Trump General Discussion III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think it's pretty rich for a guy to be railing on getting all these immigrants out in a post that's riddled with bad English.

I'm talking about ILLEGAL immigrants. It's ironic how someone who is railing on me for my "bad english" has no reading comprehension skills.

on Trump voters being stupid: no, obviously not all. i even said "disproportionate amount" have issues with spelling/grammar, which implies a portion of a whole, and also implies that on whatever is known as "the other side" also has supporters with grammar/spelling issues.

it wasn't a nice thing to say, but i do think that education is a root cause of the predicament we find ourselves in -- and don't ask me, look at how and who voted and their education levels. it seems to me that the more educated among us will naturally be less likely to post something filled with spelling and grammar mistakes, and some stuff is obviously due to autocorrect and typing too quickly or simply misunderstanding (years ago i was called out for writing "per say" vs. "per se" -- fair enough). i felt i was being more ironical than literal, but tone can be tough to discern online.

however, more to the point, while i absolutely sympathize with the economic despair of many who voted for Trump, including the struggles outlined by Bob, it does seem shocking to me that they couldn't tell that electing him was both morally wrong in absolute terms, based on his behavior, and strategically idiotic based on his actual interests and commitments. is this a lack of education? intentional ignorance? willingness to adopt magical thinking? there is absolutely no evidence at all that Trump is somehow going to keep us safe by bombing ISIS and stealing the oil. there is no evidence that deporting 3-11m people is going to bring back jobs to the US, or that "illegal" immigrants are in any way connected to economic despair.

it seems to me that these promises and pronouncements are nothing more than a shot of adrenalin, a WWE match of scripted, testosterone-filled chest thumping. and if you can't tell the difference between shouting "YEAH!" in a crowded arena and actually running a country, then it's nobody's fault but your own. you don't need a fancy education or a blue-state zip code -- or to have good grammar or flawless spelling -- to be able to tell that Trump is a liar and uninterested in the work of government. he likes to win. period.

i wish the absolute best for every single person in this country, and i hope things turn out for the best, but i am also not interested in coddling someone unless and until they recognize, their complicity in putting a racist, sexist, xenophobic, lying, bullying, narcissist in office -- especially when any sort of research will tell them that a Muslim ban won't keep them safe and a wall on the Mexican border isn't bringing their jobs back and a 35% tariff on Chinese goods isn't going to help anyone.

votes are not symbolic. votes have consequences, and we must be responsible and hold others responsible for the consequences of our and their own actions.

Evan McMullin, the Republican from Utah, said something very well in a recent NYTimes op-ed:

We can no longer assume that all Americans understand the origins of their rights and the importance of liberal democracy. We need a new era of civic engagement that will reawaken us to the cause of liberty and equality.

Last edited:
on Trump voters being stupid: no, obviously not all. i even said "disproportionate amount" have issues with spelling/grammar, which implies a portion of a whole, and also implies that on whatever is known as "the other side" also has supporters with grammar/spelling issues.

How is my grammar and spelling?

Obviously you don't like what I said.

Why should I be okay with what he said?

I disagree with your post but honestly if you think it's going to cause me to lose any sleep then you might be over-thinking this a little bit.

At the end of the day we're just kids (and grown-ups too, hopefully) posting on a message board. If his post got you that fired up, maybe it's time to back away for a bit and enjoy the finer points in life.

Cheers :cocktail::beer:

I disagree with your post but honestly if you think it's going to cause me to lose any sleep then you might be over-thinking this a little bit.

At the end of the day we're just kids (and grown-ups too, hopefully) posting on a message board. If his post got you that fired up, maybe it's time to back away for a bit and enjoy the finer points in life.

Really, man? You're going to tell me what's allowed to bother me and what's not? Whether intended or not, that's a personal topic. Let me make that loud and clear -- if you discuss anything to do with the Pulse nightclub shooting on this web forum, it's personal to me. You will be met with harsh rebuttal for stupidity, ignorance, or manipulation of the subject.

I'm not "over-thinking" anything. I don't need to "back away" from anything. I don't need you suggesting I do so.

Irrationality is a disease.

