U.S.: A Third-World Future?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I, on the other hand, am primarily interested in critical thinking and the philosophy of thought; that is, knowing that there is something wrong with society, what is the best course to correct it?

For long-term solutions in a short-term, bureaucratic, corrupt world we need more than critical thinking, we also need conceptual and breakthrough thinking.

This clip makes some very interesting points on problem-solving, constraints, conventional wisdom and motivation.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pink_on_motivation.html

For long-term solutions in a short-term, bureaucratic, corrupt world we need more than critical thinking, we also need conceptual and breakthrough thinking.

This clip makes some very interesting points on problem-solving, constraints, conventional wisdom and motivation.

Dan Pink on the surprising science of motivation | Video on TED.com

Very good points. And, quite likely, I'd say that I was applying an overly broad definition of "critical thinking" in my mind that really would include these too. Thanks for bringing this and Levine's thoughts to my attention!

I think, on that note, I'm going to give my mind a rest. I've been reading a lot of politics, philosophy, and history, and I think I'm going to spend some time working on art for a while!

I think it would be good to have more focus on education on economics, especially as regards financial bubbles and the like.

As a non-American, I think talk of the US becoming a Third World society is overdone, it seems to me America is just going through one of these crises of confidence that seem to follow the bursting of bubbles, it was the same story in the 1970s and early 1990s.

As a Libertarian, it seems the U.S. government seems intent on ignoring the Constitution and expanding the increasing intrusion on the rights of the people.

The future, right now, does not look good.

I think, on that note, I'm going to give my mind a rest. I've been reading a lot of politics, philosophy, and history, and I think I'm going to spend some time working on art for a while!

Well, a lot of us wish you would post more on FYM, but I guess time is a finite resource unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom