Too fat to fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they do, it's the section that's always within two rows of me.

edited to add: children on planes are a necessary evil. if the child acts up, it happens. if the parent acts like a jerk, which i've had, that's what annoys me.

True, the people near that section are kind of screwed.

We always try to let people know that we're not about letting our kid go nuts on the plane. On our flight back from Florida my son kept wanting to kick the seat of the person in front of us. We told him no and did everything we could to shift his position so that he couldn't reach their seat. I don't think we were entirely successful but at least they knew we weren't just letting him do it.

(Though to be honest, I know exactly how my son felt--watching him I could just imagine how viscerally satisfying it would be to keep kicking that seat. Not to annoy anyone, but just because it how physically satisfying it would feel. Plane travel does strange things to you. :shrug: )

I don't have a problem with screaming babies on planes. They are innocent, and I can tune them out.

It's the moron that talks too loud that I can't stand.

Anyone know Lewis Black's story about "If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college?"

:lol::lol::lol:

Dumb people's earworms-- :gah:

She may not have been allowed to. I got reprimanded by the airline attendants on my last international flight for letting my son walk (okay, I admit it, run) in the aisles during our seven hour hop from Hawaii to Guam. Fortunately by the time they spoke to me, he'd already gotten his wiggles out. I understand their concerns about safety, but I also know that if I'd not let him get up and move around he would have been that annoying screaming child.
ahh, good point. though granted this was a baby, and the mom was standing at the very back of the plane in front of the stairs for the upper floor. i'm sure the people in first class liked hearing the wailing. :giggle:

I cannot see how the airline could have been held responsible for this. What happened to this woman may not have been frivolous, but the lawsuit certainly was.

No kidding.

So does this mean I can sue NWA because was immunocompromised, got a virus on their flight and was sick for five months requiring several doctor visits, prescriptions, losing money b/c of not being able to work, and my grades being effected because I missed mandatory classes?

No kidding.

So does this mean I can sue NWA because was immunocompromised, got a virus on their flight and was sick for five months requiring several doctor visits, prescriptions, losing money b/c of not being able to work, and my grades being effected because I missed mandatory classes?

UGH! I can feel the various coughs and sneezes on the back of my neck from years of airline travel.
:sick:

wsbtv.com

Posted: 10:45 pm EDT August 20, 2010

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- Michelle Fonville said her experience at Natural Nails on Covington Highway in DeKalb County turned from pleasant to painful in a matter of moments.

“I was humiliated. I almost cried. Tears were forming in my eyes,” said Fonville.

She said things went downhill on Monday after the salon manager gave her the bill for her manicure, pedicure and eyebrow arch.

Fonville realized that she had been overcharged by $5.

“I said, ‘I’ve been overcharged. She may have made an error,’” said Fonville. “She broke it down, then told me she charged me $5 more because I was overweight.”

Fonville said she couldn’t believe what was happening and recounted the experience with Channel 2 Action News reporter Eric Philips.

“I said, Ma’am, you can’t charge me $5 more. That’s discrimination because of my weight,” said Fonville.

Salon manager Kim Tran told Philips that the surcharge was due to costly repairs of broken chairs by overweight customers. She said the chairs have a weight capacity of 200 pounds and cost $2,500 to fix.

“Do you think that’s fair when we take $24 [for manicure and pedicure] and we have to pay $2,500? Is that fair? No,” Tran told Philips.

Tran said she refunded the $5 surcharge, and told Fonville to take her business elsewhere.

“I didn’t want to argue with her about $5. I wanted to make her pleased with her service,” Tran said. “I whispered … I said, ‘I’m sorry, next time I cannot take you.'”

“The word has to get out there that these people are discriminating against us because of our weight. I mean come on, we’re in America. You can’t do that,” said Fonville.

popeater.com

Forget hitting the gym to shed those extra pounds. Just get kicked off a plane for being "too fat," and you'll be so traumatized you'll have to lose the weight!

At least that was the case for Kevin Smith. The director and 'Jay and Silent Bob' star told Joy Behar about his 65-pound weight loss in a high-energy interview that led her to ask, "Are you on amphetamines?"

Last February, Smith was furious when Southwest airlines threw him off a flight from Oakland to Burbank because they deemed him too fat to fly. He took to his Twitter page to express his rage towards the airline. In one tweet he wrote: "The @SouthwestAir Diet. How it works: you're publicly shamed into a slimmer figure. Crying the weight right off has never been easier!"

