Too fat to fly? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Agree-I would say that an adult has an obligation of sorts to give up a seat to a 14 year old, especially kids flying on their own. I would have to

I think it's more likely that she had a problem with it because the girl was overweight
I don't think that's necessarily true. This situation is different but if I was going somewhere on business or had a very tight schedule with connecting flights, I wouldn't feel an obligation of any sort to give up my seat to a 14-year-old. This is why airlines in fact announce that the flight is overbooked and then generally offer pretty decent incentives to those willing to take a later flight - anything from hotel/food/airline vouchers to upgrades to first class. That way people who are not in a hurry can choose to participate, as it should be.

This woman was standby and she should know that there are certain risks with that type of ticket.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:44 PM
the woman who was bumped is a whiny bitch.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Southwest can't win for losing.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:44 PM
It sounds like Southwest told her she was getting booted because the ticketed passenger was overweight and had to buy two seats. That's completely irrelevant, and it's just rude for Southwest to have told her that.

All they need to have told her is that as a standby passenger, she was getting bumped for a ticketed passenger.

End of story. There's no news here, other than Southwest potentially needing a lesson in knowing how much information to give.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

^ Exactly
Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

speaking of attention seeking airline cases...

Woman who already wore hearing aid wins payout after claiming child's plane scream deafened her | Mail Online

Quote:
It is every air traveller’s worst nightmare – being stuck next to a screaming child on a long-haul flight. With no escape from the incessant noise, it can be annoying and deafening.

That is what an American tourist claimed after filing a lawsuit against the Australian airline Qantas, saying a child’s screaming left her with hearing damage.
Jean Barnard claimed she has been left partially deaf after a three-year-old boy screamed in her ear before a flight from Alice Springs to Darwin in Australia in 2009.
In her lawsuit, the 67-year-old said the toddler’s scream was so loud her ears began to bleed. She was helped off the plane and taken to hospital for treatment and was forced to cut short her holiday.

Mrs Barnard said she had been left with permanent hearing damage and sued the airline for physical and mental suffering, medical expenses and loss of income.

The trauma of the incident meant she had been unable to work as a business consultant, she said.

Mrs Barnard said she had taken her seat on the internal flight when the boy allegedly leaned back over his armrest towards her and let out a scream so severe that blood erupted from her ears, leaving her “stone cold deaf”. No other passengers were injured.
‘The pain was so excruciating that I didn’t even know I was deaf,’ Mrs Barnard said in her statement to the court.

In response, Qantas Airlines argued in court that it was not responsible for a ‘small child’s random, impulsive scream’ because it was not an ‘unexpected or unusual event and not related in any way to the operation of the aircraft’.

The airline argued that Mrs Barnard had a hearing problem before she arrived in Australia, including wearing hearing aids, and that the crew could not be responsible for the acts of a three-year-old.

Counsel for Qantas told the court: ‘Flight attendants cannot predict when children aboard an aircraft are about to scream. There is no evidence that the child was screaming in the terminal, or on board the aircraft prior to the particular scream which allegedly caused the damage.’

The airline also produced an email Mrs Barnard sent to her travel agent, in which she said: ‘I guess we are simply fortunate that my eardrum was exploding and I was swallowing blood.

‘Had it not been for that, I would have dragged that kid out of his mother’s arms and stomped him to death.’

Mrs Barnard and Qantas reached a confidential agreement out of court. Under the terms of the agreement, Mrs Barnard isn’t allowed to discuss the settlement.

A spokesman for Qantas also refused to comment.
not sure if the airline should have had to pay anything, but that little shit of a kid could benefit from reading the child discipline thread.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #112
has a

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
not sure if the airline should have had to pay anything, but that little shit of a kid could benefit from reading the child discipline thread.
I was on a 2 hour flight and sat a few rows from a guy that talked loudly through the ENTIRE flight. It was his monologue on absolutely nothing; he was an idiot.

I am now dumber from that experience and am suing the airline for my loss of braincells, and subsequent loss of future income.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
I was on a 2 hour flight and sat a few rows from a guy that talked loudly through the ENTIRE flight. It was his monologue on absolutely nothing; he was an idiot.

I am now dumber from that experience and am suing the airline for my loss of braincells, and subsequent loss of future income.

you could have just told me to shut up.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Um..yeah-not a good idea to be watching that video on a plane. Definitely sounds like a flight from hell.

