U S Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a Democrat, shot at public appearance!! - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #346
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
The right-wing media is a watchdog on the left. I know you don't look at it that way but that is how we view ourselves.
You seem to be out of touch with reality
__________________

__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #347
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
He easily could have obtained a gun illegally if he really wanted one, which he seemed to.
True, if he had the right connections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
He probably could have gotten one legally, there is still the "Gun Show Loophole." And, there is no way the government can ever regulate sales among private individuals.
True, but the Gun Show Loophole can be regulated state by state.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #348
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Watchdogs just point out inaccuracies, they do so with facts. They don't turn it around and bloviate opinions. Therefore you're completely wrong about right wing media.
Yeah we should just get rid of them because they have no facts, only opinions. Of course when they do post facts they are only "isolated incidents" that are not worth pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
This had absolutely nothing to do with the video clip Diemen and I were talking about. It's this lack of basic reading comprehension and context skills that makes it so hard to take you seriously.
Which one then? Oh the Jon Stewart one? Yeah that's great but that is only after the fact they were proven wrong. Before getting the facts the left were chomping on the bit to score a political touchdown.

BTW my mistake is hardly a lack of basic reading and comprehension skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
He just did what Rush did in your example and you didn't even catch it. He turned something you said around and turned it into overblown hyperbole rhetoric.
The fact that it could fool me shows how strong that liberal narrative is. Rush is the one pointing out what the left won't. The left wanted to "win" after the shooting and are now back tracking and trying to make the right's outrage to be hyperbole when it's not. A huge portion of the population got insulted by what happened.

Maybe there should be a sarcasm emoticon so people can see context in posts maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
But on a serious note you do show a huge lack of respect for education, this is highly disturbing.
Oh are you fooling me again? I've already had people say this exactly to me in seriousness so your point of exagerration on the right is moot.

It's not bad but the narrative that strong speech has to be curtailed won't happen because political parties want to win and they have real disagreements. So to me it's basically irrelevant. It's always been heated but it appears more so because of easy access to it with 24 hour news and internet. One should take a break from it now and then but it's always going to be there. Governments always want to send a message to the public and the opposition wants to find holes in that message.

Since anger comes from helplessness and obstacles to goals, any difference of policy will conjure negative emotions because most people have a functioning amygdala. It's possible to control reactions to it but the negative sensations will come when:

-policies you don't like and think are dangerous get passed
-you perceive your side gets mischaracterized

Here's an example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
You seem to be out of touch with reality
Oh my Amygdala is going off!
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #349
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,664
Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
You seem to be out of touch with reality
Must be difficult living in Fort McMurray.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Must be difficult living in Fort McMurray.
There it goes again. Eastern Canadians like to make fun of Alberta like New Yorkers make fun of Texas.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #351
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,664
Local Time: 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
There it goes again. Eastern Canadians like to make fun of Alberta like New Yorkers make fun of Texas.
I like how you put words in my mouth. I never said Alberta, I said a specific location within that province.

Yet more proof that you read what you want to read instead of what actually is.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #352
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Yeah we should just get rid of them because they have no facts, only opinions. Of course when they do post facts they are only "isolated incidents" that are not worth pointing out.
You do it again. No one said anything about getting rid of it. Just be intelligent enough to understand what it is and don't try and turn it into something it's not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Which one then? Oh the Jon Stewart one? Yeah that's great but that is only after the fact they were proven wrong. Before getting the facts the left were chomping on the bit to score a political touchdown.
Did you see Jon react before getting the facts? So quit throwing him into "they". That statement alone is part of the problem. You didn't listen to a word he said.

You never change you ARE part of the problem. You joined this forum and started off calling everyone you could a communist or socialist and you haven't stopped. Just in this thread alone you've grouped everyone together and made sweeping ignorant generalizations. My favorite being the very informed "the media want to turn the U.S. into Scandanavia". That's like me saying Rush wants to turn the U.S. into the Roman Empire. Intelligent people don't converse this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
BTW my mistake is hardly a lack of basic reading and comprehension skills.
Context clues are a big part of comprehension.


Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
The fact that it could fool me shows how strong that liberal narrative is.
Or it says something entirely different...


Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Oh are you fooling me again? I've already had people say this exactly to me in seriousness so your point of exagerration on the right is moot.
No, I'm being serious. You show a huge lack of respect for education in here. No sense or sarcasm or irony.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #353
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Yet more proof that you read what you want to read instead of what actually is.
So true, and this is ultimately the problem.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #354
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
I like how you put words in my mouth. I never said Alberta, I said a specific location within that province.

