this party and I could imagine what Reagan would have thought of the arse-clown that Palin is.

What I wish would happen with all of these people is show some testicular fortitude and admit that quite possibly the infammatory remarks and volitile (infantile) imagery that they all use might have had something to do with this tragedy. Maybe they could going forward is rise above there childish rantings and start playing above board. In my mind the Dem's have showed there true colors as usual talking a great game but not quite ever getting things done as they promise. These are the things these fucknuts should be focusing on but they have to play the lowest common denominator they are all hacks and I hope someone in the Republican Party will step up and highlight these morons.

Thank you for this post.

I agree with what you've said about both sides. For the sake of Republicans like yourself, I sincerely hope your party can get itself together, because the mess it currently is in is adding very little to US democracy. I feel genuinely bad when I hear about good people from either side leaving public life (as in the article I posted last night) because of how crazy-making politics has become. Even if I don't ideologically agree with most Republican points, I do believe that democracy is at its healthiest when society has competing but reasonable policies to choose from, delivered by competing but reasonable people, to shape their nation.

Why is there such name calling such as "fucknuts" while that's a new label for Democrats or anyone - name calling and refusing to work together is perhaps the reason the Congress isn't getting things done.

Apparently, some people were not listening to the President last night.

At least somebody was.

Glenn-and-Bono1-640x480.jpg

Interesting background, l_d.

In late grade school & in special Art & Music HS is where I met African-Americans & Afro-Caaribbeans. WHile the one different thing was I went out of my way to interact with them because they were not so many; i made friendships the way I made friendships with my white friends by shared interests and how much of our personality's mes The nabe I grew up most in eaerly on (I was Catholic) was 65% Jewish, a bunch of Catholics, and Christians, Anti-Castro Cubans and Puerto Ricans.
You as well - I had black girlfriends that played Barbie with me. So that was cool - we stayed for six years until we moved to the outskirts of Detroit - 1 block outside of Dearborn where we lived until I was 11 then we moved to WA state.
I do remember the mayhem that accompanied those times and conversations after my parents thought I was asleep - I wasn't afraid but evidently the parents were -

Why is there such name calling such as "fucknuts" while that's a new label for Democrats or anyone - name calling and refusing to work together is perhaps the reason the Congress isn't getting things done.

Read his post again. He's referring to Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, et al. People within his own party who he feels have hijacked it. He's angry, and rightfully so, imo. If a faction of wingnuts took over my party, I'd be pissed, too.

Another issue is the increase of White Militia in the US - THIS is disconcerting.

Since President Obama’s election, there’s been a surge in hate crimes, political murders and assassination threats in this country. Right-wing militias are on the rise in several states, and high rates of unemployment have further stoked anger against racial minorities and recent immigrants. Independent filmmakers Rick Rowley and Jacquie Soohen go inside the white nationalist movement to file an exclusive report. [includes rush transcript]
Source:White Power USA: The Rise of Right-Wing Militias in America

Read his post again. He's referring to Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, et al. People within his own party who he feels have hijacked it. He's angry, and rightfully so, imo. If a faction of wingnuts took over my party, I'd be pissed, too.

Thanks I'm heading out the door for work -
My apologies for mis-reading this post - my bad!:doh:

I'm glad you disagree with Glenn "Obama is racist" Beck, Rush "Barack the Magic Negro" Limbaugh and Dinesh "Obama is a Kenyan Anti-Colonialist" D'Souza.

Thank you. Let's not also forget the signs I've seen at rallies with the "n" word on them (one of which I recall being misspelled, too, which just makes it all the sadder/funnier), the e-mail sent out by that one guy with pictures of watermelons all over the White House lawn, the infamous shot of Obama on a sign where he's dressed up like some scary jungle voodoo witch doctor or whatever during the whole healthcare debate. And then of course the endless stream of, "Where's his birth certificate? Was he really born in America?" or "He's a secret Muslim!" And the constant debate during '08 about whether or not he was "black enough" for some people. Are people here actually honestly saying they need proof of such discriminatory remarks? Seriously? Have you not been paying attention the last couple years?

There's examples on the left, too. Chris Matthews saying after one speech that for a moment he forgot that Obama was black (????? WTF, Chris? :doh:), Harry Reid's comment about Obama's "Negro dialect", the rumors about some of the Clintons' behavior towards him during the '08 campaign.

