Toyota - sayanora ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh it is, i just like how they made it seem like it was just a select national thing, when it's clearly not. besides, a defective part is a defective part. even if i had one of these cars and lived in florida, i'd want a replacement.

The extension to Europe and China came a few weeks later, so that might be the reason the letter your friend got made it sound it was only a US thing.

Ford had to recall cars in China for the same defect. The supplier for these pedals has no news whatsoever on his website.

it used to be, but now cold™ is a trademark™ of the united states.

We add a fucking beforehand and circumvent the trademark. :p

Toyotas and Lexus' have consistently been one of the highest rated cars by both the auto industry rating services and the public.

They have also retained a better than average resale value.

This situation pretty much came out of nowhere.

The L A Times has been out in front of this for several months now.

There have been 19? deaths that can be attributed to these speed surges.

If we had some good old GOP liability tort reform where Toyota could cap the death payout at 1 million or even 5 million dollars per death and no punitive damages there would be no recalls or even tracking of these random accidents.

Apart from this incident, Toyota's are pretty good cars. My brother-in-law's family have been driving Toyota's for years without problems. Big thumbs up for successfully marketing the first sensible hybrid. :up:

Doubt cast on Toyota's decision to blame sudden acceleration on gas pedal defect - latimes.com

Toyota last fall blamed the episodes on floor mats that entrapped the gas pedals, leading to a massive recall. Then last week Toyota said sticking gas pedals were also causing sudden acceleration by not springing back into idle position, triggering another recall.

On Tuesday, the automaker stopped sales and production of eight models until it could remedy the problem.

Independent auto safety experts have been skeptical of Toyota's explanations, saying floor mats and sticky gas pedals can't fully explain the large number of complaints that have been mounting for the last decade, covering some of the most popular models in the company's lineup, including the Camry.

That argument was given more weight Friday when the manufacturer of the suspect pedals insisted its products had been unfairly blamed.

CTS Corp. of Elkhart, Ind., said in a statement that it had "deep concern that there is widespread confusion and incorrect information" about its products linked to the sudden-acceleration issue.

"The problem of sudden unintended acceleration has been reported to have existed in some Lexus vehicles and Toyota vehicles going back to 1999, when CTS did not even make this product for any customer," the company said.

Toyota began using CTS-made pedals in the 2005 model year.

The automaker also uses pedals supplied by Denso Corp., a Japanese company with North American headquarters in suburban Detroit, but has said those do not appear to be defective.

However, the Times review of federal safety records shows several instances of complaints of stuck pedals on vehicles built in Japan, which Toyota has said are not subject to the recall. For example, one complaint, filed two years ago, told of a 2007 Japanese-built Camry in Maryland with a pedal that "stuck to the floor."

A wide group of national automotive experts say there is strong evidence that a hidden electronic problem must account for at least some, if not most, of the Toyota sudden-acceleration events.

The 19 sudden-acceleration deaths involving Toyota vehicles are more than those that have occurred in vehicles from all other automakers combined, according to figures provided to The Times by NHTSA.

Is there a ghost in the machine?

The Times has previously reported that consumer complaints of unintended acceleration surged in the years after the automaker introduced electronic throttles, by fivefold in some cases.

The electronic throttle system uses sensors, microprocessors and electric motors, rather than a traditional link such as a steel cable, to connect the driver's foot to the engine.

In recent interviews, two former NHTSA administrators, Ricardo Martinez and Joan Claybrook, have said they believe that some kind of electronic glitch may be causing the Toyota problems.
Similar conclusions are being drawn by independent automotive safety experts, forensic mechanics and automotive electronics researchers, as well as many consumers.

Read in another article as well that there is suspicion of some electronic defect causing that. They also wrote that it only occurs after the gas pedal has been pushed through fully.

Golf GTI Turbo. Yourself?

I have a 9-year-old Honda Civic Si...and frankly I kind of want to hang on to it for another 3-4 years because it's been a great car and also because nobody expects a corporate lawyer to drive one.

I have a '95 Saturn that I'm planning on running into the ground. It's got 130,000 miles on it, and I expect it to last at least another two years. Runs great, never had any problem with it beyond the usual matinenance repairs. (knock on wood :uhoh: )

It's a good little car. Sorry to see Saturn is going away, because I would have bought another one in a heartbeat.

When I started this thread
I thought this thing had the potential to blow up big

this thing is morphing all over the place

some of it is alarmist, but it does not matter.

Perception is reality. Toyota will not remain number one.

Before this is over, they will take abig hit. We are talking hundreds of millions, perhaps billions of dollars.

There will be congressional hearings. A stiga is upon Toyota.

"If you have one of the affected Toyota models, you should not drive the car until it has been checked out," Nick Freeman, a Manchester-based traffic lawyer who has made his name defending several famous footballers in speeding cases, said.

"The recall puts you on notice that there could be a fault, which means that you assume responsibility. You could be held criminally and civilly responsible for an accident and, in the case of a fatal accident, you could be charged with death by dangerous driving. If you have one of these cars, don't drive it."

Lawyers advise Toyota drivers of legal danger of driving after product recall | Business | The Guardian

A lot of talk and focus recently on the wireless throttle systems getting a glitch and causing the cars to speed up out of control.

I think what will save Toyota's reputation is that there haven't been spectacular fatal accidents so far. (Like the Ford Explorer/Bridgestone thing) Well, maybe that one with the State Trooper?

I don't know that actual fatality number so far, but I think that that is indicative that it isn't very high. If there were an unusually high number of deaths, the media would have more pics of horrific crash scenes.

I think the discussion about the increase in software and "drive by wire" use in cars is good. I trust microprocessors and such, but a mechanical linkage feels safer.

Are cell phones in the car still safe?

If I'm correct, there have been nine fatalities where Toyota's were involved and this is at least assumed to be the reason.

I have a 9-year-old Honda Civic Si...and frankly I kind of want to hang on to it for another 3-4 years because it's been a great car and also because nobody expects a corporate lawyer to drive one.

I drive a 1999 Honda Accord. I have had it since Nov 1999 and I have a 134,000 miles on it . I do not want to buy a new car because it has and is running well. I think I will hold off one more year before buying a new car.

I think the discussion about the increase in software and "drive by wire" use in cars is good. I trust microprocessors and such, but a mechanical linkage feels safer.

maybe there at least needs to be a similar amount of redundancy in drive by wire as there is fly by wire - which isn't really possible to the best of my knowledge, but you'd assume that it would have been tested to within an inch of it's life before being released on the public.

i just saw an item on cbs news with some stupid woman driving her prius around knowing her car has physical problems with the brakes, saying they don't work properly.

that kind of disregard for other people should be illegal.

Back
Top Bottom