Local Time: 06:24 AM
no shortage of kool aid here

Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
No it doesn't matter, because they both have our best interests at heart in fighting for freedom
YouTube - Team America - Freedom isn't free

Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 12:24 PM
I'm sure he's under heavy protection, but has there been any thought about assassinating Gaddahfi? Cut off the head of the snake..
Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I'm sure he's under heavy protection, but has there been any thought about assassinating Gaddahfi? Cut off the head of the snake..
CIA has no time for that, they're still expending considerable manpower setting up sexy honeypots for Jules Assange to dip his digits into.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Link

Quote:
The shelling of a market in Abidjan on Thursday, which killed at least 25 people and wounded 40, may be a crime against humanity, the United Nations said Friday. The United Nations blamed forces loyal to the incumbent president, Laurent Gbagbo, whose refusal to cede power set off the crisis. “Such an act, perpetrated against civilians, could constitute a crime against humanity,” the United Nations said in a statement on Friday. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged the Security Council to “take further measures with regard to the Ivorian individuals who are instigating, orchestrating and committing the violence.” Mr. Gbagbo denied his forces were involved in the attack.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
No it doesn't matter, because they both have our best interests at heart in fighting for freedom and ending the tyrrany of a brutal dictator who is killing his own people.

Good for Obama! I support him 100% in this case just as I supported Bush in Iraq.
bs , it's all about oil , but when enough people will die , dust will settle , and we'll have another "democratic " president set up in "libya/northK/iraq/afghanistan/etc " ,
Old 03-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 05:24 PM
YouTube - George Galloway on Wests Libya intervention (19Mar11)
Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner El Guapo View Post
Damned if they do, damned if they don't, I suppose.
I tend to think - that anything beyond air support is too much from the US standpoint.
Let everyone else handle this one, if at all possible.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131
CIA has no time for that, they're still expending considerable manpower setting up sexy honeypots for Jules Assange to dip his digits into.
Appears that the CIA might not have the time, but the navy does...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Gortney offered no details on how long the period of "coming days" might be. But he did offer details on just how much of the Libya operation is being borne by U.S. forces. Early in the briefing, Gortney said the attack involved "110 Tomahawk cruise missiles fired from both U.S. and British ships and submarines." Later, a reporter asked: "Can you specify how many British ships were involved compared to the U.S. ships?"

"We had one British submarine," Gortney said.

"And the rest were all U.S.?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: 'Unique capabilities' mean virtually all-American war in Libya | Byron York | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner
Hooray multilateralism!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Apparently Obama is talking about handing over leadership of the campaign to either the French of British in a couple days. That would be an interesting and very prudent move, and I dare say a good one.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I thought the US wasn't even supposed to be leaders in the first place, it was gonna be an Arab League/UN operation. Obama and Clinton kept flogging "international" and "coalition" in their speeches.

The New York Times is confused about our mission, too:
Quote:
WASHINGTON — All the deliberations over what military action to take against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi of Libya have failed to answer the most fundamental question: Is it merely to protect the Libyan population from the government, or is it intended to fulfill President Obama’s objective declared two weeks ago that Colonel Qaddafi “must leave”?
I don't read this and think all the allies need is a few cruise missiles to finish the Colonel off:

Quote:
The rebels’ weaknesses were readily apparent. With each new shelling, many fighters jumped in their cars and raced north, toward Benghazi. Few professional soldiers were among them, just skittish volunteers more enthusiastic than battle-savvy. By evening, more cars were racing toward the battle than away from it, cars filled with men who said they heard Ajdabiya had already fallen.

They were not deterred by the news that it had not, and said they would attack in the dark. Their inexperience seemed to matter little: now, other armies were doing the hard work for them. “We’re waiting for the airstrikes,” said Khaled Soghayer, who idled his truck, with a heavy machine gun in the back, far from the battlefront.
The British have some wacky notions about republican accountability in a democracy:

Quote:
On Monday, as the Prime Minister promised the Commons on Friday, Parliament will vote on a substantive motion supporting the proposed military intervention in Libya.
I don't understand why the US Congress is so eager to shirk responsibility.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The posts in this thread only strengthen my deep discomfort with this latest military intervention.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstrap View Post
Apparently Obama is talking about handing over leadership of the campaign to either the French of British in a couple days. That would be an interesting and very prudent move, and I dare say a good one.
I would think they at least want to do this. Show support, lob a few missiles in, then turn around to the British/French and say "There, happy?" and GTFO as fast as possible.

Pretty clear that the US wanted no part of this, for several smart reasons, and were pretty much arm twisted into it.

I bet there's a bit of a shitstorm going on behind the scenes in Washington.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstrap View Post
Absolutely......we wouldn't want him to miss a single minute of his golf game now, would we?