Yet more proof that you read what you want to read instead of what actually is.
Maybe if you explained yourself more on what you don't like about Fort McMurray I wouldn't have to fill in the blanks. Responding to me being out of touch with reality by talking about how tough it is in Fort McMurray isn't much to go on.

Do you have something against the oil industry? What's your beef?
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #355
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 10:19 PM
Wait, you're a rig pig? This is all starting to make sense now

I kid because I love
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #356
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You do it again. No one said anything about getting rid of it. Just be intelligent enough to understand what it is and don't try and turn it into something it's not.
Well if it's just opinions with no facts then I believe it should be ignored at the minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Did you see Jon react before getting the facts? So quit throwing him into "they". That statement alone is part of the problem. You didn't listen to a word he said.
I did. The access to the invective can be too much and people should take a break now and then but as long as there are differences on what people believe makes a great country there will be anger and rhetoric. If you agree with Jon Stewart well that's great but the right is arguing with the others that overblew it (MSM). In sane people the anger is channelled in votes. In the insane they are just insane. As left-wing as Jared was there was too many contradictions and bizarre thinking to make me believe he was one affilliation or another. The guy was miffed over Giffords before many people knew about Sarah Palin or there was a Tea Party. After the shooting conservatives didn't feel the story was portrayed that way in most hard news channels. It's because the target was political and in Arizona so they jumped to conclusions and even I was worried that this was politically motivated because I don't align with that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You never change you ARE part of the problem. You joined this forum and started off calling everyone you could a communist or socialist and you haven't stopped. Just in this thread alone you've grouped everyone together and made sweeping ignorant generalizations. My favorite being the very informed "the media want to turn the U.S. into Scandanavia". That's like me saying Rush wants to turn the U.S. into the Roman Empire. Intelligent people don't converse this way.
Well I posted that video to show exactly what I was talking about because you said I was misinformed. I don't think so. Both the left and the right have countries they like to point to. Many in the right like Switzerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Context clues are a big part of comprehension.
I agree except I need more "clues".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
No, I'm being serious. You show a huge lack of respect for education in here. No sense or sarcasm or irony.
I'm against crappy education, not education all together. Banishing ignorance is important but the argument is about what we are ignorant about and the left and right don't agree on what is ignorance and what is a good fact. That's why there's debate.

I didn't just join to debate you and call people communist (even if some ideas I feel are very close to it). I joined so I can post. I actually like posting in other areas as well. This area tends to be the most painful though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Wait, you're a rig pig? This is all starting to make sense now

I kid because I love
No I work in Finance and I don't live in Fort McMurray, but it's nice to see what people think of me.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Just some perspective. It's not like there haven't been other periods in American history where there was a lot of violent rhetoric. Of course the one period that comes immediately to mind didn't turn out so well--the rhetoric turned into a civil war. Fortunately, I don't think we are anywhere close to being in that bad a shape.

I've always made it clear that I don't like the tone of political discourse in our country today, and I do fault the right more than the left for it. But, I don't blame anyone, including Palin for what happened last week. It's sad that the opportunity to enage in a more civil tone was lost beneath those on the left eager to demonize the right as responsible, and those on the right's insistent defensiveness. I think our country missed a chance to do something good with this terrible tragedy, and that's a shame.
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #358
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Do you believe gun bans would work?

I agree this deserves its own thread, so I'll just say this. There are multiple American cities and European countries where gun bans have been tried and gun violence has risen. Here in America, combine a gun ban with the growing problems of our 911 system, and you're in a bad spot.
I would like to see the evidence from multiple European countries where gun bans have been tried and gun violence has been risen.

In any case, regardless of some European countries having rising levels of gun violence at present (e.g. Ireland), the overall murder rate in the US is much higher than in Europe.

Do you believe that Americans are just innately more violent? Because, according to you, it has nothing got to do with the gun laws, so I'm just curious as to your perspective on why it is the average murder rate by shooting is much higher in the US than Europe.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #359
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 03:19 AM
Dp.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #360
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,874
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
So you're willing to overlook all the evidence to the contrary which prove that gun bans are a policy sure to fail?
How would Jared Loughner have gotten a gun if he hadn't gone to a store and bought it? Everyone just goes "He'd obtain it illegally!" and just assume that makes sense.

When people talk about this, I feel like they're always thinking in terms of someone just driving down to "the hood" and buying a gun off some gangbanger, and it makes no sense to me that this just works with no great explanation.

Lax gun laws are a massive problem.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
loughner note, rush limbaugh, sheriff dupnik

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com