Smith told Behar he "spent most of my life yo-yoing in terms of weight" and likes to wear loose-fitting hockey jerseys no matter what his weight is. "I call up Omar the tent maker," he joked. "Get me a hockey jersey, and he takes all the rayon, all this material ... and makes my jersey. It's a whole team I'm wearing! I'm wearing twelve kids on my chest."

He got serious, though, admitting to having mixed feelings about losing the weight. "I sympathize far more with heavier people than I ever will with thin -- I'll never be thin," he told the host. "Let's be honest, I've lost 65 pounds, but nobody's going 'I wanna sleep with you!' They're just like, 'Keep going, you look better.'"

He's still furious about being thrown off the flight last year, and "felt at that moment 'I'll lose the weight, but I'm not putting on thinner clothes.' I'm still the same person I was when I was 65 pounds heavier." He added that "sometimes a fat dude has a lot to offer, if [you] can just get past the blubber."

Someone posted this as a comment

Southwest should charge him for losing weight because of their motivation! :rolleyes:

How about a man dressing like this? Wow, those are quite the getups

'Underwear traveler' apparently gets around

By Harriet Baskas, msnbc.com contributor

It seems that the mystery man recently allowed to fly on a US Airways flight wearing little but women’s underwear has been spotted at numerous airports around the country in a variety of similarly skimpy outfits.

Late yesterday, readers sent msnbc.com more photos of the flashy-flier and pointed out videos of him that have been posted on YouTube. The San Francisco Chronicle also published an interview with the photogenic passenger on the condition that it not publish his name.

It turns out he’s a business consultant who flies as a preferred customer on US Airways and often dresses in female clothing to make business travel more fun. "It has never been my intent to put people in a situation where they feel uncomfortable," the man told the Chronicle during a phone interview. "I try to respect other people's opinions. As long as my dress is not indecent from a legal perspective, and so long as the airline does not object, I have the right to wear what I wear. And others have the right to wear what they want to wear."

The man told the Chronicle that he thought his fellow fliers' photos were for personal use, not public distribution.

Jessica Villardi took this photo of what appears to be the same man, this time in pink underwear, on May 20 at Los Angeles International Airport. “I wouldn't let the kids in my party look his way,” she said.

Another reader, who asked to remain anonymous, spotted a similar-looking fellow at the Baltimore airport on Oct. 29, 2010, while he was waiting to board an AirTran flight. “I thought at the time that it may just be a Halloween weekend gag. Guess I was wrong,” the reader said.

And Sean Stecker spotted the man in Phoenix just before Christmas. “No way I was missing this, so I yelled to him on my way up the escalator and he waved to us.

The 'underwear traveler' was spotted by an msnbc.com reader Oct. 29, 2010, at the Baltimore aiport waiting to board an AirTran flight.

The San Francisco Chronicle first published a photo of the "underwear traveler" on Tuesday. The picture was provided by Jill Tarlow, who told the newspaper that she flew with the man on the same June 9 US Airways flight from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to Phoenix. Tarlow said passengers had complained to airline workers before the flight, but that their complaints were ignored.

US Airways spokeswoman Valerie Wunder told msnbc.com: "As long as you’re covered you can fly. In the picture, that man is covered. A little unorthodox, but covered."

The story surfaced after a college student was removed from a US Airways flight and arrested at San Francisco International Airport on June 16 for not pulling up his saggy pants.

Wunder told msnbc.com that University of New Mexico football player Deshon Marman's arrest was "not a matter of baggy pants. It was a matter of him not complying with crew instructions.”

Kate Hanni, director of FlyersRights.org, said that airlines need to come up with specific standards in their contract of carriage as to what a passenger can and cannot wear. "It would appear that leaving these decisions up to well meaning, but diverse airline employees and flight attendants is a recipe for mass confusion, and is frankly confusing and unfair," she said.

110622-traveling-man-vmed.nv_nws.jpg

110622-traveling-man2-vmed.nv_nws.jpg

:wink: Unfortunately it seems every time I go downtown for some sort of festival there are plenty of nastier people wearing less and not joking around!

I'd rather sit next to him than in-flight-masturbation-guy. Or drunks.

I remember the story of the woman whose skirt was too short, etc. He might be exposing more skin :shrug: Apparently as long as his man parts are covered...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom