U.S. Christian Militia Group Arraigned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Surprised no one mentioned this:

The eight men and one woman were accused of plotting to kill a police officer in Michigan and then ambush the law enforcement officers who attended his funeral with improvised explosive devices to be delivered with projectiles. They planned to fall back and fight from fortified and booby-trapped positions, the indictment said.

The indictment said the group believed the attacks would "serve as a catalyst for a more widespread uprising" against the government.

The group's website, hutaree.com, says the term Hutaree means "Christian warrior" and characterizes the group as "preparing for the end time battles to keep the testimony of Jesus Christ alive."

Michael Lindsay, a political sociologist at Rice University in Houston and a leading expert on U.S. evangelicalism, said the Hutaree's outward Christian trappings should not obscure its core purpose.

"This movement is far more political than it is theological," he told Reuters.
"The apocalyptic tenor of the movement is in many ways window dressing ... the things that anger them and mobilize them are almost entirely political."

Lindsay called the group "very fringe" and said they would "never find support from a mainstream pastor or prominent public individual."

Earlier this month, a report warned that the number of right-wing groups that see the U.S. government as their enemy more than doubled in the last year, fanned by anger over the economy and a backlash against the policies of President Barack Obama.

The report by the Southern Poverty Law Center said 512 such anti-government groups were active in the United States last year, a leap from 149 in 2008.
Final suspect in raid on U.S. militia group arraigned | Reuters

This is pretty scary. They are blowing what the Obama administration out of proportion and who knows who would eventually carry out their violent intentions based on fear?

God bless America. :|

I was looking around for some mention of this, but apparently missed a thread.

Still, it probably deserves its own thread since I don't think this would be the last you would hear from groups like this.

I'd say anyone who claims to be a Christian and acts like a terrorist is a pretty shitty Christian.

Scott Roeder comes to mind.

Most every Christian I know, liberal, tolerant, to what many want to call the extremists embrace all the murder, mayhem, genocide in The Bible.

They find it acceptable behaviour favored by the God they worship.

Until they have the courage to reject and renounce those atrocities, how can they claim to be against this behavior?

If they're liberal Christians, then they would interpret the "murder, mayhem, genocide" in the Bible as allegory or such. I doubt they would take them seriously.

Are you saying Christians who denounce this militia group are not real Christians then?

ETA: on second thought, even if you do feel this way, I really don't care. It's not going to affect how I feel about God in anyway.

ETA: on second thought, even if you do feel this way, I really don't care. It's not going to affect how I feel about God in anyway.

that is the key

the purpose of this place is for us to express our opinions, and perhaps elaborate of them

consensus is not the goal, and will only drive us bonkers,
over time the opinions in here, and elsewhere may cause us to change our opinions or beliefs.

what I believe now at 54, is much different from what I believed at 24, or even 34. When I was younger I would have been more inclined to argue that my conclusions were more correct than opposing views, I still believe that, I just don't see the point in trying to win arguments, I do see the point in exchanging opinions and the reasons behind them.

Alright, then. I respect and appreciate that.

I'd say anyone who claims to be a Christian and acts like a terrorist is a pretty shitty Christian.

Scott Roeder comes to mind.
"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" comes to mind.

And the fact that it is open to interpretation really highlights how useless revealed "truth" is for living a moral life. Liberal Christians pick and choose a biblical morality that it in line with modern values, I don't see how they are any more or less justified than the Hutarees when they appeal to God's intentions.

I was just thinking of the basic "thou shalt not kill" and "love thy neighbor" and "do unto others..." that I feel that if you're a Christian, those are the basic rules you try and live by.

I don't have the knowledge to get into a deeper conversation about the Bible or Christianity.

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" comes to mind.

And the fact that it is open to interpretation really highlights how useless revealed "truth" is for living a moral life.

Well, God gave us a brain to interpret the Bible. If He didn't, we would all be like robots, now wouldn't we?

Liberal Christians pick and choose a biblical morality that it in line with modern values

Aren't you picking and choosing biblical verses to justify your beliefs?

I don't see how they are any more or less justified than the Hutarees when they appeal to God's intentions.

So all Christians - liberal or conservative - are all guilty for believing what they believe?

Interesting, you are so against the idea of a God and say if there were one, you'd be against Him, yet you still capitalize the first letter in God. I don't think I am the first to point that out.

Also, just to remind everyone that the article mentions how the Hutarees' ideology is more political than religious:

Michael Lindsay, a political sociologist at Rice University in Houston and a leading expert on U.S. evangelicalism, said the Hutaree's outward Christian trappings should not obscure its core purpose.
"This movement is far more political than it is theological," he told Reuters.
"The apocalyptic tenor of the movement is in many ways window dressing ... the things that anger them and mobilize them are almost entirely political."

I capitalise Zeus, Satan, and Thor; it doesn't make either of them any more real.

I picked a seemingly inconsistent verse to point out that the bible is like any other human made text, it's open to interpretation, and the interpretation will be governed by the culture of the day.

I for one see the Bible as God-inspired, not written by God.

As for how interpretation is done, I believe one has to be guided by God, who dwells in the heart and soul. This way you get the clear idea of what God meant. You also have to do historic research on how the Bible came about in order to understand the authors. I don't think you can just read it and come to your own conclusions because then you are relying on yourself and not the omnipotent God.

Most every Christian I know, liberal, tolerant, to what many want to call the extremists embrace all the murder, mayhem, genocide in The Bible.

They find it acceptable behaviour favored by the God they worship.

Until they have the courage to reject and renounce those atrocities, how can they claim to be against this behavior?

Why should I reject or renounce the Bible accounts?

It's one of the reasons I accept the Bible as a narrative of God and humankind working together to tell the story.

God didn't try to polish up the story or send it down on Golden Plates.
It's the guts, the mess, and the redemption.

Heard about this bunch. Their theology seems a pretty thin patina laid over a primarily political agenda...

...and now I see that was already pointed out by Pearl. So fair enough.

God didn't try to polish up the story or send it down on Golden Plates.

It's the guts, the mess, and the redemption.

Rationally, I know that science will solve everything.

At gut level, I also know that what you said is true.

Which is an odd position for an atheist to adopt, but there ya go.

Back
Top Bottom