U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!! - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #436
The Fly

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Why is there such name calling such as "fucknuts" while that's a new label for Democrats or anyone - name calling and refusing to work together is perhaps the reason the Congress isn't getting things done.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #437
Blue Crack Addict

Apparently, some people were not listening to the President last night.

At least somebody was.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #438
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post

Interesting background, l_d.

In late grade school & in special Art & Music HS is where I met African-Americans & Afro-Caaribbeans. WHile the one different thing was I went out of my way to interact with them because they were not so many; i made friendships the way I made friendships with my white friends by shared interests and how much of our personality's mes The nabe I grew up most in eaerly on (I was Catholic) was 65% Jewish, a bunch of Catholics, and Christians, Anti-Castro Cubans and Puerto Ricans.
You as well - I had black girlfriends that played Barbie with me. So that was cool - we stayed for six years until we moved to the outskirts of Detroit - 1 block outside of Dearborn where we lived until I was 11 then we moved to WA state.
I do remember the mayhem that accompanied those times and conversations after my parents thought I was asleep - I wasn't afraid but evidently the parents were -
Old 01-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #439
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon_drop View Post
Why is there such name calling such as "fucknuts" while that's a new label for Democrats or anyone - name calling and refusing to work together is perhaps the reason the Congress isn't getting things done.
Read his post again. He's referring to Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, et al. People within his own party who he feels have hijacked it. He's angry, and rightfully so, imo. If a faction of wingnuts took over my party, I'd be pissed, too.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #440
The Fly

Another issue is the increase of White Militia in the US - THIS is disconcerting.

Since President Obama’s election, there’s been a surge in hate crimes, political murders and assassination threats in this country. Right-wing militias are on the rise in several states, and high rates of unemployment have further stoked anger against racial minorities and recent immigrants. Independent filmmakers Rick Rowley and Jacquie Soohen go inside the white nationalist movement to file an exclusive report. [includes rush transcript]
Source:White Power USA: The Rise of Right-Wing Militias in America
Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #441
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Read his post again. He's referring to Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, et al. People within his own party who he feels have hijacked it. He's angry, and rightfully so, imo. If a faction of wingnuts took over my party, I'd be pissed, too.
Thanks I'm heading out the door for work -
My apologies for mis-reading this post - my bad!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #442
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I'm glad you disagree with Glenn "Obama is racist" Beck, Rush "Barack the Magic Negro" Limbaugh and Dinesh "Obama is a Kenyan Anti-Colonialist" D'Souza.
Thank you. Let's not also forget the signs I've seen at rallies with the "n" word on them (one of which I recall being misspelled, too, which just makes it all the sadder/funnier), the e-mail sent out by that one guy with pictures of watermelons all over the White House lawn, the infamous shot of Obama on a sign where he's dressed up like some scary jungle voodoo witch doctor or whatever during the whole healthcare debate. And then of course the endless stream of, "Where's his birth certificate? Was he really born in America?" or "He's a secret Muslim!" And the constant debate during '08 about whether or not he was "black enough" for some people. Are people here actually honestly saying they need proof of such discriminatory remarks? Seriously? Have you not been paying attention the last couple years?

There's examples on the left, too. Chris Matthews saying after one speech that for a moment he forgot that Obama was black (????? WTF, Chris? ), Harry Reid's comment about Obama's "Negro dialect", the rumors about some of the Clintons' behavior towards him during the '08 campaign.

But it's been particularly strong on the conservative side. It's great that conservatives here in Interference don't give two shakes about Obama's skin color, that's fantastic, and you're certainly not being thrown into that boat. But there are those out there who DO. And you can't deny that that played into this. He's our first president of color, it was pretty much a given that there was going to be some racially motivated attacks on him.

Heck, I'll even say that some of it may not be outright racism amongst people, not the kind that we're all used to seeing images of, with calls for lynchings and KKK rallies and burning crosses or other sorts of blatant examples like that. Just...a bit of uncomfortableness. It may "take some getting used to" for some people who live in areas where there aren't a hell of a lot of other people of color around (areas in which I've lived-I can only imagine how people in the town I lived in in Wyoming must feel about Obama). Sort of like my grandparents. They hated the KKK and all they stood for. They never, ever wished ill will on black people. They'd interact with them when needed. They just, you know, weren't all that comfortable around them, or were a bit nervous about what neighbors would think of them being around such people.

