Too fat to fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well

6a00d8341c5e0053ef0128760ff960970c-800wi

Is this the guy you're all talking about? He's sitting on the armrest, so maybe a wedgy is the ideal of travelling comfortably?

I found both pictures I posted doing searches related to this topic.

Airline seats are 17 inches wide, some are 18 inches

Airline Seat Sizes

A folding chair is 18.25 inches
there is no shaming in posting a picture on a person sitting in a stadard size folding chair.

A person is the size they are. Are we supposed to pretend like they don't exist?

It's as bad as being stuck behind a screaming toddler (my pet peeve #1).

We're flying back to Saipan (a 26 hour trip) for a visit in April with my then-19-month old son. Honestly, I'm terrified. When we left Saipan he couldn't walk yet. Now he runs! (And yes he does scream on occasion).

Southwest actions regarding Smith seem unreasonable to me. I'd be interested in hearing some verification of his version of events from someone else though.

We're flying back to Saipan (a 26 hour trip) for a visit in April with my then-19-month old son. Honestly, I'm terrified. When we left Saipan he couldn't walk yet. Now he runs! (And yes he does scream on occasion).

On my way to Hawaii last year there was a toddler that I swear screamed all the way through 6 time zones. I won't even go into detail about the sorts of thoughts that passed through my head. :lol:

On my way to Hawaii last year there was a toddler that I swear screamed all the way through 6 time zones. I won't even go into detail about the sorts of thoughts that passed through my head. :lol:

Well, we will be flying through Hawaii. . . That to me is better than the 13 hour flight from Detroit to Tokyo though. Gosh, I really hope he doesn't scream the entire time. I don't think he will. He's not a long-haul screamer generally. Just short bursts. Usually when he wants to get down and run around and we won't let him. . .

Oh boy.

:reject:

I fly every Christmas season

there are always families with kids on the plane

of course toddlers are going to cry when the air pressure hits their ears

my attitude is we were all kids once, sometimes kids have to travel, what can be done,

drug em :shrug:

I found a Contract of Carriage from a major airline
they can throw a stinky person off of the plane, too.

"PERSONS WHO HAVE A MALODOROUS CONDITION (OTHER THAN INDIVIDUALS QUALIFYING AS DISABLED)."

Can you give him some Benadryl to knock him out? That's the nice thing about dogs, I can just give them something to take the edge off or knock them out if they won't settle while we travel.

i've sat in front of two three year olds (maybe a little bit older) on a 14 hour flight and they never made a noise. i've also sat across from some absolute little shits on a three hour flight....and that was the connecting flight right after the flight with the great kids. i had my faith in parenting built up and knocked down so quickly.

it's the luck of draw. some parents know how to control their children, some don't even try. some children can handle flight and some can't. just like catching a bus, you deal with who you deal with. if you don't like it, call net jets.

i've sat in front of two three year olds (maybe a little bit older) on a 14 hour flight and they never made a noise. i've also sat across from some absolute little shits on a three hour flight....and that was the connecting flight right after the flight with the great kids. i had my faith in parenting built up and knocked down so quickly.

it's the luck of draw. some parents know how to control their children, some don't even try. some children can handle flight and some can't. just like catching a bus, you deal with who you deal with. if you don't like it, call net jets.

:up:

You're on public transportation, you have to practice a little tolerance.

Can you give him some Benadryl to knock him out?

I know some parents do that, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him medication he didn't really need.

Parenting is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought it was when I was in the armchair. I'm not sure how much even the best parent can do about a kid whose ears are hurting and has been cramped in a seat for hours. It's not the same as a kid throwing himself on the floor in the store because he can't have the toy he wants. It really does come down to the kid and what they can/can't handle. My son has flown a lot in his short life--Transpacific three times (this will be his fourth), Australia, Japan, San Francisco, Portland, Oregon. And he's always been great. The problem is that he keeps changing. His ability to handle air travel well in the past may not have much bearing on how he does now.

Parenting is turning out to be a lot harder than I thought it was when I was in the armchair. I'm not sure how much even the best parent can do about a kid whose ears are hurting and has been cramped in a seat for hours. It's not the same as a kid throwing himself on the floor in the store because he can't have the toy he wants. It really does come down to the kid and what they can/can't handle. My son has flown a lot in his short life--Transpacific three times (this will be his fourth), Australia, Japan, San Francisco, Portland, Oregon. And he's always been great. The problem is that he keeps changing. His ability to handle air travel well in the past may not have much bearing on how he does now.

i feel bad that i deleted my line about how different children can handle flight completely differently. i also ought to have specified that crying and so-forth doesn't upset me in the slightest, you get that. really my problems with any children on planes come because of parents who are either obnoxious or don't try to stop their children from being so. but they'd be jerks on the ground or in the air. that's really what i was getting at in my post.

frankly, kids flying is fine with me. it's adults that suck at it.

Changed your mind? I did see the original. Nice edit. :)

Were you on this plane?

The pilot returned to the gate and the passenger and her bags were removed by the RCMP.

Romney threatened on flight out of Vancouver

Jane Taber

Republican politician Mitt Romney was physically threatened by a violent passenger on an Air Canada flight leaving Vancouver this morning.

Mr. Romney, who has been in Vancouver since Friday for the Olympic Winter Games, did not respond to the attack. Instead, he allowed the airline crew to deal with the incident, according to his spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom.

Mr. Romney, 62, and his wife, Ann, were sitting in Row 15 of the economy section of the Embrarer 190 airplane, waiting for the plane to take off when the incident happened.

The woman sitting in front of Mr. Romney’s wife dropped her seat back and when Mr. Romney asked her to move it upright for takeoff, the woman became “physically violent.” Another report said that the woman tried to strike Mr. Romney.

“Gov. Romney did not retaliate,” said Mr. Fehrnstrom.

Mr. Romney was not injured. The pilot returned to the gate and the passenger and her bags were removed by the RCMP.

Were you on this plane?

The pilot returned to the gate and the passenger and her bags were removed by the RCMP.
deep, you need to cut it out with these comments. call it whatever you want, but you are trolling. plain and simple. these inflammatory comments solely designed to stir the pot are not allowed. they're not. you're not playing devil's advocate. stop doing this as it is against the rules.

frankly, kids flying is fine with me. it's adults that suck at it.

my kids fly better than me. and, as you know too well, we have to fly for like, days, to get anywhere interesting. i had, no word of a lie, 6 people approach me to say my daughters flew well when we went to the uk. me, on the other hand, i wanted to cry and have a tantrum in the aisle because i was so. goddamn. bored, and suffering from some kind of claustrophobia. and the r e l e n t l e s s drone of the engine was close to sending me over the edge.

:crack:

One of the last flights I was on was next to a kid with what was presumably her teenage mother and not-old granny. The kid touched my brand new Tony Martin book with greasy twistie hands, but that was hardly her fault. The two women were drinking Bundaberg rum and coke mixers, on a 70 minute flight, at midday, with a two-three year old. They were perfectly friendly passengers, though I couldn't blame the kid for anything.

More on topic, Cori has posted just about everything I wanted to write, but don't have the patience and eloquence to do so. There is the obvious point that the morbidly obese should never get to the point where they are, but it's not like someone needs to immediately shed 100 lbs just to get on a flight to visit family. Overweight prejudice is so rooted in comedy and culture that it's spilled over into society and really gotten beyond a joke.

Speaking of toddlers on planes - I flew to Florida with my then 11 month old daughter to visit family. At that age you don't have to buy them a seat, they're still small enough to be on your lap. At check-in, hubby and I were assured there was enough room on the flight to have the full row of three to ourselves which would make it easier to have the extra room.

When we were seated on the plane, it turned out we were sharing our aisle seat with a mid-50s-ish man who, turned out, was sitting separately from his wife. My daughter is always very calm and easy-going and she was standing on my lap cooing at him pre-take-off. A few minutes later while I was talking to hubby on my other side, the gentleman calmly and politely asked me if I had any napkins in my diaper bag. Turned out she threw up on his lap.

As mortified and apologetic as I was, I was also pregnant and prone to inappropriate reactions. I got the giggles and couldn't control myself...to the point of tears. Thing was, she NEVER threw up - not an exaggeration. Not even as a baby, never even spit up. So I figured that was her way of getting him out of her seat and in the hormonally inappropriate moment it struck me as hilarious.

Thankfully he was wearing those pants with teflon in them and it wasn't stinky - easy to clean up. Flight attendant moved him and we bought he and his wife several rounds of alcohol after he refused to take money for cleaning. He said he had young grandchildren and was really good about it, but I cringe at the thought of his version of events!

Speaking of toddlers on planes - I flew to Florida with my then 11 month old daughter to visit family. At that age you don't have to buy them a seat, they're still small enough to be on your lap. At check-in, hubby and I were assured there was enough room on the flight to have the full row of three to ourselves which would make it easier to have the extra room.

When we were seated on the plane, it turned out we were sharing our aisle seat with a mid-50s-ish man who, turned out, was sitting separately from his wife. My daughter is always very calm and easy-going and she was standing on my lap cooing at him pre-take-off. A few minutes later while I was talking to hubby on my other side, the gentleman calmly and politely asked me if I had any napkins in my diaper bag. Turned out she threw up on his lap.

As mortified and apologetic as I was, I was also pregnant and prone to inappropriate reactions. I got the giggles and couldn't control myself...to the point of tears. Thing was, she NEVER threw up - not an exaggeration. Not even as a baby, never even spit up. So I figured that was her way of getting him out of her seat and in the hormonally inappropriate moment it struck me as hilarious.

Thankfully he was wearing those pants with teflon in them and it wasn't stinky - easy to clean up. Flight attendant moved him and we bought he and his wife several rounds of alcohol after he refused to take money for cleaning. He said he had young grandchildren and was really good about it, but I cringe at the thought of his version of events!

Wow. As a parent, I'm always so grateful for those kind of understanding people. This guy sounds extraordinarily understanding! Our son is still in the free "lap baby" category until August. I feel like we're pushing it with this transpacific trip though. But it's just so expensive to buy him a seat on a flight that distance.

One time on a flight to California, I think it was, they put all the parents with kids together in one section of the plane. I kind of liked that, since everyone around us was in the same boat.

Back
Top Bottom