Too fat to pass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! It's quite ridiculous for that to be a policy, but I agree to an extent.

We go to college to be productive citizens....why can't we go to college to be healthy, productive citizens? A healthy, lifestyle would lead to lower health care costs for sure. It could help curb obese people to get off the motorized shopping carts, scooters, and handicap spots. What's wrong with challenging a person's exercise habits when you challenge them in so much else?

Plus, it could show that obesity is not a disease, just a consequence of somebody's lifestyle. I mean...how many fat people are in Somalia?

We go to college to be productive citizens....why can't we go to college to be healthy, productive citizens?

While looking at the website, I saw some pictures. Certainly some of those professors seem to be at least overweight, if not obese, only their BMI would truly tell. While I have no sympathy for a whiny student who has no case here, I think if the university were trying to make a point to their students to be "healthy productive citizens", they should also make a point to their faculty. This policy seems to only affect students.

While looking at the website, I saw some pictures. Certainly some of those professors seem to be at least overweight, if not obese. While I have no sympathy for a whiny student who has no case here, I think if the university were trying to make a point to their students to be "healthy productive citizens", they should also make a point to their faculty.

Oh, yes, definitely. That reminds me of my fat teacher in the 7th grade who taught nutrition.

Somehow it's Obama's fault that we have a "nation of fatties". It has to be.

No, it's not President Obama fault.

One of the reasons, I think, we have this rise in obesity is high fructose corn syrup. Food companies started using it to sweetened their products in the late 70s. Why? Because it's a whole lot cheaper than pure cane sugar.

I think we have a rise in obesity because people seem content to spend more effort justifying their unhealthy lifestyles than just getting healthy! Also everything seems so damned politically correct. Someone asked me why I was working out more and trying to lose more weight. I have a very good reason - I have chronic joint problems in my right foot and the *only* thing that ever helps is losing weight (I've tried drugs, wearing a cast from my toes to my knee for months....) but then the person turns around and says I'm too skinny already and must have low self-esteem. As if I can't possibly lose weight a healthy way without spiraling out of control. God forbid I care about my weight and how it effects my overall health. Now women can't even be healthy and NORMAL sized without people saying "you must have an eating disorder" when we are working out and eating healthy. :crack:

We go to college to be productive citizens....why can't we go to college to be healthy, productive citizens? A healthy, lifestyle would lead to lower health care costs for sure. It could help curb obese people to get off the motorized shopping carts, scooters, and handicap spots. What's wrong with challenging a person's exercise habits when you challenge them in so much else?

Plus, it could show that obesity is not a disease, just a consequence of somebody's lifestyle. I mean...how many fat people are in Somalia?

Lots of fat Somalian people in London, whether they were fat before they arrived is another question.

We should have a choice to be fatties or not.
The new movement is trying to limit choice, let alone making us drive crap cars and squashing good ones.

<>

Interesting that you do not let this freedom of choice shape all your policies... hypocricy?

BMI was meant to calculate obesity in WHOLE POPULATIONS,

as a whole population the U S and many individual states have obesity problems. it is trending the wrong way

an 8 year old that weighs 150 pounds has a problem

an 18 year old at 150 pounds probably would not

likewise a 4 foot tall person at 200 pounds has more of a problem than a 6 foot tall person at 200 pounds.

A BMI of 30 is a problem. Yes, you can find exceptions.

large bones, decent muscle mass will weigh more
but a spare tire around your gut is not healthy.

It seems like some people just want to 'blow up' and do away with the BMI scale.

There should be a tool, gauge that people can use to monitor their weight, through out their life and growing patterns (height).

If not BMI, than what would you replace it with?

are you 5'8" and 200 pounds?

body-mass-index-chart.gif

I've been eating horribly (hi, college) and putting on pounds as a consequence, and I'm still underweight on that chart.

There should be a tool, gauge that people can use to monitor their weight, through out their life and growing patterns (height).

If not BMI, than what would you replace it with?

I use BMI loosely to keep on track on my own, but if I want to know if I'm "healthy" I get a blood draw and I want to know blood pressure, glucose, HDL, LDL, etc.

