Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You don't think overweight men have it slightly easier than overweight women?
It was more the combination of sex and race that I was referring to. But yes, I think overweight females get the short end of the stick

Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #47
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
I think if you already have race issues you are quicker to point out overweight people of the race you have issues with... Here where I live it just adds to the "lazy mexican" "lazy nigger" stereotype. I live in one of the fattest cities in the U.S. and it doesn't matter about color, but one thing I've noticed that the overweight white woman is quicker to point out the overweight black woman as "fat" than they are themselves or another overweight white woman. Because of what I do, I'm surrounded by diabetics, most of which are obese, and instead of having empathy for one each other they just seem to be oblivious to their own health issues and talk about those that are slightly fatter than they are
Hmmm, interesting. I haven't personally heard comments of either type you're describing; then again, maybe I'm out of touch from having spent most of my last two decades in an academic environment, which is definitely a fairly health- and fitness- (and appearance-) conscious one. Although, now that I think about it, I have occasionally heard colleagues make jokes in poor form about 'fat' students (to other faculty, I mean--not in front of students!), whereas I don't think I've ever heard them joke about overweight faculty, even though there certainly are some. And obviously there's a socially hierarchical relationship there, the teacher-student thing, greater temptation to prematurely lump people into imaginary good/bad 'character' boxes and so on. (Course, we probably don't want to know what the students say behind our backs, lol...)

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
And its completely possible to add muscle, not lose fat, and get bigger/heavier....probably not in these people's cases though.
eh? Maybe if you already have no/very little fat to lose....

But yeah, what BVS said. I hear it all the time as well. Overweight people start working out....and they're not losing weight or getting smaller, usually because they are not eating healthy or the exercise is only marginal, but I hear "well muscle weighs more than fat..." as if it's normal/appropriate to stay the same size or even get bigger while supposedly working out a lot more. I don't think so. If you are really working out, then you are burning fat regardless of also adding muscle. If you are working out and getting bigger in size (not necessarily weight) and/or not getting any more toned, then you are doing something wrong.

I'm not trying to be offensive or whatever, I personally know people who do this and use this excuse and doesn't mean I care one way or the other about their weight or my weight. But the excuse makes no sense.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Thats not true. If you're lifting heavy weights and doing no cardio, you wont burn fat. It doesnt matter if you have a lot of a little. Heavy lifting doesnt burn fat.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Like these guys

I guarantee they work out all the time. they're fat and they're muscular. Since they only really do heavy lifting, they arent going to burn fat
Old 07-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I'm not trying to be offensive or whatever
I'm not making my argument from personal experience just principle. I'm not a fatty, no offense taken
Old 07-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Martial Arts is a great way to keep in shape. I've had my blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do for 22 years, I'm not as active in it as I used to be but still keep up with it...

i've been taking karate (Tang Soo Do) since 1993. reached 2nd degree blackbelt. almost had 3rd but had to stop cause of this job / relocation thing.

i used to set up those freestanding kicking bags that you can adjust the height and run across the room and do flying side sicks over one of them (around 4ft tall) and kick the other taller one over. now i probably couldnt kick above my head. you loose it quick.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
you loose it quick.
Yes you do. I have a photograph that someone took of me doing a sidekick and my legs were perfectly in line, I was basically doing the splits, this was in college, and after injury and studies my work out was less intense and no matter what I've never come close to getting my flexibility back. My endurance and strength I can always get back after awhile but my flexiblity is gone, I mean I can still put my legs behind my head and a few things most guys can't do at my age but nothing like I used to have...

Tang Soo Do, that's Korean as well, right?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Quote:
Martial Arts is a great way to keep in shape. I've had my blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do for 22 years, I'm not as active in it as I used to be but still keep up with it...
I have a black belt in Shotokan. I haven't trained in over eight years. Because, of a very serious back injury. I wasn't able to walk for over a month. But, I do keep active.

When, I was talking about a little extra weight for women as the age. I was talking about a few pounds. Not morbid obesity. Say, for an example. If you are a women who is perimenopause/menopause and can't lose that last ten pounds. It's okay. Ten pounds over the BMI weight range for your height. Isn't going to effect your health as long as you don't smoke, eat healthy and stay active.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:

But yeah, what BVS said. I hear it all the time as well. Overweight people start working out....and they're not losing weight or getting smaller, usually because they are not eating healthy or the exercise is only marginal, but I hear "well muscle weighs more than fat..." as if it's normal/appropriate to stay the same size or even get bigger while supposedly working out a lot more. I don't think so. If you are really working out, then you are burning fat regardless of also adding muscle. If you are working out and getting bigger in size (not necessarily weight) and/or not getting any more toned, then you are doing something wrong.

I'm not trying to be offensive or whatever, I personally know people who do this and use this excuse and doesn't mean I care one way or the other about their weight or my weight. But the excuse makes no sense.

I think you are right and have made a very good point about healthy weight loss. It must be gradual and also, constant. Exercise must be done on a regular basis. And because you exercise, doesn't give you card blanche to eat more. Fruits and vegetables, like your grandma said, are good for you. So is protein. Carbs and sugars are something you may want to discuss with your doctor.

I have pre-type 2 diabetes. Which, I am so far, controlling with diet and exercise....no meds or insulin, yet. But, I also know. I have several high risk factors. One being, a diabetic pregnancy. I was told at age twenty seven. I would develop type 2, later on in life. Not all diabetics are over weight, either. I am a healthy BMI for my age. But, if you are diabetic. Weight is something you want to watch and that goes for being under weight too.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I guarantee they work out all the time. they're fat and they're muscular. Since they only really do heavy lifting, they arent going to burn fat
Yeah they look like they eat all the time too. And how much time do they actually spend lifting? Lifting a truck once every few minutes isn't really the type of workout I meant. The people I know "working out" and not losing weight or gaining much muscle are not trying to set world records. If you are doing reps like normal people in a gym you should build muscle AND burn calories. Maybe not burn as many calories as a cardio workout or build as much muscle as a weight lifting champion but those guys are beside the point.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Thats not true. If you're lifting heavy weights and doing no cardio, you wont burn fat. It doesnt matter if you have a lot of a little. Heavy lifting doesnt burn fat.
Sure it does, so long as your caloric intake is less than your caloric expenditure.

Fat will be burned as soon as you consume less than your energy output. It's just that cardio work burns calories faster.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #58
Refugee

True.....you have to burn more calories than your intake. And weight loss should always be done with the supervision of your doctor. She/he knows your medical history and will determine, what is best for you.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:33 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Yeah they look like they eat all the time too. And how much time do they actually spend lifting? Lifting a truck once every few minutes isn't really the type of workout I meant. The people I know "working out" and not losing weight or gaining much muscle are not trying to set world records. If you are doing reps like normal people in a gym you should build muscle AND burn calories. Maybe not burn as many calories as a cardio workout or build as much muscle as a weight lifting champion but those guys are beside the point.
They do look like they eat all the time, but so do bodybuilders. Its not really the point. I bet those guys dont really get much fatter than they already are. All I'm saying is that fat burning and muscle growth CAN be independent. Not that its the norm. But regardless, that wasnt even my original point, which was muscle most certainly does weigh more than fat
Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Sure it does, so long as your caloric intake is less than your caloric expenditure.

Fat will be burned as soon as you consume less than your energy output. It's just that cardio work burns calories faster.
But now we can be talking about diet as well. Lets say that caloric intake and expenditure are a wash. Just building muscle doesnt necessarily mean you're going to lose fat