By DON PEAT, Toronto Sun

Last Updated: July 22, 2010 10:11pm

This in-flight movie got a father and son kicked off a flight.

Two Air Canada passengers got pulled from their Orlando-bound flight before takeoff from Toronto’s Pearson Airport after another passenger spotted them watching video of the 9/11 terror attacks.

Sun columnist Joe Warmington, on his way to cover the Conrad Black story in Florida, was on the same plane where another passenger alerted the flight crew after spotting the young boy watching video on his iPod of the planes smashing into the World Trade Centre, just before the plane took off for U.S. airspace.

Air Canada officials confirmed to the Sun the two passengers, a man and a boy, were watching video of the 9/11 attacks before flight AC922 departed Tuesday night.

“Other passengers and our crew became concerned,” Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick told the Sun Wednesday. “The passengers were deplaned and following an investigation allowed to travel (Wednesday) morning.

“Safety and security as well as the comfort of all our passengers and crew is always our top concern and we take whatever steps we deem necessary to provide a safe, secure and comfortable environment,” he said.

An Air Canada employee told Warmington at first the man tried to cover up the video when staff went to talk to him.

“It made everyone nervous,” the employee said, adding the entire incident may have been a coincidence.

“I don’t know if it was the right decision,” the employee said. “But better safe than sorry.”

Peel Regional Police Const. Samantha Nulle said officers assisted the airline with the complaint, meeting the two passengers at the gate when they were taken off the plane.

Investigators found no criminal offence had taken place, she said.

Nulle said she couldn’t confirm the two were watching 9/11 scenes.

“The two were cleared of all allegations and set out on the next flight,” she said.

The terror video scare wasn’t the only delay on the flight that night.

Passengers were told missing baggage was delaying the plane’s takeoff even before they were told there would be a further delay due to the “security problem.”

After the two passengers were taken off the plane, it was going to takeoff but was then aborted due to mechanical issues.

Passengers were finally switched to another plane and the flight continued to Orlando.

A CBC employee, one of three CBC staffers and several other journalists on the plane heading to Florida to cover the Black story, commented he’d “never been on a flight like this.”

Passenger Mike Berrouard, a Toronto businessman, told Warmington the whole ordeal was “scary.”

“That was definitely the strangest flight of my career,” he said.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Gah! I fly to Paris in 9 hours, I sincerely hope to avoid idiocies of this nature.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Sun columnist Joe Warmington, on his way to cover the Conrad Black story in Florida, was on the same plane where another passenger alerted the flight crew after spotting the young boy watching video on his iPod of the planes smashing into the World Trade Centre, just before the plane took off for U.S. airspace.
or, you know, mind your own damn business.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Woman who already wore hearing aid wins payout after claiming child's plane scream deafened her | Mail Online

I cannot see how the airline could have been held responsible for this. What happened to this woman may not have been frivolous, but the lawsuit certainly was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Gah! I fly to Paris in 9 hours, I sincerely hope to avoid idiocies of this nature.
Lucky you! I visited Paris once in 1995 and I would love to go back.

(And nine hours isn't that bad. It takes about 15 hours--in flight time alone--to get to Saipan. Our two-year old has already made that transPacific flight five times since he was born!)
Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #118
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:

it never even occurred to me to sue for "losses" when i got my migraine thanks to a screaming baby behind me (i was in the last row, and hey thanks baby's mom for not at least walking to the other side of the plane for a minute) on my emirates flight.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
and hey thanks baby's mom for not at least walking to the other side of the plane for a minute) on my emirates flight.
She may not have been allowed to. I got reprimanded by the airline attendants on my last international flight for letting my son walk (okay, I admit it, run) in the aisles during our seven hour hop from Hawaii to Guam. Fortunately by the time they spoke to me, he'd already gotten his wiggles out. I understand their concerns about safety, but I also know that if I'd not let him get up and move around he would have been that annoying screaming child.

I think they should sit all the parents with kids in one section of the plane. They did that once on a flight we took to Florida and it was great. Everyone around us was in the same boat, and everyone was a lot more understanding of the issues that come up when you're flying with a kid.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I think they should sit all the parents with kids in one section of the plane.
they do, it's the section that's always within two rows of me.

edited to add: children on planes are a necessary evil. if the child acts up, it happens. if the parent acts like a jerk, which i've had, that's what annoys me.