Before I started actively trying to lose weight and clean up my lifestyle, my BMI was already in the normal/healthy range (higher end). After I'd lost about 20lbs, I got my blood tested and all of those factors I listed were in the best/optimal range. The guy who analyzed my results was the one who helped me originally put together a work out plan and diet. He said it would have been really interesting to see those stats before when I was unhealthy and bet the numbers had changed drastically, even though my BMI was technically "healthy" at that point.

I am in the normal weight range, BMI 24, which is great! Considering, I am in my early fifties and going through menopause. Women tend to gain weight, sometimes lots of it, beginning at age forty. I have even lost eight pounds. Though, the eight pounds didn't make me overweight. It does help me to control my blood sugar. I have Pre-Type Two Diabetes, due to heredity factors and diabetes during pregnancy at age twenty seven. Where as, my blood sugar soared to a dangerous level and I was hospitalized. So far, I don't have to take medication or insulin shots to keep my blood sugar in check. My blood pressure is excellent and I only have one high level in cholesterol, due to diabetes and I take medication for this. My good cholesterol is fantastic!

According to my doctor, obesity wouldn't have caused diabetes in my case. But, it certainly would make an incurable, at this point, disease much, much worse. I am very aware of diet and exercise. Even though, I can't hike for two hours, the large hills at my favorite state park. Like I use too. Because of "Athlete's Knee" problems. I do lots of urban walking. And I even enjoy a piece of chocolate cake, now and then.

I think we have a rise in obesity because people seem content to spend more effort justifying their unhealthy lifestyles than just getting healthy! Also everything seems so damned politically correct. Someone asked me why I was working out more and trying to lose more weight. I have a very good reason - I have chronic joint problems in my right foot and the *only* thing that ever helps is losing weight (I've tried drugs, wearing a cast from my toes to my knee for months....) but then the person turns around and says I'm too skinny already and must have low self-esteem. As if I can't possibly lose weight a healthy way without spiraling out of control. God forbid I care about my weight and how it effects my overall health. Now women can't even be healthy and NORMAL sized without people saying "you must have an eating disorder" when we are working out and eating healthy. :crack:

Ignore those idiots who knock you. You and your doctor know the best course of action. For keeping you healthy.

According to my doctor, obesity wouldn't have caused diabetes in my case.

My mom was diagnosed with Type-2 a year and a half ago, and she was told that under the current, in vogue anti-obesity climate, that many people beat themselves up for causing the disease, when in fact most if it is due to heredity, that's the greatest risk factor.

according to that BMI chart, I'm overweight.

No way. That's insane. You are so not.

Coming from a person who is old enough to be, for most of you here, a parent. I have to say that obesity, especially with young people is becoming a serious problem. I'm not talking about, what my generation referred to as "baby fat." Ten to fifteen pounds heavier than your friends. But, Morbid Obesity. Fifty pounds or more, than what would be healthy for that person.

I think a lot of this is due to lifestyle and diet. When, I was a kid...yes I already warned everyone that I am old enough to be your mom. We played outside. We did not have X Box or the internet. Plus, most of us ate home cooked food. There was no where near, the amount of fast food that there is today. Foods were not overly processed. You ate vegetables, and lean meats, which where baked, instead of battered and deep fried, in God knows. What ever un-healthy oils they use. Type Two Diabetes and High Blood Pressure was unheard of with children. These are middle age diseases.

Sure, we ate pizza and had a coke. But, this was a treat. It was not part of our everyday diet. We drank milk and lots of water, ate an apple, and had soup for lunch. Sadly, I think my generation is going to be the first, to out live our kids.

Thanks. :) It sure did a number on my securities, though!!

In August, I volunteered to be a "patient" for the students taking their clinical entrance exam. Lucky me, I got to be in the BMI test room. I had 16 people tell me that day that I was overweight.

Craziness. That's why I don't put much stock into BMI.

I've been all over the board. I look and feel best when, according to the BMI charts, I'm at the high end of normal, low end of overweight. I can't explain it, I just do. I've been at the mid to low end of normal, and have been repeatedly asked if I have an eating disorder (I didn't). Right now I'm way higher than I'd like to be :uhoh: due to stress eating and back problems that make exercise painful, but I'm going to get to work on that in the new year, when things should be calming down for me. :up:

Back
Top Bottom