Toyota - sayanora ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will be shopping for a car this year, and this really makes me think twice about Toyota.

I haven't heard the actual number of incidents/accidents/deaths associated with this defect, but it seems like it's been handled very poorly.

I love my 2 Hondas: a 2002 CR-V, a 2008 Civic Hybrid. The only recall on my old Pilot (now returned off lease) was the tire fill stem caps!

My family owns three recalled Camries, one of which we purchased two weeks ago. :cute:

i love my 2 Chevy's, no problems here.

Maybe GM can absorb some of Toyota's lost sales....either way Toyota's "Quality" mantle is sure taking a big hit.

no offense, but i would never admit to that. Easily the worst automotive design in the last 30 years.

no offense, but i don't care. they're a great ride and you save an amazing amount on gas.

i also don't care that much about cars, period. nice cars are nice, i suppose, but getting excited of them seems pointless. all they do is pollute and make people fat(ter).

i love toyota and nissan. both will pretty much take everything you throw at them and keep on going.

my parents daihatsu, on the other hand, is a scary piece of shit. i wouldn't want to be in it in a minor accident.

no offense, but i don't care. they're a great ride and you save an amazing amount on gas.

i also don't care that much about cars, period. nice cars are nice, i suppose, but getting excited of them seems pointless. all they do is pollute and make people fat(ter).

Actually i was commenting more on the looks of the Prius rather than the functionality of it.

My little Cobalt costs half as much as a Prius and still gets 37mpg, looks great, and it is easily one of the most reliable cars i have ever driven.

All cars pollute to some degree, even Hybrids are manufactured somewhere in a factory that pollutes.

Just something to think about:

Environmental Costs of Buying a Toyota Prius: Weighing the Harms and Benefits of Hybrid Vehicles

Environmental Costs of a Prius
When analyzing the environmental costs of a car, the energy to plan, build, and transport the car must be taken into account, not just the car's miles per gallon figures. The Prius has two engines, gas and electric. The electric engine is made from nickel mined and smelted in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. From Ontario, the nickel is transported to Wales, UK to be refined, then shipped to China where it is made into nickel foam, and finally to Toyota's plant in Japan where the nickel is made into a hybrid battery.

James L. Martin, president of the senior advocacy group called the 60 Plus Organization, claims in his article "The Hidden Cost of Driving a Prius" the hybrid battery travels over 10,000 miles from start to finish, which entails major fuel costs and pollution from transportation.

Read more at Suite101: Environmental Costs of Buying a Toyota Prius: Weighing the Harms and Benefits of Hybrid Vehicles Environmental Costs of Buying a Toyota Prius: Weighing the Harms and Benefits of Hybrid Vehicles

The production chain from start to finish usually is not taken into account. Producers of course don't tell you, and many consumers are not aware such a thing exists, or at least one could come to that conclusion.
While being an argument against how Toyota manufactures and markets its Prius car (though such a production process is but uncommon), I support the R&D into such kinds of engines.

But damn, why must they make such cars so awfully boring and ugly? :(

But damn, why must they make such cars so awfully boring and ugly? :(

potential new company slogan:

image001-1.jpg

Interesting irony coming upon this thread, as I sit here in the lounge of my Toyota dealer while my '09 Corolla is being serviced. I asked them about the recall--they say there's nothing they can do now--we'll get a letter in the mail, they say. My guess is that means they still haven't been told by corporate how to fix the defect.

I don't know. . .I'm not really that worried for some reason.

But I think Toyota should be worried. This is making their company look really bad. (Not bad enough for me to buy the Big 3. . .but bad enough to go with a Honda next time around.)

Interesting irony coming upon this thread, as I sit here in the lounge of my Toyota dealer while my '09 Corolla is being serviced. I asked them about the recall--they say there's nothing they can do now--we'll get a letter in the mail, they say. My guess is that means they still haven't been told by corporate how to fix the defect.

But I think Toyota should be worried. This is making their company look really bad. (Not bad enough for me to buy the Big 3. . .but bad enough to go with a Honda next time around.)

I think it is pretty ironic that the supposed benchmark for quality in the auto industry has obviously known about this problem for a few years in a couple of their models, and hasn't been able to find a solution for it or address it across their product line.

As for being worried, well i suppose you are correct because the last thing someone should do if operating an out-of-control vehicle is panic. If the vehicle's accelerator is stuck can the driver not put the car in "Neutral" and coast to a stop while applying the brakes, and/or kill the engine by removing the key? That would be my first reaction, i would think.

If the dealership turns you away and you have one of the vehicles covered in the recall, why would they want you to wait for something to come in the mail? I would get a second opinion from another dealer or maybe even talk to an attorney. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some type of class action suit already in the works at this point...

Anyway good luck with your situation, and please do stay safe out there.

I really think you should be prepared for an emergency.

The way I understand it,
the engine could get stuck with the gas on and just keep speeding up and your brakes will not stop your car.

The thing to do is remain calm and get your car out of gear into neutral.

That means from D (drive) into N (neutral) your engine will be revving up and sound loud. But once you get it out of gear you should be able to coast to the side of the road and brake and stop and then turn your engine off and put your parking brake on.

You and your wife and who ever else might drive the car should discuss this and be ready to implement it in an emergency.

You have your young family to think about and keep safe.

1) It's Sayonara. :tongue:
2) Toyota isn't the only company involved in the recall. Aren't Pontiac Vibes being recalled for the same defect?
3) Toyota has been in our family's top choices for decades. It's too bad that they knew about this for years and said nothing until now.
4) My friend was told that the recall was only being enforced in cold (as in temperature) states...which is bizarre, because I heard on the news that the recall could extend to Europe.
5) Anyone hear about that bmw billboard in my town? It has a mannequin sitting atop of it, people started calling in thinking that it was a suicidal dude. I don't know why I felt like posting that...

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom