Tranny Neanderthals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The thought that Neanderthals and humans lived at the same time and might occasionally have seen eachother on the horizon, blows my mind. I wonder what part the bodypaint discovery has in the discussion about the amount of bodyhair on Neanderthals

There are theories that Human's may have actually hunted Neanderthals. Possibly to extinction. I dont know how much evidence exists, but there have been examinations of the injured bones of Neanderthals that show signs of being inflicted by thrown spears. The current understanding is that Neanderthal's werent advanced enough to use throwing spears.

I found this interesting:

"It's very difficult to dislodge the brutish image from popular thinking," Professor Stringer told BBC News. "When football fans behave badly, or politicians advocate reactionary views, they are invariably called 'Neanderthal', and I can't see the tabloids changing their headlines any time soon."

The related articles on the right-hand side are very interesting as well. The one is about their genome, and the other talks about some theories regarding their extinction. The latter one discusses that their extinction was probably caused by different reasons in different areas, one being climate, another being modern humans, or maybe even reasons apart from that. So there was most probably not that one factor causing their extinction.

The best I've ever read on the subject suggests that the Neanderthals (after all just the name of a place in Europe famous for containing troves of their bones) were very, very close to us. Cousins rather than direct ancestors, but nonetheless very close. The main apparent difference would have been around the makeup of the jaw and brow, the tendency to a heavier, more powerful build. But as one author put it, a Neanderthal man or woman walking down the street might attract a second look but would not scare the horses.

Mental cognition might have been another difference, as far as anyone can know for sure. A more singular, compartmentalised way of approaching tasks and the world, vs our rather freeform linking of concepts from completely unrelated spheres of our mind.

Other than that, who knows. I'm prepared to believe they did a lot that their human contemporaries also did. Although the tranny angle seems a bit tabloid to me. 'Makeup container' to me sounds like another name for 'body paint container'. Which could have ceremonial uses.

Although the tranny angle seems a bit tabloid to me. 'Makeup container' to me sounds like another name for 'body paint container'. Which could have ceremonial uses.

The Tranny bit was just a little literary flourish on my part. I dont believe the article suggested that in any way

There are theories that Human's may have actually hunted Neanderthals. Possibly to extinction. I dont know how much evidence exists, but there have been examinations of the injured bones of Neanderthals that show signs of being inflicted by thrown spears. The current understanding is that Neanderthal's werent advanced enough to use throwing spears.

Never heard of humans hunting Neanderthals. Neanderthals and humans might have lived together, but was it in the same region?
The injuries on the Neanderthal bones could be from warfare amongst their own species. They did have had great techniques to work flint in order to make tools and weapons.

I've found a nice article about the greatest misconceptions about Neanderthals :wink: :

Top 10 Misconceptions About Neanderthals - Listverse

Neanderthals were genetically 99.5 to 99.9 identic to human beings. They even were able to talk, though it is unknown how well. One genome which is linked to speech and separates us from chimpanzees is found to be identical with Neanderthals. But since there is more than just that one gene responsible for the ability to form language, it cannot be said for certain if they were able to communicate as well as we can.

According to Bill Bryson's book A short history of nearly everything, they would beat us in the athletics department of the Olympics. I once had a picture where the author put a Neanderthal in the New York subway, with modern clothing. It would indeed be hard to tell them apart.

Also, Neanderthals seemed to have preferred living in woods whereas modern humans used to live in open grasslands. But in some regions the existence of Neanderthals and homo sapiens is overlapping, suggesting some form of contact.

The related articles on the right-hand side are very interesting as well. The one is about their genome, and the other talks about some theories regarding their extinction. The latter one discusses that their extinction was probably caused by different reasons in different areas, one being climate, another being modern humans, or maybe even reasons apart from that. So there was most probably not that one factor causing their extinction.

Oh come on, don't be so damned pc about it. We all know damned well the reason Neanderthals became extinct: they allowed the gays to marry. :tsk:

:wink:

Never heard of humans hunting Neanderthals. Neanderthals and humans might have lived together, but was it in the same region?
The injuries on the Neanderthal bones could be from warfare amongst their own species. They did have had great techniques to work flint in order to make tools and weapons.

Apparently they did. I'm just about to head out for a few hours, but I will look for the article when I get back. The wounds on the bone were consistent with a thrown spear. The article stated that Neanderthal's didnt have that sort of technology and only used their spears for thrusting

Well, there's still lots of things we don't know. The other articles didn't do much to suggest that Neanderthals were able to build spears, yet didn't know how to throw them.

Well, there's still lots of things we don't know. The other articles didn't do much to suggest that Neanderthals were able to build spears, yet didn't know how to throw them.

Dont spear the messenger, dude. I'm just telling you what I read. It was fairly recent research. And I dont think its a matter of knowing how to throw them, but rather, knowing how to build them as to make them effective when thrown

Dont spear the messenger, dude. I'm just telling you what I read. It was fairly recent research. And I dont think its a matter of knowing how to throw them, but rather, knowing how to build them as to make them effective when thrown

Oh, I'm sorry you took it that way, wasn't meant as an attack at all. :reject:

I was just playing around :) I dont take my personal Neanderthal research all that seriously. I suppose my post could've used winky face or something

I was re-reading my post and seriously wondered if I always unintentionally come across like that in English.
But I'm German, we don't get humour, so it's okay. :wink: (oops, cross-posting not allowed. I'm German, so a rules-nazi :reject: )

Back
Top Bottom