Whatever you call this attitude some have about him, it's disgusting and disturbing and it HAS happened and IS happening, and it is way, WAY past time for the Republican/conservative side in general to start addressing it and calling people out on it en masse.

Angela
Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #443
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post

There's examples on the left, too. Chris Matthews saying after one speech that for a moment he forgot that Obama was black (????? WTF, Chris? ), Harry Reid's comment about Obama's "Negro dialect", the rumors about some of the Clintons' behavior towards him during the '08 campaign.

this is a great point -- it reminds us that, even if you are the biggest Obama supporter alive, race still acts as a filter through which we understand each other. notions of a "race-blind" society are a white person's fantasy -- race is real, and experienced, and lived-in every day. race is absolutely a factor in how we understand President Obama, on both sides, and all sides.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #444
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Glenn "Obama is racist" Beck,
Of course I disagree with that. I did the moment he said it. He's long-since apologized for it and said he doesn't believe that. So eager to bring this up, do you denounce people on the left carelessly calling Republicans racist?

Quote:
Rush "Barack the Magic Negro" Limbaugh
Have you heard the song, or are you just going by the title? The song is sung from Al Sharpton's point-of-view, in seeing how white people were much more responsive to Obama's candidacy than his. If anything, it's an attack on whites who'll vote for Obama, yet might be hesitant to vote for someone who is perceived as much more urban, like Sharpton. Earl Ofari Hutchinson called the song tasteless but also accurate. Is it tasteless? Sure. Is it accurate? I think so.

Quote:
and Dinesh "Obama is a Kenyan Anti-Colonialist" D'Souza.
I honestly don't follow this guy, but based on the quote (until I do more research on the guy or find that it's out of context), then yes, I'll disagree with that.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #445
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Have you heard the song, or are you just going by the title? The song is sung from Al Sharpton's point-of-view, in seeing how white people were much more responsive to Obama's candidacy than his. If anything, it's an attack on whites who'll vote for Obama, yet might be hesitant to vote for someone who is perceived as much more urban, like Sharpton. Earl Ofari Hutchinson called the song tasteless but also accurate. Is it tasteless? Sure. Is it accurate? I think so.
I've heard the song. Several times. Also heard how proud Rush is that he commissioned it.

It's tasteless and racist, no matter how you cut it.

The song wouldn't have been commissioned if Obama was white.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #446
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Of course I disagree with that.

i know that you do. i absolutely do. i do not think you're a racist. (though you did surmise that the Giffords shooter was probably an illegal immigrant). i don't think that most conservatives under the age of 40 (maybe even 50) have a problem with Obama's race, or with having a non-white president (it's more than that he's black, it's that he's not white).

but do you see the point that there is opposition to Obama it is, indeed, rooted in racism? and, furthermore, that many (not all) on the Right create a space for racists (and those given to broader cultural panic) to feel welcome and affirmed?

i came across this post on another blog, and wanted to repost it here, because i think it's one of those "only in America" moments:

Quote:
"Does anyone else see the irony in this tragedy? In Arizona, the state that has been the de facto "face" of recent political gay bashing (DADT-McCain) and racism (their highly controversial immigration law), a white straight man shoots a female Jewish member of congress who then has her life saved by a gay Hispanic American. It's poetic."
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #447
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Run away, Bono! Flee! RUN AWAY!!!!!!

Sorry. Had to do it.

As you were.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I was gonna say, I had to do a double take at that picture. What a strange, strange gathering.

Interesting quote there, Irvine.

Angela
Old 01-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #449
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I'm not sure what the "master variable" guy has to do with this
Just an example of a fringe leftist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I was gonna say, I had to do a double take at that picture. What a strange, strange gathering.

Interesting quote there, Irvine.

Angela
I didn't expect that either. Of course they are all rich and famous.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #450
Blue Crack Addict

Is your point that there are fringe leftists?

There are fringe leftists.

Tags
loughner note, rush limbaugh, sheriff dupnik