U.S. Ambassador Killed Over Anti-Islam Movie - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Hang on a second. . .several friends of mine on Facebook that are pretty right-wing are reporting versions of the ambassador's death similar to what you are describing. I've variously heard that he was dragged through the streets by a mob and even one person saying he was sodomized, and yet I don't seem to hear that on any of the regular news reports. I admit I don't watch much TV news, but I do listen to NPR every day and not once did I hear his death described in this manner. My understanding was that he died of smoke inhalation and was taken to a hospital by Libyans. Did I miss something is or are right-wing media sources just making up stuff about what happened?

Also, I've heard from a wide variety of sources that the attacks in Libya were likely NOT spontaneous. Are you suggesting that the White House is maintaining that they were spontaneous even in the face of all this reporting to the opposite. Again, I've not heard anything to that effect.
From the accounts I've read, you've got it right. The 'mob', from what I understand, were there to help and not a mob at all
__________________

__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #152
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 03:02 AM
Quote:
KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide bomber rammed a car packed with explosives into a mini-bus carrying foreign aviation workers to the airport in the Afghan capital early Tuesday, killing 12 people in an attack a militant group said was revenge for an anti-Islam film that ridicules the Prophet Muhammad.

Nine foreigners and three Afghans lost their lives, the Interior Ministry told CBS News without disclosing the nationalities of the foreign victims.

The criminal director for the Kabul police department, Mohammad Zahir, said 10 Afghan bystanders were wounded.

Haroon Zarghoon, a spokesman for the Islamist militant group Hizb-i-Islami, claimed responsibility for the dawn attack in an email to The Associated Press. He said it was carried out by a 22-year-old woman named Fatima. It was the first reported suicide car bombing ever to be carried out by a woman in Afghanistan.
religion is a wonderful thing
without it how would we know the value of life
__________________

__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #153
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,049
Local Time: 10:02 PM
Just so heartening to see the reaction in Australia. A tiny minority of Muslims staged a protest in Sydney over the weekend, and most of the reaction I've seen has been along the lines of

FUCK THESE DOGS FUCKIN COME ERE THINK THEY CAN FUCK UP OUR COUNTRY IF YOU DONT LIKE IT FUCK OFF

yeah fkn tru that bro, fkn scumbags tha lotta em

Im just sick of it , i mean im not racist but muslims are just hateful and ungrateful time we got rid of em .

__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,014
Local Time: 09:32 PM
Those people clearly have not met any Muslims.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Hang on a second. . .several friends of mine on Facebook that are pretty right-wing are reporting versions of the ambassador's death similar to what you are describing. I've variously heard that he was dragged through the streets by a mob and even one person saying he was sodomized, and yet I don't seem to hear that on any of the regular news reports. I admit I don't watch much TV news, but I do listen to NPR every day and not once did I hear his death described in this manner. My understanding was that he died of smoke inhalation and was taken to a hospital by Libyans. Did I miss something is or are right-wing media sources just making up stuff about what happened?
I have no desire to look at the pictures so I'll admit dragging through the street is 2nd hand knowledge to me. So I'll retract that bit but imagine if GWB had flown to Vegas under the same circumstances. So when does the president take questions from the press as Romney has about all this?
Quote:
Also, I've heard from a wide variety of sources that the attacks in Libya were likely NOT spontaneous. Are you suggesting that the White House is maintaining that they were spontaneous even in the face of all this reporting to the opposite. Again, I've not heard anything to that effect.
This I can say is firsthand knowledge because I watched Ambassador Rice on the Sunday morning shows and I've heard W.H. Secretary Carney's answers when asked this question.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #156
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
but imagine if GWB had flown to Vegas under the same circumstances.
People would've shit all over him
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,002
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I have no desire to look at the pictures so I'll admit dragging through the street is 2nd hand knowledge to me. So I'll retract that bit but imagine if GWB had flown to Vegas under the same circumstances. So when does the president take questions from the press as Romney has about all this?
and GWB partying whereever it was (some guitarist entertaining him, as well) while people were trapped on roofs/or drowned in 'Nawlings during/after Hurricane Katrina...... doesn't count, INDY?
__________________
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:02 AM
I think that's exactly his point. GWB was dragged through the coals for that, thus Obama should be treated no differently
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 33,002
Local Time: 06:02 AM
[QUOTE=Jive Turkey;7570503]I think that's

oh... ok, yeah....
@self.... not totally awake..

i'd probably have to see the whole timeline...
was not feelng well over this weekend. Netter now. Haven't hadtime to do that. Am spending time on stuff ii didn't get to do over the weekend not caught up totally

only thing i can add at this point is that i'd trust that Obama would quickly be in contact withh advisors, his cabinate and others where ever he was when a horrible situation came

unlike GWB who looked like a deer in the headlight for how long after one of his people whispered to him that a 2nd planee had hit The Towers.....
__________________
dazzledbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I think that's exactly his point. GWB was dragged through the coals for that, thus Obama should be treated no differently
But I disagree with him. I think such judgments about either president are trivial and cheap. I feel the same about that people that like to make much of Bush at the elementary school on 9/11. I've always thought criticizing Bush for not leaping out of his seat and DOING something was shallow with(apologies to present company; I recall one of us recently made that very criticism just a few days ago--can't remember who or what thread. I do disagree with it).
__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #161
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
But I disagree with him. I think such judgments about either president are trivial and cheap. I feel the same about that people that like to make much of Bush at the elementary school on 9/11. I've always thought criticizing Bush for not leaping out of his seat and DOING something was shallow with(apologies to present company; I recall one of us recently made that very criticism just a few days ago--can't remember who or what thread. I do disagree with it).
Well that's at least consistent. I'd tend to agree with you about the elementary school thing; we're talking minutes there. When days pass and no action is taken or statements made, then it becomes less forgivable
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 07:02 AM
Adding fuel to the fire...

Quote:
"It happens that the news this week is Mohammed and this lousy film, so we are drawing cartoons about this subject," Charbonnier told CNN affiliate BFM-TV on Wednesday. "It's more turning in derision this grotesque film than to make fun of Mohammed."
He may have a point, but plenty of Muslims find any depiction of the prophet offensive. Given what is going on the world, what is he thinking?
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Who gives a shit if plenty of muslims find any depiction of their prophet offensive? Why should I have to adhere to their ridiculous beliefs? I'm happy more people are drawing cartoons about it (The fact that is an actual sentence is insane). Fuck the idiots who feel they can strong arm people with violence at worst, or threats of violence at best. Draw away.
Just one more in a long list of examples of why religion is the bane of human existence
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:02 AM
"What exactly was in the film? Who made it? What were their motives? Was Muhammad really depicted? Was that a Qur’an burning, or some other book? Questions of this kind are obscene. Here is where the line must be drawn and defended without apology: We are free to burn the Qur’an or any other book, and to criticize Muhammad or any other human being. Let no one forget it."

On the Freedom to Offend an Imaginary God : Sam Harris
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #165
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey
Who gives a shit if plenty of muslims find any depiction of their prophet offensive? Why should I have to adhere to their ridiculous beliefs? I'm happy more people are drawing cartoons about it (The fact that is an actual sentence is insane). Fuck the idiots who feel they can strong arm people with violence at worst, or threats of violence at best. Draw away.
Just one more in a long list of examples of why religion is the bane of human existence

No one is denying you this freedom. I support it. I like mocking all religions.

But just because people shouldn't riot doesn't mean that they won't, or that we don't know that they will riot, and that we should act surprised when they do.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com