Too fat to fly? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I know some parents do that, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him medication he didn't really need.
Hey, that's the best kind!!

Actually my parents always gave us a dramamine on long haul trips, and as an adult I prefer to go drugged if possible. Just so long as I wake up when I get there.

What annoyed me most about that last toddler I took issue with is that the parents held him in such a way that they let him climb over the seat they were sitting in so that he his head was hanging right in front of me as he screamed, yelped and tried to grab at anything on the little pull-out table that I had down the whole flight (had my laptop, etc on there). I honestly wanted to throw all three of them off the flight.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Hey, that's the best kind!!

Actually my parents always gave us a dramamine on long haul trips, and as an adult I prefer to go drugged if possible. Just so long as I wake up when I get there.

What annoyed me most about that last toddler I took issue with is that the parents held him in such a way that they let him climb over the seat they were sitting in so that he his head was hanging right in front of me as he screamed, yelped and tried to grab at anything on the little pull-out table that I had down the whole flight (had my laptop, etc on there). I honestly wanted to throw all three of them off the flight.
Yeah, that sounds like a pain. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty careful to prevent my son from being a nuisance to my fellow passengers. Unfortunately, not every one is. . .

Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #93
Refugee

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I'm pretty careful to prevent my son from being a nuisance to my fellow passengers.
I like the idea of the airline grouping families/kids into the same area to minimize the fuss.

If you have the opportunity to bring a portable DVD player they are as useful and convenient for long trips as drugs without the worry.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #94
Refugee

Local Time: 05:45 PM
I haven't flown. But, there is a problem with other events. Where as you have purchased a ticket for a certain seat, cannot move. And the person next to you. Is grossly overweight and is basically taking up half of your space. As a smaller person. This is uncomfortable for me. I am not trying to sound prejudice. But, it is not my fault if another has eaten their way to being 100 lbs. or more than a healthy weight. I don't think that I should have to suffer because of it. I may have to use the bathroom during the concert or event. And I want to be comfortable in the seat. That I have paid the same price for.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Weight-loss reality star Ruby Gettinger knows how Kevin Smith feels.

"The first time I went on a plane I was close to 700 lbs. and I had no idea how small the seats were," says Gettinger. "The man sitting next to me was not happy at all! I felt so bad!"

Gettinger, who stars on the Style Network's Ruby, has lost nearly 400 lbs. since that flight, but flying still isn't easy, she tells PEOPLE. "After that experience, I never flew without a friend to sit next to me, or I would buy two seats."

She doesn't know all the details of director Smith's recent removal from a Southwest Airlines flight, but the Savannah, Georgia, resident says she can imagine.

"This kind of stuff should be taken care of in private before someone like me or Kevin enters a plane," she says. "We need to remember that we may have different shells, but we are still the same on the inside."
Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #96
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
I am not trying to sound prejudice.
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
But, it is not my fault if another has eaten their way to being 100 lbs. or more than a healthy weight.
Oh.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #97
Refugee

Is it just me or have airline seats gotten smaller, too? I have no trouble on Canada's Via Rail train, but I struggle on plane seats.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #98
Blue Crack Distributor

It's not just you.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Bob Shallit: Petite passenger booted from Southwest flight

The Sacramento Bee
Published: Saturday, Jul. 24, 2010

Southwest Airlines made headlines earlier this year for kicking overweight actor-director Kevin Smith off a flight because he took up more than one seat.

Now we're hearing the airline recently removed a 5-foot-4, 110-pound Sacramento-area woman from a plane so a hefty passenger could have an extra seat.

The incident happened last week on an early-evening Southwest flight from Las Vegas to Sacramento.

The local woman was flying standby, paid full fare for the last available seat, got on board, stowed her bags and sat down – only to be told she would have to deplane immediately.

The reason?

A late-arriving passenger required two seats because of her girth.

The Sacramento woman, a frequent-flying sales rep, was stunned.

"It didn't seem right that I should have to leave to accommodate someone who had only paid for one seat," she tells us. (She has asked to remain anonymous for fear some may regard her as insensitive.)

She's even more miffed because she says Southwest personnel berated her when she questioned the decision to boot her from the plane.

She ended up getting on the next flight.

"It's small potatoes, in the scheme of things," she says. But she believes Southwest should have been more considerate.

Airline spokeswoman Marilee McInnis agrees.

"We know this was awkward and we should have handled it better," she says, adding that the airline intends to apologize to the local woman.

McInnis says normal policy is to ask for volunteers when a flight is overbooked for any reason.

In this instance, she says, airline personnel may have been influenced to choose a faster course of action to reduce embarrassment for the late-arriving passenger.

Why the extra concern? The person requiring two seats was just 14 years old.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Are we supposed to be upset at SouthWest because they gave an obese 14 year old got a second seat for free?
And a standby ticket buyer, did not get to fly on that flight but had to catch the next one?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Agree-I would say that an adult has an obligation of sorts to give up a seat to a 14 year old, especially kids flying on their own. I would have to

I think it's more likely that she had a problem with it because the girl was overweight
Old 07-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Trains are better suited for larger passengers.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

I guess my problem with this example is that they should never have disclosed the reason for her being removed, only that her seat was needed. What does standby mean? I thought that meant you could get on if there were extra seats? So wouldn't she be the first to be removed anyway rather than asking for volunteers?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

sounds like she had a chip on her shoulder
some people can be small

(see what I did, there)
Old 07-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #105
has a

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Trains are better suited for larger passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
sounds like she had a chip on her shoulder
some people can be small

(see what I did, there)
Hehe! I'm glad I looked in this thread.