TV Polygamous Family Investigated - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:42 PM
'pair-normative social conditioning' was rather funny

I thought the issue here was whether polygamous relationships should be criminalized, not whether the state should recognize polygamous marriages.
Quote:
the federal lawsuit does not call for plural marriages to be recognized by the state. Instead, it asks for polygamy between consenting adults like his clients, Kody Brown and his wives, to no longer be considered a crime.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:42 PM
I don't understand why they would be investigated and not protected.

Polygamy, which was rampant in the bible and acceptable, and is a common way of life in many places in the world (and in some parts of the United States) is outlawed, illegal and subject to investigation while Homosexuality, which is condemmed in the bible, is fully protected and championed and god-help-you if you say anything against it....

I don't think there would be the same reaction if it were a reality show concerning a GLBT family.

So what's the difference? Why investigate and condemm one without investigating and condemming the other?

I don't want to be argumentative- I want to understand.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post

Polygamy, which was rampant in the bible and acceptable, and is a common way of life in many places in the world (and in some parts of the United States) is outlawed, illegal and subject to investigation while Homosexuality, which is condemmed in the bible, is fully protected and championed and god-help-you if you say anything against it....

I don't think there would be the same reaction if it were a reality show concerning a GLBT family.

So what's the difference? Why investigate and condemm one without investigating and condemming the other?

I thought you watched Fox News... homosexuality is being fully protected and championed? Since when?

How many gay married couples do you see on reality TV? Being that it's ILLEGAL in most states, probably very few right?

So what exactly is your question?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Quote:

Slavery is rampant and accepted in the Bible, so does that make it acceptable?

Come to think of it, polygamy can be like slavery, since many women are forced into the marriages and have to be completely obedient to their husbands. If they were allowed to speak up more, those wives would leave the polygamous marriage and find themselves a husband they could have all to themselves.

Here's how Malaysians and Indonesians see the practice:

Quote:
In the survey coordinated by two German-based cultural organizations, 86.5 percent of 1,496 Indonesians interviewed and 72.7 percent of 1,060 Malaysians said they were against polygamy. More females opposed polygamy compared to males, who are permitted four wives under Islamic law.
The findings indicate that opinions among the young in both Muslim-majority nations "have shifted from the traditional viewpoint that sees polygamy as an Islamic precept," according to a survey summary released Monday by the Goeth-Institut and the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom.
The all-Muslim respondents who participated in face-to-face interviews last October and November were from 15 to 25 years old.
Indonesia and Malaysia have Southeast Asia's largest Muslim populations, and polygamy has become widely debated in both countries in recent years. Women's groups say many men who enter polygamous marriages neglect their existing wives and children financially and emotionally.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_895544.html

My concern over polygamy is that not only does it hurt women, but that religious groups will fight for the right for polygamous marriages. And they could win since it has been around for ages, common in other countries, and is sanctioned by religion. Plus, wouldn't marriage be a joke if someone could have as many spouses as they want?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:42 AM
I have a problem with polygamy if it involves underage/teen/young girls. Other than that it's the women making that marriage choice (unless it's some sort of unlawful/illegal coercion), so how is that any different than any marriage choice that any woman can make?

We can't always go around trying to legally protect women from themselves or from men. As much as we might want to sometimes. Like Liesje said earlier- perhaps not a healthy sense of self, no sense of self.

Another thing I couldn't stomach on Sister Wives-when he told one of the wives that just the thought of her with another man was so degrading. I think that was the word he used. I think he did say that he realized that was a double standard, not sure. I'd have to see the episode again. That attitude certainly does have a sexist double standard. I don't know if his attitude exemplifies the attitude of most men who have multiple wives.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Why are we assuming all polygamous relationships will involve members of the opposite sex? Can't they be same-sex as well?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Polygamy, which was rampant in the bible and acceptable, while Homosexuality, which is condemmed in the bible
Because we, thankfully, do not live in a Christian theocracy, and the Bible does not inform secular laws.

This is to say nothing of the sorts of things that were rampant and acceptable in the Bible which we would justly condemn today.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500
Why are we assuming all polygamous relationships will involve members of the opposite sex? Can't they be same-sex as well?
Well your bigotry has made it so that they can't even marry one let alone several.

Anyways have you met any homosexuals that are THAT selfish?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Well it certainly is interesting that you don't see gay polygamists. I've never heard of any.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Well it certainly is interesting that you don't see gay polygamists. I've never heard of any.
You're quite right about that. Probably not a coincidence that cultures that allow for polygamy tend not to tolerate homosexuality. And vice versa I suppose.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe many gay people are just into a committed relationship/marriage with just one person. I don't see any fight in the gay community for the right to marry more than one person.