trip to Africa. and you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So finally I will do it. I´ve been waiting for a decade... it is time for Africa. I will go to Tanzania, Zanzibar and Kenya.

We skipped Uganda because of political unrest there and Ebola Vrius has been around. And I will not pass Ethiopia and Mocambique which are high on my list. But I just got 4 weeks, so it will be Dar Es Salaam, Stone Town, Bagamoyo, Tanga, Lushoto (Usambara mountains), Mombasa, Nairobi and a trip to Ngorongoro Crater and Tarangire National Park.

Last time I visited Africa when I was 12 y.o. - now, 25 years later, I finally return. The situation in Kenya is bad though, the UN has been advocating for money as the greatest famine ever is just beginning, 2 million people are without water and fleeing from Somalia. We will not visit the refugee camps in northern Kenya... it´s a bit dangerous when your not an aid worker but a tourist, and I don´t know if I would be a great help there...

and where are you going to this summer, FYM?

Two weeks in Morocco in August around a friends wedding in Essouraria, but spending time in Fez and Marrakesh as well. Meeting up with friends from home for ten days in Thailand in November. *Maybe* forced to duck back home to Sydney in between due to visa requirements, but if my good lawyer can avoid that, either Spain (Basque) or Italy (Sicily) for eating heaps, basically.

Travel :up:

Some mild U2 traveling, including New Brunswick and driving up from Boston through Maine, and that's part of the country I've never seen before ... which is great, even just through the car window, as it's a whirlwind trip.

And it's a whirlwind trip because the rest of my vacation time is reserved for my trip to Ireland in September - my first overseas trip. :)

San Francisco, The Bahamas and New York City, throughout the course of the year. The first is the only new place for me.

I'll probably squeeze another 2 or 3 trips to Orlando as well, but that's not really vacation. Just a weekend getaway.

Ah, I am so jealous! Like you, I waited a long time before I got to go to Africa last year and spend an amazing summer there. I went to South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Angola and Senegal. It was the trip of a lifetime. Would very much like to get to East Africa one day.

I did a week in the Cayman Islands this winter. Heading out to British Columbia for a couple of weeks in a week (going to Victoria, Tofino, Salt Spring Island, Whistler, Vancouver and some hiking around Pemberton).

Also going down to Miami for a long weekend in September and looking to do another quick trip of maybe 4-5 days either in New Orleans or in California later in the fall.

I've been to Tanzania but not Zanzibar and only in Dar to change flights. Some day I will go back to Zanzibar. I have been to Lushoto, it was very cool, waaaaaaaaaaaay up in the mountains! Nice moderate climate (I was there in January which is their summer). Someone who knew our professor invited us to his hotel and we watched the sunset from the top of the mountain, it was so neat, the pictures don't do it justice. When we went to Hawaii for the U2 concert and did the bus tour the landscape reminded me of the trip up to Lushoto. I've also been to the crater, I love animals so that was obviously a highlight for me.

My summer has been busy adjusting to our new house and with nonstop dog events. We've done several competitions, two seminars, we train all day every Sunday anyway, and we've been invited all over for training and other events. Next week we are going to the Smokey mountains for a week with Phil's family. Then in mid August I have my annual two weeks in Lake County, MI with my parents. We also had two U2 concerts and a trip to Chicago for a Cubs game. A good friend got married, I did the photography and am still working hard on her pictures.

My dream vacations are New Zealand or a long trip around the entire Mediterranean coast (especially southern France, Croatia, and northern Africa).

We were heading to Australia in August or September, but we ended up postponing the trip until next year. Looks like we're left with a couple of U2 road trips to St. Louis and Minneapolis and a trip to Florida in November.

wow great, enojoy your trip hiphop!

I will stay in Paris all summer. Everyone at work is leaving for vacation right now. The whole august there will be only two people in our distribution dept. It won't be busy, since the factory is closed...so I guess will go later to work and leave earlier...and then just enjoy the relaxed atmosphere in Paris, going for picnics etc. I only planned to take one day off to go for a long weekend to Nice in the South of France.

Damn. I'm jealous.

I went to the Bahamas last month, Chicago for the U2 show last week, and will be going to Orlando for a week next week, but that's it for me.

Portland, Oregon in December and that's the year.

There's loads of Europe I haven't yet seen/really want to see (more Eastern Europe, more Nordic), and surrounds (Russia, Iceland), but there are two trips I really, really, really want to do - one I want to do sometime around Feb/Mar/Apr next year, which is a few weeks running around the Middle East. These days it's a tough one to plan too far ahead, and this time last year I was actually looking at doing it in February *this* year (Jordan/Syria/Lebanon/Iran/Israel), glad I didn't as I would have ended up just having to can at least half of it, and probably would have felt the need to can it all. And still you never know, I think in the end I'll just be booking a return flight to Amman and having to leave the rest of the planning till pretty much the last minute.

The other I hope will be able happen whenever I leave the UK for good, which will be a seriously long (2-3 month) US/Canadian road trip, basically. I've only been to NYC (a few times) and LA/San Fran a few times + the drive in between the two (amazing) with (of course) a fairly messy side trip into Vegas. I really want to pretty much just criss cross the whole thing without any real plan - if this place is shit, move on, if that place is great, hang around - with ducking up into Canada at points.

A lot more in Asia as well, but that's close/easy/cheap from Australia so that can all wait.

This summer? This summer is all U2 travel. Canada :rockon:

But, I've got the Big Island of Hawaii coming up in December, and next summer we'll return to Mongolia for at least 2 weeks.

Going to Longchamps for the Prix de l'Arc, one of the highlights of the European glitterati's social calendar. Hoping to gatecrash a few high society parties, but if that doesn't work out will enjoy a few days' racing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom