U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My bad - I meant Roll - I didn't catch that middle name nor middle initial - that's probably what zuropa_fit meant too.. and had a typo like me...:hyper:

168222_10150119391720708_680880707_8179514_2993681_n.jpg

This was archived and found - I thought people that hadn't seen this would appreciate seeing what people were talking about "crosshairs" and what Palin had on her website and what she had scrubbed from her site.

It's about money and they like money - who doesn't? Hard to say? It's their money so I'm going with 'no'. Seems they'll remember that word -

Jared Lee Loughner: Gabrielle Giffords' Suspected Shooter Identified - ABC News

Dupnik said the shooter had previous run-ins with the law and had threatened to kill someone before.

There had been "difficulties" at Pima Community College where Loughner attended, Dupnik said. One student, who had a poetry class with Loughner, said he would often act "wildly inappropriate."

"One day he started making comments about terrorism and laughing about killing the baby," classmate Don Coorough told ABC News, referring to a discussion about abortions. "The rest of us were looking at him in shock… I thought this young man was troubled."

Another classmate, Lydian Ali, recalled the incident as well.

"A girl had written a poem about an abortion. It was very emotional and she was teary eyed and he said something about strapping a bomb to the fetus and making a baby bomber," Ali told ABC News.

:coocoo:

In the YouTube profile, the account holder, identified as Loughner, lists "The Communist Manifesto" and "Mein Kampf" among his favorite books.

Wow what an intellectual! :doh:

Was all this prior to his stint in Afghanistan? I've seen some people wonder if the guy was dealing with some form of PTSD, but sounds like it's much, much more than that.

Which then makes you wonder how the heck he got into the military if he's so unstable. Don't they screen for that sort of thing?

Or was it not true that he was a vet? I haven't heard it mentioned since earlier today (not that I've been glued to the news, though).

He wasn't allowed in the service - he wanted in - but according to all I've been hearing all day is that he wasn't allowed in. He never served in any type of armed service.

I'm kinda of a news hound and plus I had to watch sports all day and I bounced back and forth!

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying.

If only his mental illness had kept him from getting his hands on a semiautomatic, too.

The Pima County Sheriff's Office has released the identities of the six people killed in this morning's tragic shooting.

Picture_56.png

-John Roll, 63, a federal district court judge.

Picture_57.png

-Gabriel Zimmerman, 30, Giffords' director of community outreach

Picture_54.png

-Christina Greene, 9, a student at Mesa Verde Elementary

-Dorthy Murray, 76

-Phyllis Scheck, 79

-Dorwin Stoddard, 76, a pastor at Mountain Ave. Church of Christ.

Gun in Tucson shooting legal
(AP) –
WASHINGTON (AP) — A law enforcement official tells The Associated Press that the handgun used in a shooting that killed a federal judge and wounded a U.S. congresswoman in Tucson, Ariz., was purchased legally. U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head Saturday morning during an event with voters outside a local grocery store. U.S. District Judge John Roll, and at least five others, were killed in the attack.
The official, who has been briefed on the investigation, spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss details of the case. Officials have identified the shooter as 22-year-old Jared Loughner of Tucson. He is in custody. The Washington Post reported late Saturday that Loughner purchased the gun Nov. 30 from the Sportsman's Warehouse in Tucson.

and I believe Arizona is a 'right to carry' concealed weapons state.

Law Enforcement could not have prevented this person from bringing a gun to this event of anywhere else? in AZ.

It's really strange, being here in Tucson and finding little connections to this incident.
Giffords held a town hall meeting in my classroom a few years back. I met her briefly and she seemed really nice and down to earth.

A woman I race with, we shared a lane in my last race, her son was a volunteer at the event. He spoke to the shooter and was right there when it happened.

One of my favorite former students worked on her campaign. His good friend, Gabe Zimmerman, a Giffords staffer, is among the deceased.

Latest update: She's the only one still in critical condition, but responding to simple commands (such as squeezing a hand or holding up two fingers or blinking).
eta: Sorry U2fan, for repeating, I was typing and watching the press conf. while you posted

I wish that there was something for out-of-towner's to do to help - it's all so sad. I would love to send a condolence card - kind of an en masse card to say that others in America are saddened by this tragic event.

If anyone hears of something? Or if I find something - I will post it..

The Sarah Palin map thing is just a morbid coincidence, I don't see anything wrong there but of course they would take it down from her site.

It does make you think, though, about the possible side effects of the anti-government fervour that talk show hosts with a wide reach to everyday Americans try and stir up to pad their pocketbooks. All it takes is one crazy person.

Absolutely fucking terrifying and terrible in every sense. My heart hurts for the people that lost their lives, and I am so glad to hear that Giffords has a chance to make it through all of this.

This is just my personal stance, but I find guns and automatic weapons completely terrifying, full stop. They are scary as shit. God, I can't even get into it and sound coherent but, fuck. I hate guns. So frightening.

Why and how was this psycho given a gun? We need to cut down on that shit. In my very humble opinion, gun violence is just about the single worst thing in the United States of America. It's a whole culture, it's scary beyond belief, it kills people, etc. etc. etc. Ugh. Fuck guns.

Fuck guns.

I'm sure I sound naive and lame and all of that, but I don't care. Let's stop selling guns to U.S. citizens. And the guns that are already out there, on the street, and in homes, let's just fucking get rid of all of them. Let's all eat pizza and laugh together and enjoy eachother's company and enjoy what we have and maybe listen to a Taylor Swift song or two.

Wow, so i'm sounding like a complete idiot right now, but I just heard about this news story about 30 minutes ago, read through this entire thread, and it has hit me like a brick. I've ceased watching playoff football and am trying to get all of the facts together on this.

I really, really, really, fucking wish that this psycopath had not been allowed to purchase a gun. I wish guns were never even fucking invented.

Peace and love.

God, I'm going to go back to watching Ravens vs. Chiefs and try to pretend like I never even heard this story.

It does make you think, though, about the possible side effects of the anti-government fervour that talk show hosts with a wide reach to everyday Americans try and stir up to pad their pocketbooks. All it takes is one crazy person.

I think this is more important than the Palin connection, although I think the crosshairs and her "reload" comments play right into what you're talking about.

All it takes is one crazy person to see crosshairs and "reload" comments. :shrug:

All the rhetoric and passionate speech stirs up and motivates people.

There was a lot of that before the 2010 election, it motivated the anti-Obama people to go to the polls.

But, also in 2008 there was a lot of rhetoric and passionate speech to motivate Obama supporters.
If there had been an assassination attack on Bush, McCain or Palin. I am sure we would have heard that the assailant was
FIRED UP AND READY TO GO!

I think that's what most people are talking about - the crazy whacko's that read the "reload" and the 'cross-hair" thing differently than a sane person would.

More and more will come out - a sane person is trying to make sense of it and all the things that are said in the past including the graphics are brought to light to bring some kind of order to something that will probably never make sense to a sane person.

JMHO

The Palin camp has no exposure to worry about (from a criminal prosecution perspective), even IF she (or other politicians) were overtly suggesting that their political opponents should be killed. There are several examples of hate groups in the USA (neo-nazis, klan, etc.) who advocated (through free speech) that others should be erased from existence. When their followers acted upon the drum beat of that "free speech", and killed their "enemy", the leaders of the group almost always escape prosecution. They were protected by the First Amendment, and distanced themselves from the violent act, taking the position that the killers acted alone and without direction.

However, those groups were not protected from civil liability (lawsuits for money damages) by the First Amendment. The legal standard of proof is much lower in a negligence/civil suit than a criminal one. For example, the KKK, and its members, were brought to their collective knees by the civil suits brought by Morris Dees and the Southern Poverty Law Center. Bankruptcy has a way of making some people think twice about what they say (even if the First Amendment protects their right to say it from criminal prosecution).

Right now, I am nearly certain that the Palin camp is sweating bullets (excuse the pun) that they will face civil lawsuits for money damages from the families of those killed and injured in Arizona. That is, I think the Palin camp (and their attorneys) are watching the news very closely for any bad news about the motivations of the killer, Jared Loughner. If there is any whiff of proof that he was motivated by Palin's "target map" that "identified the problem" and needed his help to "find the solution", the fact that he may be deranged probably will not save them (especially if the suit is brought in a jurisdiction that is not so taken with Second Amendment gun rights). I think making money (and now keeping the money she has made) is the major motivation of the Palin camp these days (far beyond any real political ideology). They are praying for the victims I am sure, but they are also praying that there is no evidence that Loughner was in any way inspired by her "target" message.

So, I will be very surprised if we see Sarah Palin answering anyone's questions on live TV about what she meant by putting up that "target" map. She is not so adept at answering complex questions on the spot, and her lawyers know that anything she says explaining that issue would likely become "Exhibit A" in a civil suit against her. If she says anything on this issue at all, it will probably only be in a written statement on a website or reading a statement of condolence on a Palin-friendly radio or TV show. If she answers any questions about it at all (doubtful), they will be pre-screened by her attorneys with prepared/scripted answers. This kind of "target" rhetoric will continue, even after this Arizona horror show, as long it serves some political end (unless those blathering that rhetoric become concerned that it might cost them real money if they can be held liable for money damages).

Back
Top Bottom