But it's been particularly strong on the conservative side. It's great that conservatives here in Interference don't give two shakes about Obama's skin color, that's fantastic, and you're certainly not being thrown into that boat. But there are those out there who DO. And you can't deny that that played into this. He's our first president of color, it was pretty much a given that there was going to be some racially motivated attacks on him.

Heck, I'll even say that some of it may not be outright racism amongst people, not the kind that we're all used to seeing images of, with calls for lynchings and KKK rallies and burning crosses or other sorts of blatant examples like that. Just...a bit of uncomfortableness. It may "take some getting used to" for some people who live in areas where there aren't a hell of a lot of other people of color around (areas in which I've lived-I can only imagine how people in the town I lived in in Wyoming must feel about Obama). Sort of like my grandparents. They hated the KKK and all they stood for. They never, ever wished ill will on black people. They'd interact with them when needed. They just, you know, weren't all that comfortable around them, or were a bit nervous about what neighbors would think of them being around such people.

Whatever you call this attitude some have about him, it's disgusting and disturbing and it HAS happened and IS happening, and it is way, WAY past time for the Republican/conservative side in general to start addressing it and calling people out on it en masse.

Angela

There's examples on the left, too. Chris Matthews saying after one speech that for a moment he forgot that Obama was black (????? WTF, Chris? :doh:), Harry Reid's comment about Obama's "Negro dialect", the rumors about some of the Clintons' behavior towards him during the '08 campaign.

this is a great point -- it reminds us that, even if you are the biggest Obama supporter alive, race still acts as a filter through which we understand each other. notions of a "race-blind" society are a white person's fantasy -- race is real, and experienced, and lived-in every day. race is absolutely a factor in how we understand President Obama, on both sides, and all sides.

Glenn "Obama is racist" Beck,

Of course I disagree with that. I did the moment he said it. He's long-since apologized for it and said he doesn't believe that. So eager to bring this up, do you denounce people on the left carelessly calling Republicans racist?

Rush "Barack the Magic Negro" Limbaugh

Have you heard the song, or are you just going by the title? The song is sung from Al Sharpton's point-of-view, in seeing how white people were much more responsive to Obama's candidacy than his. If anything, it's an attack on whites who'll vote for Obama, yet might be hesitant to vote for someone who is perceived as much more urban, like Sharpton. Earl Ofari Hutchinson called the song tasteless but also accurate. Is it tasteless? Sure. Is it accurate? I think so.

and Dinesh "Obama is a Kenyan Anti-Colonialist" D'Souza.

I honestly don't follow this guy, but based on the quote (until I do more research on the guy or find that it's out of context), then yes, I'll disagree with that.

Have you heard the song, or are you just going by the title? The song is sung from Al Sharpton's point-of-view, in seeing how white people were much more responsive to Obama's candidacy than his. If anything, it's an attack on whites who'll vote for Obama, yet might be hesitant to vote for someone who is perceived as much more urban, like Sharpton. Earl Ofari Hutchinson called the song tasteless but also accurate. Is it tasteless? Sure. Is it accurate? I think so.
I've heard the song. Several times. Also heard how proud Rush is that he commissioned it.

It's tasteless and racist, no matter how you cut it.

The song wouldn't have been commissioned if Obama was white.

Of course I disagree with that.

i know that you do. i absolutely do. i do not think you're a racist. (though you did surmise that the Giffords shooter was probably an illegal immigrant). i don't think that most conservatives under the age of 40 (maybe even 50) have a problem with Obama's race, or with having a non-white president (it's more than that he's black, it's that he's not white).

but do you see the point that there is opposition to Obama it is, indeed, rooted in racism? and, furthermore, that many (not all) on the Right create a space for racists (and those given to broader cultural panic) to feel welcome and affirmed?

i came across this post on another blog, and wanted to repost it here, because i think it's one of those "only in America" moments:

"Does anyone else see the irony in this tragedy? In Arizona, the state that has been the de facto "face" of recent political gay bashing (DADT-McCain) and racism (their highly controversial immigration law), a white straight man shoots a female Jewish member of congress who then has her life saved by a gay Hispanic American. It's poetic."

I'm not sure what the "master variable" guy has to do with this :scratch:

Just an example of a fringe leftist.

I was gonna say, I had to do a double take at that picture. What a strange, strange gathering.

Interesting quote there, Irvine.

Angela

I didn't expect that either. Of course they are all rich and famous.

Back
Top Bottom