Two NYPD Officers Killed in Brooklyn Ambush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
21cops-hp-slide-8S20-slide.jpg

ByBENJAMINMUELLER andALBAKER
N.Y. Times
DECEMBER 20, 2014

Two police officers sitting in their patrol car in Brooklyn were shot at point-blank range and killed on Saturday afternoon by a man who, officials said, had traveled to the city from Baltimore vowing to kill officers. The suspect then committed suicide with the same gun, the authorities said.

The officers, Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos, were in the car near Myrtle and Tompkins Avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant in the shadow of a tall housing project when the gunman, Ismaaiyl Brinsley, walked up to the passenger-side window and assumed a firing stance, Police Commissioner William J. Bratton said. Mr. Brinsley shot several rounds into the heads and upper bodies of the officers, who never drew their weapons, the authorities said.

Mr. Brinsley, 28, then fled down the street and onto the platform of a nearby subway station, where he killed himself as officers closed in. The police recovered a silver semiautomatic handgun, Mr. Bratton said.

Mr. Brinsley, who had a long rap sheet of crimes that included robbery and carrying a concealed gun, is believed to have shot his former girlfriend near Baltimore before traveling to Brooklyn, the authorities said. He made statements on social media suggesting that he planned to kill police officers and was angered about the Eric Garner and Michael Brown cases.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/2...hot-in-their-patrol-car-in-brooklyn.html?_r=0

We'll I guess the "what do we want? Dead cops!" protestors got their wish didn't they?

That he killed his girlfriend (going by reports) shouldn't be swept under the rug here.

Awww Bloody Hell..... I wonder what Jackson and Sharpton will react???

Just plain awful...

We'll I guess the "what do we want? Dead cops!" protestors got their wish didn't they?

i should remember not to drop in to FYM if want to enjoy my down time. :|

trying to play well w others....

Probably 95% of "The Protesters" would be/are horrified by this murderous act . As I am.
I have not protested, but my empathy and sympathies are with them as i tend towards agreeing with them.

And most people in communities of color want good police to protect them and also want them to not tend to view most young men of color (their sons, cousins, brothers, friends etc) as "pontential preps".

I find your comment of a very unnuanced, perhaps ignorant nature of what of the kind of experiences people of color often go through, are judged too quickly by ... to think most of the people of color and white empathizers protesters want "dead cops". jeeeez

i am white and i too have on occasion been afraid of cops when
PEACEFULLY have protested the War in Vietnam, the first Gulf War, The War in Iraq (Pres W Bush), The Republican Convention ...

Awww Bloody Hell..... I wonder what Jackson and Sharpton will react???

Just plain awful...

aaawww, YBOR..... really? don't know u well.... but i don't think i'd expect a question like that from you. I'd expect more nuance ...
I'm sure that Rev Sharpton and Jessie Jackson would be/are as appalled as most people are of this terrible crime.

i woke up several times this (Sun) early, mid-morning morning- getting up very late and kept thinking "something's wrong..." Then i remembered the 2 officers. was like... oh..... yeah...... :(

i should remember not to drop in to FYM if want to enjoy my down time. :|

trying to play well w others....

Probably 95% of "The Protesters" would be/are horrified by this murderous act . As I am.
I have not protested, but my empathy and sympathies are with them as i tend towards agreeing with them.

And most people in communities of color want good police to protect them and also want them to not tend to view most young men of color (their sons, cousins, brothers, friends etc) as "pontential preps".

I find your comment of a very unnuanced, perhaps ignorant nature of what of the kind of experiences people of color often go through, are judged too quickly by ... to think most of the people of color and white empathizers protesters want "dead cops". jeeeez

i am white and i too have on occasion been afraid of cops when
PEACEFULLY have protested the War in Vietnam, the first Gulf War, The War in Iraq (Pres W Bush), The Republican Convention ...

I have been afraid of cops too, and have been beaten at a protest. Smashed in the head and then beaten while I lay on the ground at peaceful rally where not only was nobody being violent or vandalizing anything, there were no words that could be construed as inciting violence. Many were beaten that day for no reason, and many were arrested and held without charge or being given a phone call for over 24 hours, not given food or water....

