U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spirit-Level.jpg

Wow. This is really unfortunate.

Black GOP Official Resigns, Citing Arizona Tea Party Threats

Black GOP Official Resigns, Citing Arizona Tea Party Threats
Updated: The sole black Republican Party district chairman in Arizona resigned from his post in the wake of Saturday's shooting, citing threats from the Tea Party faction and concerns for his family's safety, The Arizona Republic first reported.

Republican District 20 Chairman Anthony Miller was not the only party official to resign following the shooting that killed six and wounded 14 others, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and a federal judge. But Miller had been an especially dedicated campaigner for the GOP, and said he only stepped down in the face of "constant verbal attacks" and other forms of intimidation.

"I wasn't going to resign but decided to quit after what happened Saturday," he said. "I love the Republican Party but I don't want to take a bullet for anyone."

Miller, 43, told HuffPost he decided to resign after his wife expressed concern for their safety. Miller had been the target of heavy criticism from Arizona Tea Partyers, in part because he worked on Sen. John McCain's campaign last fall. (The Tea Partyers favored McCain's opponent, J.D. Hayworth.)

But the attacks also took on a racial hue. One critic referred to him derogatorily as "McCain's boy," Miller said. Other language was even less ambiguous. At an event in Lake Havasu City, Ariz., Miller said someone called out, "There's Anthony, get a rope."

Yet Miller balks at crying racism.

"To say that anyone has been racially motivated, I can't really draw a conclusion," he said. "But a lot of people told me 'You're not a conservative, you're a RINO.' In my mind, that's just as bad as being called a n-----, honestly. When you call someone a n-----, it's saying they're less than, and RINO is the same thing."
Story continues below
Advertisement

Newly-elected district Secretary Sophia Johnson, First Vice Chairman Roger Dickinson, and former district spokesman Jeff Kolb are also stepping down, according to the Republic, although Dickinson contested the claim that they are all going willingly.

"I did not resign from my position," Dickinson told HuffPost in an interview Wednesday afternoon. "The articles in the paper are incorrect ... Sophia Johnson did resign, but not for the reason that's quoted in The Arizona Republic."

Dickinson, whose move last year made him ineligible to retain his leadership post, said he will continue to serve the Arizona Republican Party in the voluntary position of precinct committee person.

Kolb told HuffPost he was, in fact, resigning, but that it wasn't out of fear -- he was following Miller's lead. "For me personally, it's not a fear for my personal safety, it just had to do with the tone and tenor within the organization," said Kolb, who was appointed to the volunteer position by Miller a year ago.

The party became fractured between Miller supporters and a "small but vocal group" of detractors who frequently targeted Miller in emails, Kolb said.

Tension between the two factions had been growing since early December, but Kolb said he and other Miller appointees made the final decision to resign this weekend. When Miller decided to step down, Kolb said, he knew he would be removed from the post if he did not step down himself. He officially resigned on Monday.

"I've never understood why they had this hatred for him," Kolb said of Miller's opponents. "I guess there were some people who thought that since he'd worked for McCain he wasn't conservative enough. But if your goal is to get Republicans elected, then being bogged down in a bunch of fighting about who is conservative enough is not an effective way to do that."

Miller signaled on Wednesday he feared the polarization he'd experienced in Arizona state politics would extend beyond incendiary rhetoric.

"We don't have to agree but we have to respect each other," said Miller of his fellow Republicans. "I just saw that respect chipping away, and when you lose that respect, that's where violence occurs."

Watching now...

Good God, I can't believe the inappropriate behavior of this crowd.

I just got home and turned it on - in case they've settled down, what was going on that was inappropriate?

This is kind of weird, with all the applause. I know it's meant to show appreciation, but it's making it seem like a State of the Union address, where there's applause after every other sentence. Even though it's a public event and not just all the elected folks.

I got teary when he said Gifford had opened her eyes, and then they showed her husband and Michelle clasping hands.

This is not just reminding me of a State of the Union address - it's the SotU crossed with a memorial crossed with a pep rally, what with all that screaming and cheering.

"More celebratory than somber" - thanks, Sheperd Smith. That sums it up better than I did.

Was there a memorial for Sarah Palin? Don't forget she's a victim too!

Watching now...

Good God, I can't believe the inappropriate behavior of this crowd.

Yeah it was very weird at first... fuel to the fire tomorrow no doubt, but I think overall a great way to memorialize those that lost their lives, injured, and the current climate talk.

As others have said, it was a bit weird, but sounds like the people there seemed to be OK with the pep rally type atmosphere.

But i'm sure there will be a ton of negative press.

14,000 people on a university campus who needed release and inspiration and wanted to show support. Whaddayagonnado. :shrug:

My tissue count is 3. Beautiful job.

Guess I haven't paid him much attention lately...has he ever aged.

I hope the crowd behavior doesn't become a big issue. I don't think it should be. Let's focus on the President's words, which were strong, poetic, and deeply heartfelt.

If I see a rain puddle tonight, I'm jumping the fuck into it.

She's also apparently decided she's Jewish. Or just wanted to throw an anti-Semitic slur out there. Adding insult to injury on a few levels.

Sarah Palin is so painfully stupid. That's my reasoning with respect to her use of blood libel.

"This is of course a particularly heinous term for American Jews, given that the repeated fiction of blood libels are directly responsible for the murder of so many Jews across centuries -- and given that blood libels are so directly intertwined with deeply ingrained anti-Semitism around the globe, even today", NJDC President and CEO David A. Harris said in a statement.

"Perhaps Sarah Palin honestly does not know what a blood libel is, or does not know of their horrific history; that is perhaps the most charitable explanation we can arrive at in explaining her rhetoric today," the statement said.

I missed his speech, too, as I had to work this evening. I'll definitely make sure to catch it when it gets posted online, though, absolutely.

Perhaps the easiest way to illegally obtain a gun is to steal one from a private home. This happens all of the time. Many people who own guns are still incredibly lax about storing them safely and securely

Yep. Awful lot of school shooters got their guns from their family's homes.

The point being, it is not hard to get a gun legally or illegally. But, the sticky part of the equation is the enforcement. We need so much more funding for enforcement of many things. I doubt (especially in this climate) that governments (state or federal) will allocate more money for enforcing gun laws, let alone enacting more gun laws.

Yeah, that's the most frustrating thing. We need this sort of funding to help keep this crap from happening again, but nobody wants to pony up the money to do so, and they're the ones who are usually complaining after a tragedy like this: "Why didn't anyone stop this person?" Well...

I am incredibly disturbed at how many gun-related magazines I find myself shelving at work some days. One of them almost has a freakin' survivalist mentality to it, one of the headlines on the cover advertised an article about how to survive a terrorist attack. Big, bold, scary letters, just to make sure you didn't miss that story.

I also saw a magazine tonight, one called "Town Hall", which prides itself on "fresh, conservative, intelligent reporting". Its main headline for the week's issue? "The 50 Most Dangerous Liberals in America and Their Secret Agendas Exposed". This is the kind of BS that needs to stop (and I think you'll all be able to tell what I'd have to say about Sarah Palin's latest little rambling, I'll just sum it up with this: :rolleyes:).

I don't agree with him in all areas but in enough areas to see how well he frames how liberals think and I feel it's more accurate than most shows or programs.

I can guarantee you Rush's stereotypes of liberals are way off base.

The Spirit Level is popular with leftists and is considered influential. If it's not for you, oh well....

I had absolutely zero knowledge of this Spirit Level thing until this thread. Seriously. Never even heard about it before now.

At an event in Lake Havasu City, Ariz., Miller said someone called out, "There's Anthony, get a rope."

Keep it classy, people :up:.

Angela

actually, i'd say just this simple purpose.

i'm paraphrasing conservative David Frum, but i believe he wrote: "we all thought that Fox News worked or us; in truth, we all work for Fox News."

i have heard people say in radio interviews is that Rupert Murdock is not that political as some, but all about the bazillions.

But then again making millions and bazillions with unfetted regard as to a whole slew of health & saftey issuesof human beiongs, and the environment tends to be the purview of Republicans, Conservatives, & Libertarians....

I believe we can be better. Those who died here, those who saved lives here – they help me believe. We may not be able to stop all evil in the world, but I know that how we treat one another is entirely up to us. I believe that for all our imperfections, we are full of decency and goodness, and that the forces that divide us are not as strong as those that unite us.

That’s what I believe, in part because that’s what a child like Christina Taylor Green believed. Imagine: here was a young girl who was just becoming aware of our democracy; just beginning to understand the obligations of citizenship; just starting to glimpse the fact that someday she too might play a part in shaping her nation’s future. She had been elected to her student council; she saw public service as something exciting, something hopeful. She was off to meet her congresswoman, someone she was sure was good and important and might be a role model. She saw all this through the eyes of a child, undimmed by the cynicism or vitriol that we adults all too often just take for granted.

I want us to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as she imagined it. All of us – we should do everything we can to make sure this country lives up to our children’s expectations.

Christina was given to us on September 11th, 2001, one of 50 babies born that day to be pictured in a book called “Faces of Hope.” On either side of her photo in that book were simple wishes for a child’s life. “I hope you help those in need,” read one. “I hope you know all of the words to the National Anthem and sing it with your hand over your heart. I hope you jump in rain puddles.”

If there are rain puddles in heaven, Christina is jumping in them today. And here on Earth, we place our hands over our hearts, and commit ourselves as Americans to forging a country that is forever worthy of her gentle, happy spirit.

May God bless and keep those we’ve lost in restful and eternal peace. May He love and watch over the survivors. And may He bless the United States of America.

wow.

Good lord, I want to cry just reading that.

That’s what I believe, in part because that’s what a child like Christina Taylor Green believed. Imagine: here was a young girl who was just becoming aware of our democracy; just beginning to understand the obligations of citizenship; just starting to glimpse the fact that someday she too might play a part in shaping her nation’s future. She had been elected to her student council; she saw public service as something exciting, something hopeful. She was off to meet her congresswoman, someone she was sure was good and important and might be a role model. She saw all this through the eyes of a child, undimmed by the cynicism or vitriol that we adults all too often just take for granted.

This snippet seriously has to be one of the most beautifully touching things I've ever read in my life.

Angela

Okay, here is what I believe:

This shooting was not politically driven. The only thing I see that was political from this was that the shooter knew about Gifford. The guy just went insane for some reason and decided to cause chaos, which is really sad. I didn't like how the liberal media was quick to conclusions, saying that it was Sarah Palin or The Tea Party who encouraged violence like that (and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like either of those people). But then I think that the conservative media was quick to labeling exactly who this guy was, a atheist who sat in his bedroom all day smoking weed and reading another chapter of The Communist Manifesto and blamed MSNBC and other liberals for doing and saying things that actually the conservatives have done a little bit more of. This violent rhetoric needs to stop people. It's already bad enough that Democrats and Republicans can't make any compromises on anything these days in Washington DC. As for gun laws, I heard that they are making a new law that suggests weapons cannot be within 100 ft of a political leader, which is actually a stupid idea because not everyone knows who is working for the government. And also, let this massacre be a wake up call to Arizona on their stance on gun posession. And I have to agree with Jon Stewart when he said that you just can't figure out where the mental will go to let out their anger on society, no matter how much we want to think we can catch it early on. They just seem to pop up when we least expect it and it's unfortunate.We'll just have to see how this plays out in the future

More Civil? Rush Lies About Sheriff Dupnik 1/11/11

[ I sometimes have trouble during the day/eve staying on the net. Often late night a consistent signal is better ]

This was on Rush's Offical site

Dupnik Knew About Loughner
January 12, 2011
Listen To It! WMP | RealPlayer

Audio clips available for Rush 24/7 members only -- Join Now!

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: On the day of the shooting we know that officers stopped the suspect. They let him go, but they stopped him. He slipped through the sheriff's hands. It's kind of rhetorical to ask if the sheriff, Mr. Dupnik, will apologize. But Dupnik, the sheriff, knew that Jared Loughner had written "Die, bitch" on that note to her in 2007. He knew that on the day of the shooting, which calls into great question the motives of Sheriff Dupnik here in the way he has conducted himself since the shooting and since he decided to go public on television with his idle speculation as to the reason for the shooting. From a layman's perch here, it appears that Sheriff Dupnik has been acting with malice as he runs around and blames Sarah Palin and blames me and others who do what I do for this sordid incident.

Will Obama say tonight in his remarks in Tucson that Dupnik acted stupidly as he did in describing the actions of the cop in Cambridge? Will Obama castigate Dupnik? No, this is not gonna happen. He called Dupnik and thanked him yesterday. He called Sheriff Dupnik, the president did, to thank him for his great work in keeping Pima County safe and following up in his efforts to find out what happened here. So, no, Obama will not castigate Dupnik and the rest of the media and the Democrats for jumping to conclusions. He will not insist on holding a beer summit with Dupnik. Why was that "Die, bitch" note covered up? I mean it's now how many days? Saturday, Sunday, Monday -- four days. Four days and we are still learning about all of this. Why did the media bury that information?

The officer's who stopped Loughner were Fish, Game & Wildlife officers stopping him for running a red light . He was polite etc.They felt no reason to detain him.

The Loughner note was found AFTER the shootings, when the Sheriff was at Loughner's parents' home looking in a safe.

:|

Let his LIE speak for itself.

Back
Top Bottom