U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
really? a gunsight is a piss poor example?

what about Sarah's call: "don't retreat, reload!"

Are they seriously meant to be gunsights? They just look like little circles to me.

Ok, then yes, if they are genuninely meant to be representations of gun-sights I see what you mean. I just didn't make that connection on viewing it.

what about Sarah's call: "don't retreat, reload!"

Anyone who believes that was to be taken literally is an idiot.

In today's environment, when the D or R next to your name is becoming increasingly irrelevant, why is there no thought being entertained that the shooter was a liberal? In today's Democratic Party, Giffords is a moderate, and the extreme left is just as guilty in using violent rhetoric and calls for revolution as is the right.

Anyone using cross hairs is setting themselves up for criticism. If lefties had Bush and/or Cheney in cross hairs there would have been complaints and calls for it to be stopped.

Palin's campaign to take aim at Dems who supported Health Care is very problematic with this incident. Giffords was out front in support of HC reform and had been receiving threats because of it.

In today's environment, when the D or R next to your name is becoming increasingly irrelevant, why is there no thought being entertained that the shooter was a liberal? In today's Democratic Party, Giffords is a moderate, and the extreme left is just as guilty in using violent rhetoric and calls for revolution as is the right.
Sarah Palin caters to idiots.

It absolutely could be a liberal, and we'll wait and see. I think right now the most important thing is to try to sift through the news updates and find out the real story.

Twitter is an insane thing.

It does not matter, 'moderate' Dems and 'moderate' GOP were/are the enemy to the Tea Party. Do a little research. Moderates were/are more easy for the Tea Party to pick off. And they did go 'hard' after Giffords in the last election.

yes, of course. i am sure that everyone is horrified. everyone.

could you provide some examples of the "extreme left" using violent rhetoric in their language in the way that the former nominee for VP form the GOP does?

i know the reflex is to equivocate here, but please, let's be honest: when it comes to incendiary rhetoric (that everyone commented on at the time), it is employed with much more ease and felicity by credible, mainstream conservatives in a way that is nonexistent on the Left.

There are a lot of idiots out there who take things literally, so for Palin to post gun targets on the map makes her irresponsible - especially given the current political climate in this country.

Gabrielle_giffords_2009.jpg

point blank in the head

but, they are saying she will make it and is responding to commands.

Assuming this was politically motivated (and honestly, when this stuff happens, I assume there's some level of mental illness involved as well), I'd like to see people in high places refer to this sort of thing as what it is: terrorism.

The guy who shoots a politician he disagrees with. The guy who flies a plane into an IRS building. The guy sending mail bombs to Maryland government. Terrorists.

They get dismissed as lone crazies, but I'd say they're pretty easily spurred on by the rhetoric being spewed by talking heads and politicians.

To paraphrase a certain singer from a Bullet the Blue Sky rant - Hey, middle eastern terrorists, we don't need your help. America's making war upon itself.

(Again, this is assuming it was politically motivated.)

Moderates were/are more easy for the Tea Party to pick off.

At the ballot box, yes. Even though they went hard after her and were unsuccessful, I have to believe she's far down on the list of people the Tea Party doesn't like. Forgive me for being morbid, but if someone identifying themselves as a Tea Party member was going to take someone out, why Giffords? Why not someone much more liberal?

At the ballot box, yes. Even though they went hard after her and were unsuccessful, I have to believe she's far down on the list of people the Tea Party doesn't like. Forgive me for being morbid, but if someone identifying themselves as a Tea Party member was going to take someone out, why Giffords? Why not someone much more liberal?
Maybe because they live closer to Giffords? I mean, the odds are highly likely that this person is from the Tucson area.

I have been watching FoxNews and State Senator Lopez just said she was a frequent target of the vitriol of the Tea Party.
Keep in mind, she was/is a big supporter of HC reform. Their biggest issue?

She won a very close race, in two years the GOP could perhaps pick up her seat for the GOP. Most Liberals are in safe districts that will not ever swing to the GOP.
That is why Mods are aways under attack, they are in swing districts, they are vulnerable.

hearsay from AZ State Senator Lopez,
is that the shooter is an Afghan War Vet. :

edit to add

Fox News just said he is 22 year old white male, Jared Laughner. Sept 1988 birth

edit for AZ Pima County Sheriff News Conference

weapon was pistol with extended magazine
have not found vehicle, do not know how shooter got to event

I have been watching FoxNews and State Senator Lopez just said she was a frequent target of the vitriol of the Tea Party.
Keep in mind, she was/is a big supporter of HC reform. Their biggest issue?

She won a very close race, in two years the GOP could perhaps pick up her seat for the GOP. Most Liberals are in safe districts that will not ever swing to the GOP.
That is why Mods are aways under attack, they are in swing districts, they are vulnerable.

Yeah she supported HC, but so did every Democrat.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. With the GOP now controlling the House, she's essentially powerless. If anything, she could be brought on board with the GOP on a number of issues. I don't get why you take her out considering a continuing GOP trend puts her seat very much in play in 2012. :shrug:

For the time being, I'll say it wasn't politically motivated. If they had just shot Giffords and nobody else, maybe. But the fact that this person just opened firing hitting a bunch of people (and killing a Bush-appointed judge, I just heard) makes me think otherwise.

For the time being, I'll say it wasn't politically motivated. If they had just shot Giffords and nobody else, maybe. But the fact that this person just opened firing hitting a bunch of people (and killing a Bush-appointed judge, I just heard) makes me think otherwise.

That's a good point.

I wonder if he thought "well, I can't just shoot her, I'll have to make it look like it wasn't about her, so I'd better shoot more."

(.... as if I have any idea how people who shoot 12 people with a semiautomatic weapon think.)

The trauma director Rhee just said they were optimistic about Congresswoman Gifford.. This is such a sad story about politics - this is what I feared about the rhetoric that people talk about "reloading" and guns and such ...

I'm sad for America.

PS - Not every Dem support HCR - unfortunately HCR didn't go far enough for the Dems to fully support and that's why America can't get on the same page - IF we had the Public Option even Republicans at one point had supported it.
Now in defense what two day ago, only 3 Dems voted against the repeal of HCR amazing.

Yeah she supported HC, but so did every Democrat.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. With the GOP now controlling the House, she's essentially powerless. If anything, she could be brought on board with the GOP on a number of issues. I don't get why you take her out considering a continuing GOP trend puts her seat very much in play in 2012. :shrug:

Oh well, if YOU say it wasn't then PHEW - what a load off my mind.
Giffords was the only one who was shot point blank in the head. Unless it was an angry ex boyfriend, I'd say it's pretty politically motivated.

A person that is a public servant - having a community event to serve her community and people meeting her - well I don't get it - I need more information - How do we get people to become public servants when they aren't safe? And people talk re-loading and they aren't safe?

ETA - where was the Judge at? I haven't heard that part?

Assuming this was politically motivated (and honestly, when this stuff happens, I assume there's some level of mental illness involved as well), I'd like to see people in high places refer to this sort of thing as what it is: terrorism.

The guy who shoots a politician he disagrees with. The guy who flies a plane into an IRS building. The guy sending mail bombs to Maryland government. Terrorists.

They get dismissed as lone crazies, but I'd say they're pretty easily spurred on by the rhetoric being spewed by talking heads and politicians.

To paraphrase a certain singer from a Bullet the Blue Sky rant - Hey, middle eastern terrorists, we don't need your help. America's making war upon itself.

(Again, this is assuming it was politically motivated.)

there are no white terrorists.

the last I heard is that only the child has died

there has been a scatter shot of bad information, I hope is was a small caliber gun.

Back
Top Bottom