Most people are horrified by the murder of the cops, no matter what the NYPD wants us to think. The amount of people out there parroting them, thinking that all protestors want dead cops, is frightening. Most people protesting the violence of the police and the rigged justice system would not support further violence. That's what they're against, for God's sake. But the police departments feel that they are infallible and should never be criticized.

I was also confronted by a rouge cop once. If I had tried to verbally engage him further or shown any movement, he was ready to be physically aggressive.

Yes, there are some bad cops out there, but can any of us name a group of people who don't have a few bad apples? Any group?

Law enforcement people put their lives on the line every day. The vast majority of them do a great job. Like us, they are not perfect. They admit that and do their best to correct any mistakes.

Fourteen of them have been killed the last two months in the U.S.

And now again with the two officers in Brooklyn.

So sad and so senseless.

Come on, the life of a woman versus two cops? It would take the deaths of maybe 200 women to equal the deaths of two cops.

I'm just going to operate under the assumption that you're being sarcastic (it's not funny)

ETA: This is the busiest I've seen FYM in years. I like it.

There is a certain irony in that it wasn't a black on white retribution. Given the ethnicities of the 2 officers.

Just an observation. (I feel like sometimes acknowledging race in these forums will get people to jump all over you).

There is a certain irony in that it wasn't a black on white retribution. Given the ethnicities of the 2 officers.

Just an observation. (I feel like sometimes acknowledging race in these forums will get people to jump all over you).

I think you're incorrect in your observations, I haven't seen anyone categorize this as black on white retribution.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As was Garner's death, there should be equal concern for both, but I don't see it. In fact I've seen you defend the cop in that incident by saying if Garner hadn't resisted arrest he'd be alive today.

Well, he's gotta point. I think the cop was over aggressive, but it is true that if he hadn't resisted arrest he would indeed be alive.
Lest not us also forget that Garner had well over 30 criminal charges in the last 25+ years. Eventually that will catch up to you. I know that seems pretty blunt and controversial, but it is true; this man had a violent past. Multiple assault, domestic abuse, and weapon charges.
Like I said before, the cop was out of line and should've been charged with manslaughter. But Eric Garner isn't some great father and just a random guy out on the street getting choked to death.

Well, he's gotta point. I think the cop was over aggressive, but it is true that if he hadn't resisted arrest he would indeed be alive.
Lest not us also forget that Garner had well over 30 criminal charges in the last 25+ years. Eventually that will catch up to you. I know that seems pretty blunt and controversial, but it is true; this man had a violent past. Multiple assault, domestic abuse, and weapon charges.
Like I said before, the cop was out of line and should've been charged with manslaughter. But Eric Garner isn't some great father and just a random guy out on the street getting choked to death.

Have you seen the video? Did that look like a an uncontrollable resistance of arrest? The truth is that he was NOT committing a crime at the time of choke hold. Period. His past, according to how our justice system works, had very little to do with this.

Have you seen the video? Did that look like a an uncontrollable resistance of arrest? The truth is that he was NOT committing a crime at the time of choke hold. Period. His past, according to how our justice system works, had very little to do with this.

You totally missed my point here.
I said that the cop was using excessive force and should've been charged. However, Garner was resisting arrest at the time, which is a crime.
And with regards to the 2nd part, I was alluding to the fact that living a life of crime (which is a fair statement to make) eventually catches up to you. Continuing to not learn from mistakes and not turning your life around will most likely cause more serious consequences down the road. That's how life works. Obviously this is on a much larger scale, but it's a basic rule of life that stubbornness and unwillingness to learn has it's consequences.
It's unfortunate what happened and was a bad situation all around. Nothing good came from that incident.

You totally missed my point here.
I said that the cop was using excessive force and should've been charged. However, Garner was resisting arrest at the time, which is a crime.
And with regards to the 2nd part, I was alluding to the fact that living a life of crime (which is a fair statement to make) eventually catches up to you. Continuing to not learn from mistakes and not turning your life around will most likely cause more serious consequences down the road. That's how life works. Obviously this is on a much larger scale, but it's a basic rule of life that stubbornness and unwillingness to learn has it's consequences.
It's unfortunate what happened and was a bad situation all around. Nothing good came from that incident.

Wow... you thought that was resistance? What a joke...

The truth is that he was NOT committing a crime at the time of choke hold. Period.

That actually would not be the truth.

He wasn't committing a violent crime, or even a serious crime... but yes, he was alleged to be in the act of committing a crime when police officers approached him.

A very minor crime... the selling of loosies... untaxed cigarettes. He resisted arrest, and a tragedy occurred. He was also out on parole at the time of the incident. He had a lengthy history of arrests. Does that mean he should have been killed? Of course not. But when you consider that he was a convict with a history of violence, on parole, and under suspicion of committing illegal acts... added with his size, and now the size of the police response makes a tad bit more sense.

The coroners who testified to the grand jury stated that the pressure placed on his chest, combined with his health issues, is more likely what led to the cardiac arrest that killed him than the hold the officer put on him, which did not render him unconscious, nor did it cause him to be unable to breath, which is the common narrative, but not the actual facts.

The medical examiner ruled it a homicide. Yes, that's true. Most people hear that and instantly assume that means he was murdered. The actual definition doesn't even say that a crime was committed. It just says that an action by an individual helped cause his death. It's up to a jury to decide if a crime was committed.

The officer should not be charged with murder. The facts simply don't support this. Could a lesser charge been brought? Maybe. But as he didn't die from asphyxiation, it would have been hard to convict him. Should interdepartmental discipline be done? I'd argue yes. He didn't follow police procedure. He also didn't kill this man.

The practice of going after low level crimes, the "broken window" policy of policing, as a way to stop high level crimes from occurring is a common practice. It was brought to this department by Commissioner Bratton, as a replacement for the stop and frisk policy, and is all part of deBlasio's platform; Not some big police conspiracy.

This. Was. Not. Ferguson.

It's time for us to get back to the real issues. Want to protest the socioeconomic issues that are holding our poor communities back, and have been for decades?

I'm there with you, arm and arm.

Want to go after the guns, getting them off the streets, attacking the gun lobbies and the hard right and their idiotic arguments in favor of gun rights?

I'm there.

Decriminalization of minor drug offenses?

Sign me up.

You want to protest the sorry state of our schools in poor communities? To offer alternative education to poor families just like well to do families get? (the same kind of schools deBlasio tried to shut down as a campaign promise to the teacher's unions?). You want to fight for more after school programs? Rehabilitation programs for young adults who've been in and out of the justice system, giving them a shot at a real life?

Tell me where to go. I'm there.

Marching up and down the streets, assaulting officers, saying the rank and file police are racists, calling them "KKK" and "murderers"? Ignoring pleas for a pause so that two officers who were gunned down on cold blood can be laid to rest in peace?

Fuck you.

Actually there is nothing that proves he was selling loosies at the time, and he wasn't being arrested for that at the time. Yes it's a gray area, but let's not pretend this was a resisting of arrest.

Actually there is nothing that proves he was selling loosies at the time, and he wasn't being arrested for that at the time. Yes it's a gray area, but let's not pretend this was a resisting of arrest.

Are you kidding me?
It is impossible to have a real debate with someone who is completely ignorant of facts. Once you can have a logical counter argument with facts, I'll listen. For now, screw you. You bring nothing to the conversation whatsoever besides responding with some kind of stupid one liner.

Agree or not, that was a pretty snippy response to such a thought-out post from Headache.

Are you kidding me?
It is impossible to have a real debate with someone who is completely ignorant of facts. Once you can have a logical counter argument with facts, I'll listen. For now, screw you. You bring nothing to the conversation whatsoever besides responding with some kind of stupid one liner.

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/12/eric-garner-killed-illegally-selling-loose-cigarettes/

Back
Top Bottom