Pot, meet kettle... holy crap dude, that's fresh coming from you.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Really, man? You're going to tell me what's allowed to bother me and what's not? Whether intended or not, that's a personal topic. Let me make that loud and clear -- if you discuss anything to do with the Pulse nightclub shooting on this web forum, it's personal to me. You will be met with harsh rebuttal for stupidity, ignorance, or manipulation of the subject.

I'm not "over-thinking" anything. I don't need to "back away" from anything. I don't need you suggesting I do so.

Irrationality is a disease.

No. You are quite capable of being bothered by whatever your heart desires. My point, which im afraid i didn't emote very well in this instance, is that perhaps there are better things in life than twisting off on a message board.

Make no mistake the Pulse nightclub shooting was a horrific event, nobody would argue that. I get that it is personal to you and i can certainly respect that.

I just hope you understand that my intention was not to mock your circumstance or feelings but instead to point out (from my own personal experience) that stepping away from the keyboard can sometimes be as refreshing as maybe the first time you discovered this place....and whatever that means to you.

I'm still not sure what your point is. A message board is for discussion. It's an outlet. The point is to participate. I enjoy being here. I enjoy participating. I'm not going to not participate just because people are stupid.

I'm still not sure what your point is. A message board is for discussion. It's an outlet. The point is to participate. I enjoy being here. I enjoy participating. I'm not going to not participate just because people are stupid.

People are not stupid simply because they share a different opinion than you. Every person is different and therefore everyone comes at this from a slightly different angle. Telling them "F U" or whatever that was (im too lazy to go back and look) does not make you the better man. Maybe you were getting kind of worked up or maybe you really enjoy telling people to fuck off, i honestly don't know. There are all kind of options at your disposal; ignore, taking a break, etc.

People are not stupid simply because they share a different opinion than you. Every person is different and therefore everyone comes at this from a slightly different angle. Telling them "F U" or whatever that was (im too lazy to go back and look) does not make you the better man. Maybe you were getting kind of worked up or maybe you really enjoy telling people to fuck off, i honestly don't know. There are all kind of options at your disposal; ignore, taking a break, etc.

By all means, go and read my post I just made to Irvine. I am very well aware that differing opinions don't make someone stupid.

I do think ignorance is far different from stupidity.

I don't think he was being ignorant. He was being manipulative. He tried to make a logical statement without using logic. And given the subject, it was at my expense. I will call him stupid. It also offended me. Anyone who offends me I reserve the right to tell them to fuck off. That's my choice. He can't be reasoned with, so why should I bother being polite? And no, I won't just "take a break." You're not my mother, dude. And you're not a moderator. Stop telling me to take a break.

People are not stupid simply because they share a different opinion than you.

That's right, everything just an opinion now, just a feeling, and that's what's most important.

Well I FEEL like you're the last person that should be giving this lecture. So my opinion is you should just walk away from the keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Can someone explain to me the logic of electors using their votes on someone who wasn't even nominated? I'm absolutely OK with trying to shake up the college, and whatever but to vote for someone the people didn't vote for is... Unsettling?

Can someone explain to me the logic of electors using their votes on someone who wasn't even nominated? I'm absolutely OK with trying to shake up the college, and whatever but to vote for someone the people didn't vote for is... Unsettling?

If they're going to be faithless electors, it's the least damaging. Clinton is absolutely not an option they could choose on two grounds --

1. The faithless electors will be exclusively republicans. Why? That has to do with how electors are selected. They're typically selected by the party or the campaign of the winner in the state, before the election. On Election Day, you vote for the electors to represent you. So, who is itching to be a faithless elector? Those who represent a Trump delegate. All of which are going to be republicans. Why would they want to vote for Clinton? They don't want to.

2. A vote for Clinton undermines the system in far worse ways than electing a republican. It's a literal slap in the face to democracy. I'm not saying the EC is necessarily fair, but the results were that she lost. Lots of republicans rejoiced at that. For the system to turn around and spit in their face? Chaos. Absolute utter chaos.

So whose name keeps getting thrown around? John Kasich. Why? He was a candidate for president. He's a republican. He's highly qualified. He's also the last man standing who vehemently opposed Trump outwardly up until the election itself, where his campaign was ACTIVE in Ohio spending money against Trump in adverts.

It's a pipe dream, but if we are being theoretical, he's the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom