U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Allegedly he was an Afghan war vet.

This exact type of occurence was predicted by Zero Hedge just a few days ago.

I've never heard of that book being referenced with killings, celebs or otherwise. Are you thinking of Mark David Chapman and Catcher In the Rye?

"If I define terrorist then a terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon."

"Every United States Military recruit at MEPS in Phoenix is receiving one mini Bible before the tests. Jared Loughner is a United States Military recruit at MEPS in Pheonix. Therefore, Jared Loughner is receiving one mini bible before the tests."

"I didn't write a belief on my Army application, and the recruiter wrote on the application: None."

"The revolutionary's from the revolution are in control of the lands and laws."

"I can't trust the current government because of the ratifications: The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar."

"No! I won't pay debt with a currency that's not backed by gold and silver!"

"No! I won't trust in God!"

"If I define terrorist then a terrorist is a person who employs terror or terrorism, especially as a political weapon."

"Every United States Military recruit at MEPS in Phoenix is receiving one mini Bible before the tests. Jared Loughner is a United States Military recruit at MEPS in Pheonix. Therefore, Jared Loughner is receiving one mini bible before the tests."

"I didn't write a belief on my Army application, and the recruiter wrote on the application: None."

"The revolutionary's from the revolution are in control of the lands and laws."

"I can't trust the current government because of the ratifications: The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar."

"No! I won't pay debt with a currency that's not backed by gold and silver!"

"No! I won't trust in God!"

:crack:

If anything, the likelihood is much, much greater of the shooter being an illegal immigrant than a political extremist. I even heard an unconfirmed report that the shooter is African-American, which, by your guys' definition of the Tea party, pretty much eliminates that possibility, does it not?

Disgusting :|

If that youtube crap is from the shooter
it means little to me.

half the crap I read on the internetz is crap like that

I've never heard of that book being referenced with killings, celebs or otherwise. Are you thinking of Mark David Chapman and Catcher In the Rye?

Yes. My mistake. It was Catcher in the Rye. Sorry. Thanks for catching that. I don't think Chapman/Lennon was the only example though. I'll think things through more carefully next time.

By the way, I just went through that entire You Tube channel of that alleged shooter. You should watch the videos. Clearly a very disturbed individual (with an anti-federal govt bent). Viewing the videos on that channel, so soon after his crime, is a very odd experience. The internet has changed just about everything it seems. I wonder how long that channel will remain on You Tube before it is taken down.

Yeah she supported HC, but so did every Democrat.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. With the GOP now controlling the House, she's essentially powerless. If anything, she could be brought on board with the GOP on a number of issues. I don't get why you take her out considering a continuing GOP trend puts her seat very much in play in 2012. :shrug:

For the time being, I'll say it wasn't politically motivated. If they had just shot Giffords and nobody else, maybe. But the fact that this person just opened firing hitting a bunch of people (and killing a Bush-appointed judge, I just heard) makes me think otherwise.

You seem to be a reasonable, mainstream conservative.

People like you should not be made to feel any responsibility for this tragedy.

Yes. My mistake. It was Catcher in the Rye. Sorry. Thanks for catching that. I don't think Chapman/Lennon was the only example though. I'll think things through more carefully next time.

By the way, I just went through that entire You Tube channel of that alleged shooter. You should watch the videos. Clearly a very disturbed individual (with an anti-federal govt bent). Viewing the videos on that channel, so soon after his crime, is a very odd experience. The internet has changed just about everything it seems. I wonder how long that channel will remain on You Tube before it is taken down.

His myspace was already taken down but not before some screencaps were taken.

71s5sg.jpg

Picture posted today. This man is deranged.

What a tragedy, especially for the families of the people who have died in this incident, and the ones still fighting for their lives.

Many, many people here and elsewhere have pointed out the needlessly militant rhetoric of certain segments (yes, in this case on the right, it's merely a statement of fact).

When you have people like Glenn Beck bleating every night things like:

We cannot as a nation survive much longer. We must take a page from our own history at the Alamo and "draw a line in the sand." We must decide who we are, what we are capable of and look to the heavens to chart our course.

then we should not be surprised at incidents like this. Do we think that he's the only one who thinks that resolving things like they are the Alamo is still a reasonable manner of discourse?

No rational person is going to lay generalized blame on the entire Tea Party. This was the work of one disturbed man.

But there should definitely be some blame laid on the politicians and public figures who play to the panic and rile up their listeners.

That graphic with the crosshairs, no matter how quickly her people are trying to erase it from the web, is deplorable. Sarah Palin will backtrack and cover her ass in public as much as she can, but I can only hope she lies awake at night and thinks long and hard about what role she may have played in this. Even if the shooter had never seen it before, or never heard her "reload" comments, she should wonder.

And I hope she does, because if she doesn't, then she has no soul.

the most disturbing part of the crosshair image is the fact that the ones denoting where people are retiring at the end of their terms are red.

doesn't need much analysing as to what is inferred to be expected of the white crosshairs.

whether related to the shooting or not, it's abhorrent.

No rational person is going to lay generalized blame on the entire Tea Party. This was the work of one disturbed man.

But there should definitely be some blame laid on the politicians and public figures who play to the panic and rile up their listeners.

That's exactly it.

If somebody is pre-disposed to violence because they are mentally ill or a sociopath, then the blame lies with them. But when they find themselves in an environment which encourages violence, even if through the use of code words or symbolism like the crosshairs, or the constant and irresponsible bleating of talk show hosts, then that environment plays a role in shaping irrational responses.

Many, many people here and elsewhere have pointed out the needlessly militant rhetoric of certain segments (yes, in this case on the right, it's merely a statement of fact).

What disturbs me the most is, having studied the nature of hate groups long before Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, or the "Tea Party" ever hit the public consciousness, it's more than apparent that they've largely borrowing from the template of white supremacism. I doubt that it's a direct influence--perhaps I still give them the benefit of the doubt in that I think they really do "care," even if they are woefully misguided. It's more likely that this nonsense has been distilled through their ideological influences. But that is usually how this kind of hate multiplies, unfortunately.

For the record, I'm not terribly pleased with the left either, in terms of choosing emotion over erudition. "Hysteria" appears to be a universal affliction these days.

Back
Top Bottom