Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregoropa, so that you don't accuse me of just soundbytes, I'm wondering if you've taken a look at the House Republicans' tax code amendments? The alleged Mexican Wall funding is meant to come from the so-called border adjustment. I'm wondering if you actually believe that the plan, as proposed, would not add significantly to the deficit?

good luck with this, kids.

Trump Promises On Health Insurance Appealed To Family Struggling With Cost : Shots - Health News : NPR

i have no doubt that Obamacare premiums may have been as much a determinate of the election as much as Comey or fake news or any other reason given for the results.

but what i hear from these people is what they really want is a public option. that seems to be the only solution where everyone has access to quality insurance, and that insurance is affordable.

Part of that article stood out to me:

"It's frustrating, she said, because she and her husband are relatively healthy and haven't needed that much care."

Maybe it's different in the US, but I always thought that insurance was something one purchased to help in the event of needing it, not because they had a current reason to claim? I've got car insurance but have yet to have an accident *touch wood*. And I didn't need to buy home insurance but I'm glad I did when I was burgled.

The article also says that previously, insurance was optional but only available to those with a pre-existing condition. Get sick without insurance? Tough shit. Bet you wish you had coverage now.

America's health insurance situation certainly needs an overhaul, both pre and post-ACA, but it seems that a little education for its citizens on why insurance is so important in the first place wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Do you miss the good old days when the press just fainted in the presence of POTUS? This guy is an embarrassment to journalists everywhere.

Yeah I voted for him, and I would do it again. He's a bull in a China Shop, and the China Shop is our government which has descended into a cronyist morass over the past 20 years. 15 trillion in debt since 2000. It's time to break some china (no pun intended). I didn't watch the whole press conference, but I thoroughly enjoyed the parts that I did. The press has a lower trustworthy rating among the Public than the congressional favorability rating of ~15%.

CNN has truly become a joke. Proven collusion with the DNC against Bernie and Trump. If you say that is BS, then why was DWS forced to resign? That is not journalistic integrity of holding Truth to Power.

We have had 8 years of Obama bashing Fox News. Trump calls CNN 'fake news' and suddenly everybody is panicked that the 1st Amendment is on the chopping block.

Everybody take a deep breath.

FFS you have to learn to make honest and real comparisons.

I've edited this post 5 times, trying really hard to be nice; it's embarrassing that you think this is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

America's health insurance situation certainly needs an overhaul, both pre and post-ACA, but it seems that a little education for its citizens on why insurance is so important in the first place wouldn't be a bad place to start.

i think people understand why they need insurance, i think the problem has been the sticker shock of what it costs to insure unhealthy people who were previously uninsured.

also, this is fine. just fine.

NEW YORK -- Donald Trump was met with a rousing round of applause when he exited the elevators Wednesday at Trump Tower for his first press conference in 167 days.

But that enthusiastic greeting came from supporters and members of his own staff, not the estimated hundreds of reporters who gathered to ask him questions.

Trump's family waited in the wings of the stage to his right, while senior advisers including Steve Bannon, Kellyanne Conway, Sean Spicer and Steve Mnuchin stood to the left, out of view of the cameras. A small, vocal group clustered near Trump's family by the elevators acted as cheerleaders for the President-elect for the duration of the hour-long event, laughing heartily at his jokes and responding aloud to his rhetorical questions.

When Trump asked if Russian president Vladimir Putin would have found Hillary Clinton to be a greater adversary, a few of his staffers called out "no!"

His mention of his longtime secretary, Rhona Graff, while he recalled how he set up his own test to smoke out any leakers on his staff after a meeting with U.S. intelligence officials was also met with a knowing chuckle.

This chorus of affirmation made a jarring contrast to the adversarial tone of the press conference itself. Trump refused to take questions from a reporter from CNN, which he branded "fake news," and from BuzzFeed, which he called a "failing pile of garbage."

CNN on Tuesday published a report that U.S. intelligence officials presented both Trump and President Barack Obama with a two-page document summarizing allegations that Russian operatives had "compromising personal and financial information" about the President-elect, while BuzzFeed published the 35-page dossier from which the news site said those allegations were drawn.

Most notably, applause broke out in Trump’s cheering section when he shut down the repeated efforts of CNN’s Jim Acosta to get a question in and admonished him not to be “rude.”

“No, I'm not going to give you a question,” Trump told Acosta. “I am not going to give you a question. You are fake news.”

“Mr. President-elect that is not appropriate,” Acosta interjected.

As other reporters stood up to get the President-elect’s attention, a few in Trump’s circle whooped and others clapped enthusiastically.

Because Trump's staffers and supporters were blocked by a line of reporters crowded into the packed room, it was difficult to differentiate them from members of the press. That prompted some observers on Twitter to believe that it was the assembled journalists applauding

Trump Staff Laughed, Clapped Along During Adversarial Press Conference

I also love how the right is laughing at CNN as if the left likes them.

I blame CNN largely for where we are today. It's their 20 years of "presenting both sides" and "both sides do it" false equivocating and their running of Trump's events, speeches, interviews 24/7 for the last year that contributed to him getting elected. Appalling behaviour driven by ratings/money.

So they can go fuck right off along with the revolting Trump.

Agreed, I've never liked CNN nor channels similar to it - have felt this long before I reached my current politics. I think the US right wing is much more tied to defending Fox News than US liberals are with the likes of MSNBC or CNN.

Yeah I voted for him, and I would do it again. He's a bull in a China Shop

No, he's just a jerk. And not a jerk in the "Yeah, he's an asshole, but he gets things done" sort of way. He's just a jerk in the "bullies everyone and treats people like shit for no reason" sort of way.

and the China Shop is our government which has descended into a cronyist morass over the past 20 years. 15 trillion in debt since 2000. It's time to break some china (no pun intended).

First off, I'll refer you other people's comments here about the deficit.

Second, if you honestly believe Trump is NOT going to add to our deficit, if you honestly believe he's a true "outsider" who'll fix the cronyism that runs through Washington, well, that is some serious naivete at work. He can't een keep his businesses from going under. What in the hell makes you think he's honestly going to do any better at handling the financial aspects of our government.

And third, if you and other Trump supporters really cared about trying to stop the establishment/cronyism shit, then why in the world did so many of you re-elect many of the same people to Congress? Incumbents won a lot of races last November. Explain how that's changing the system.

I didn't watch the whole press conference, but I thoroughly enjoyed the parts that I did. The press has a lower trustworthy rating among the Public than the congressional favorability rating of ~15%.

CNN has truly become a joke. Proven collusion with the DNC against Bernie and Trump. If you say that is BS, then why was DWS forced to resign? That is not journalistic integrity of holding Truth to Power.

Again, you're presuming people here are CNN fans.

And yes, the press is failing with people...because they let clickbait and fake news BS run the day, and they let things that are not at all true stand on TV because of some misguided view of "letting both sides speak".

Also, you complain about CNN being in cahoots with the DNC and whatnot. Fox News is just as much of a shill for the conservative politicians and cozies up to them, too. Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee were involved with that network.

We have had 8 years of Obama bashing Fox News. Trump calls CNN 'fake news' and suddenly everybody is panicked that the 1st Amendment is on the chopping block.

One, Obama calling out Fox News for the lies they constantly spout is not "bashing" them, it's stating facts.

Two, I'm not going at Trump's press conference from a First Amendment angle. Trump calling CNN "fake news" is frankly the least of my concerns regarding his press conference. But for Trump to complain about the media telling lies is hilarious. He sure seemed to have no problem supporting anything the media said about Hillary, regardless of how untrue it is. He spent years making a big thing out of Obama not being born here, and didn't care that the news reported on it.

But now that the tables are turned on him suddenly he throws one of his usual temper tantrums, compares them to Nazi Germany, and everyone's suddenly lying and making shit up. Now that he's getting a taste of his own medicine, he can't handle it. That is hypocrisy of the highest order, and THAT is what is pissing people off.

Along with, again, the fact that he's so thin-skinned and unhinged that he can't respond to anyone in a calm, rational manner. He picks fights and whines. Anyone who wants the job of president has to learn to build a significantly thicker skin than that, because if he gets this bent out of shape at a press conference, he is not going to have a good time when a foreign leader calls him out, or when the public disagrees with something he does (which will no doubt happen on a regular basis).

Everybody take a deep breath.

When Trump proves himself to be a mature human being and shows some actual understanding of and respect for the job he's about to take on, then maybe I will.

Last edited:
FFS you have to learn to make honest and real comparisons.

I've edited this post 5 times, trying really hard to be nice; it's embarrassing that you think this is the same.

Oh Beevs, you know I love you deep down. Even if you were to insult me. You would be my choice to share a foxhole with if this were 72 years ago.

I didn't watch the whole press conference, but I thoroughly enjoyed the parts that I did.

for real? the guy was completely illiterate and incoherent - didn't answer a single question - just random garbling :lol:

I'm watching Lindsay Graham and Ted Cruz complain about the UN treatment of Israel and talk about how Obama has been so terrible, our enemies don't fear us and our friends don't trust us, etc.

And it feels ok. Because they are speaking actual, understandable, appropriate language on topic about which they are informed. And you know what, they aren't talking about themselves and how great they are, just terrific, and how there are so many sick, sick people out there who are out to get them.

The difference between these two and our PEOTUS is profound, and these two are hardly a high bar. But I feel like they are using their words in appropriate, informed ways and are speaking about something other than themselves. They are wrong, but they are using a langue with which we can disagree.

The Trump team and their denial of reality and discrediting of facts are a bunch of nihilists.

I'm watching Lindsay Graham and Ted Cruz complain about the UN treatment of Israel and talk about how Obama has been so terrible, our enemies don't fear us and our friends don't trust us, etc.

And it feels ok. Because they are speaking actual, understandable, appropriate language on topic about which they are informed. And you know what, they aren't talking about themselves and how great they are, just terrific, and how there are so many sick, sick people out there who are out to get them.

The difference between these two and our PEOTUS is profound, and these two are hardly a high bar. But I feel like they are using their words in appropriate, informed ways and are speaking about something other than themselves. They are wrong, but they are using a langue with which we can disagree.

The Trump team and their denial of reality and discrediting of facts are a bunch of nihilists.
Bring back George W, he's like a dream compared to Trump. Trump is a con artist and trying to bluff his way through being president, he clearly doesn't know what he's doing which combined with his lashing out and narcissism is a terrifying prospect. If we think it's bad so far, it's only going to get much worse.

Repealing Obamacare will lead to a $7 million tax cut for each of the 400 richest Americans and nothing for people making less than $200,000. And millions if the poorest will lose healthcare! That's totally fair.

chartQuinnipiacPollNovJan.png

He's just a blue collar bull in a China shop anti-establishment swamp draining billionaire that will make this country great again. We'll get to say Merry Christmas, we'll be able to mock the less fortunate, grab women freely, not everyone will have insurance, won't have to live with Muslims, won't have to bother with vaccines or worrying about the environment. Fuck this will awesome!

Voted for Trump? Proud now?
Tonight, the Republican Party voted to begin dismantling "Obamacare." Rather than let them erase the law and its protections in one swoop, Democrats fought back by proposing amendments to save certain parts, like healthcare protections for veterans. Republicans voted against that. (But thanks for your service, vets!)
Then Republicans voted against the rule that says insurance companies have to cover "pre-existing conditions," (so if you have had cancer, diabetes, or heart problems in the past, good luck keeping even your private insurance now.) Then they killed CHIP, which is the Children's Health Insurance Program, which provided health care to impoverished sick kids. Again - they voted against health care for poor kids. (So Christlike.)
The Republicans then voted against continuing federal aid to rural hospitals, which is the only thing keeping many of them open. (I guess the joke's on all those deep-red heartland counties who voted for this one-party rule.) All you pro-life folks - they also voted against contraception coverage. With no health coverage for their pregnancies, more women will choose abortions to avoid bankruptcy. (Oops!) Also, that rule saying you can keep your kids on your private insurance until they're 26? Gone. Democrats also forced a vote to protect Medicare and Medicaid from being reduced, but Republicans voted against those, too. Old people and the infirm - to hell with them, right?
Democrats made them vote on every one of these topics - partly so voters could see exactly what was being voted against. And every time, like clockwork, the Republicans voted against the needs of human beings and in support of profits for insurance companies and tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, which paid for parts of these programs. It was sickening to see the votes unfold.
Democrats argued into the wee hours, but this is life under one-party rule. If you voted for Trump and his Republican majority, this is what you wanted. Abject human suffering. Drink deep. Here is your victory.
Not one Republican offered a single proposal to replace any of these .
--Anthony Breznican

You got conned and will forever be on the wrong side of history.

Holy shit.

Fuck you, Republicans.

(Last year the Republican governor of my state, Iowa, decided to privatize our state healthcare program. Shocker of shockers, it's a complete mess now thanks to him, and a lot of people are pissed.

But hey, who cares about people's health, right? Limited government//private sector can handle it all, and all that jazz.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom