Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #301
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Europe desperately needs a banking union.
i thought that's what they were aiming for though??

can't see it working personally - the banking system is very different in different European countries - it would be a logistical nightmare...

Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #302
45:33

Local Time: 07:57 AM
Spain unemployment rate hits 27.2%. Jesus. Hard to believe more than one in four people in Spain are unemployed.

BBC News - Spain unemployment hits record high

Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #303
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Spain unemployment rate hits 27.2%. Jesus. Hard to believe more than one in four people in Spain are unemployed.

BBC News - Spain unemployment hits record high
Here more detailed for each of the autonomous regions.

Spanish are furious. Here in Catalunya, it's not exacerbated when the media say that there's a real danger of separatism. There's growing discomfort against foreigners, and, most of all, some madness for those who don't speak catalan, the first language here.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #304

How come? Are people just so frustrated that they're looking for something to take their anger out on?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:27 AM
People in these conditions often look for a scapegoat, often they are the foreigners, far-right groups/parties help fuel that.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #306
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
People in these conditions often look for a scapegoat, often they are the foreigners, far-right groups/parties help fuel that.
It's not far-right groups. Far-right (as greek's Golden Dawn) don't have much expression here. It's the anarchists, the far-left, but most of all, the separatists... Which is a big part of the population.
Plus, there's a big anger against the spanish monarchy, which is with no credibility at all, after all those heavy scandals. Most people here in Catalunya are republican. In fact, when you walk on the streets, 1 in each 3 balconies have the Catalunya flag, whether the official one, whether the unofficial separatist/republican one.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #307

Why do far-left have something against foreigners? I thought people on the left embraced multiculturalism (honest question)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #308
Blue Crack Addict

They are internationalists, not nationalists, so that's why it doesn't make sense for anarchists and communists alike to be targeting foreigners instead of the state. I was a bit confused with Aygo's post then.

Sometimes nationalism can manifest in the far left, ie. national liberation groups, which I think the Catalans may be?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #309
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Quote:
And this is probably one of the most dangerous things that can possibly happen.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
They are internationalists, not nationalists, so that's why it doesn't make sense for anarchists and communists alike to be targeting foreigners instead of the state. I was a bit confused with Aygo's post then.

Sometimes nationalism can manifest in the far left, ie. national liberation groups, which I think the Catalans may be?
There is left nationalism. It exists in several european countries, including eastern Europe. In Portugal, for instance, the old Communist Party (which has 12% in opinion polls - 8% over the last elections) is somewhat nationalist.

I understand that I left you confused. I was also when I arrived (and it still is confusing.
Basically, people don't trust in no party at all (more or less like in Portugal).
The key to understand why all these "factions" are all on the same side is to understand the feeling in Catalunya.
Catalunya wants to be an independent country. Most people in Catalunya are for an independent country.
Catalunya feels that it produces and generates richness and pay taxes which goes to the other regions... Which is not 100% true because, for instance, the money raised in some taxes stays inside Catalunya and the region has plenty autonomy in many levels.
Plus, there's the linguistical/cultural issue, because it's a bilingual region (first language is catalan, although 99% of the people speaks spanish/castilian). If 20 years ago, most things in the quotidian were in spanish, in 2013, you can find many things only in catalan, as an agressive protection of this language which, in fact, is spoken by at least 7 million people.

Connect this with the anger of the unfairness of the super-austerity, and you have people furious.
That's why far-left, far-right, anarchists and common people are all on the same side: «we want the independence».

The two big parties in Spain are the PP (Partido Popular, right-wing) and PSOE (labourist/social-democratic/Third Way).
In Catalunya, these parties, supporters of the monarchy, don't have much electoral expression - both had 17-18% in the last catalan election.
On the other hand, the usual big party in Catalunya is CiU (center/center-right/"catalanist"), which sometimes is for the monarchy, sometimes is independentist and republican.
Plus, the ERC (republican left party) gained a boost on the last elections, going for the second political force.
CiU lost its absolute majority although it won. But, together with ERC, now the catalan parliment is dominated by mostly republican and independentist parties.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #311
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Greece's youth unemployment is said to be more than 50% now.

Here's a link with a chart to the high unemployment rate among Millennials. Supposedly, its harder for a 25 year old European to get a job than one in Sub Saharan Africa.

The Global Youth Jobless Crisis: A Tragic Mess That Is Not Getting Any Better - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

I hear Australia is doing just fine with a healthy economy for the past 15 years nonstop. Part of me wants to think that's cool, while also thinking, "damn that place" (I'm only joking there, Aussies).
Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #312
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Greece's youth unemployment is said to be more than 50% now.

Here's a link with a chart to the high unemployment rate among Millennials. Supposedly, its harder for a 25 year old European to get a job than one in Sub Saharan Africa.

The Global Youth Jobless Crisis: A Tragic Mess That Is Not Getting Any Better - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

I hear Australia is doing just fine with a healthy economy for the past 15 years nonstop. Part of me wants to think that's cool, while also thinking, "damn that place" (I'm only joking there, Aussies).
What I read yesterday on a catalan newspaper is that Greek unemployment in young people reached 62%...
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:57 PM
IMF admits: we failed to realise the damage austerity would do to Greece | Business | The Guardian
Old 06-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #314

Scary. Extremely scary. News Finds New Ways to Flow as Greek State Broadcaster Is Shut
Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.2ndcouncilhouse.co.uk/blo...ion-in-greece/

Here's a good article for those who don't know too much about what's going on there, and it goes without saying, it's frightening.