Too "Fat" To Be Surgeon General? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Martial Arts is a great way to keep in shape. I've had my blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do for 22 years, I'm not as active in it as I used to be but still keep up with it...

Old 07-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:35 AM
ditto. lot of MA programs are now offering total body fitness type classes instead of the full blown self defense as alternatives for those who don't want to get punched in the face

I've been doing tkd for 5 1/2 years and I love it! 2nd D black. Summer time little less because I golf, but its one of the best cardio workouts you can do.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Honestly, I don't know. But, I gained weight while doing martial arts.
That's because you lost less fat mass than you put on muscle mass. Which is probably a good thing.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. But for example, last year I wanted to lost 15 lbs and I lost 18 but then when I was done my weight loss, I took up weight training in earnest and packed on like 8 lbs of muscle. Thing is, my body looks WAY better with the muscle because every limb, etc, is totally toned, so I think women should stop being paranoid about doing resistance training.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
That article is ridiculous. No one ever claimed that 5 lbs of muscle weighs more than 5 lbs of fat That doesnt even make sense. The article is arguing against an argument that isnt even an argument. in their photographic 'proof' they even had to use a bigger volume of fat than muscle to get the same weight. So the muscle DOES weight more than the same volume of fat. Its like showing 5 lbs of lead and 5 lbs of feathers and saying they weight the same, so lead isnt heavier than feathers. whoever wrote that is a mouth breather
Old 07-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
That article is ridiculous. No one ever claimed that 5 lbs of muscle weighs more than 5 lbs of fat That doesnt even make sense. The article is arguing against an argument that isnt even an argument. in their photographic 'proof' they even had to use a bigger volume of fat than muscle to get the same weight. So the muscle DOES weight more than the same volume of fat. Its like showing 5 lbs of lead and 5 lbs of feathers and saying they weight the same, so lead isnt heavier than feathers. whoever wrote that is a mouth breather
Right, but so often I hear the "muscle weighs more than fat" to justify one's appearance being bigger, or actually growing in size. The article clearly dispells that myth. Even if you GAIN weight by replacing fat with muscle, then you should at the very least stay the same size if not get smaller because the muscle takes up less volume. When I did gymnastics some of the coaches who were still really active would get their body fat measured. These were lean, muscular, fit looking guys. The smaller their body fat percentage, the more lean and fit they looked, not the other way around. You don't go from looking fat b/c you have a lot of fat to looking even fatter because you lost fat and replaced it with muscle.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Right, but so often I hear the "muscle weighs more than fat" to justify one's appearance being bigger, or actually growing in size. The article clearly dispells that myth. Even if you GAIN weight by replacing fat with muscle, then you should at the very least stay the same size if not get smaller because the muscle takes up less volume. When I did gymnastics some of the coaches who were still really active would get their body fat measured. These were lean, muscular, fit looking guys. The smaller their body fat percentage, the more lean and fit they looked, not the other way around. You don't go from looking fat b/c you have a lot of fat to looking even fatter because you lost fat and replaced it with muscle.
I dont even understand what the argument is. Of course if their body fat percentage was less, they'd look lean and fit. Fat is an outer layer, so with less of it, you can see more definition of underlying muscle. Why would someone even think it might be the other way around? Its completely counter intuitive. and for people who are already fat and start lifting heavy weights, they arent actually replacing fat with muscle. They're building muscle and, unless they are also doing cardio, they are most likely not losing fat. They're bulking up muscle underneath the fat, so they might actually be getting bigger while putting on muscle, but they're still fat
Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The article is arguing against an argument that isnt even an argument.
That's kind of the point. Have you never heard anyone use that excuse? I hear it all the time.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #38
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I didn't have a problem with a fat surgeon general til I noticed she was a WOMAN???

HELLO!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
That's kind of the point. Have you never heard anyone use that excuse? I hear it all the time.
Whats the excuse? Maybe I'm missing something. A fat person saying they're heavy because they're muscular?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Whats the excuse? Maybe I'm missing something. A fat person saying they're heavy because they're muscular?
I usually hear it from people who are suprised they gained weight. They started working out but they either don't work out properly or they actually start to eat more because they're working out etc... When they find out they've actually gained weight they usually have the excuse that: "well muscle weighs more than fat".

I've heard it all my life, especially now more than ever working in the medical field.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I usually hear it from people who are suprised they gained weight. They started working out but they either don't work out properly or they actually start to eat more because they're working out etc... When they find out they've actually gained weight they usually have the excuse that: "well muscle weighs more than fat".

I've heard it all my life, especially now more than ever working in the medical field.
Oh, well thats a little different then. Just people lying to themselves. It doesnt change the fact that muscle does weigh more though. And its completely possible to add muscle, not lose fat, and get bigger/heavier....probably not in these people's cases though. I'd assume they arent power lifting or anything. but I getcha
Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #42
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_jen View Post
would anyone be questioning "her weight" and therefore credibility for selection if she were a white male?
i doubt it.
I really don't think race is an issue here. If there's a general tendency in American society for people to be quicker to deem an individual "fat" on the basis of skin color specifically, I've never noticed it. Gender could always potentially be an issue, since the aesthetic preference for slender female bodies is stronger than the preference for slender male bodies. So yes, it'd be difficult to rule out the possibility that perceptions of her figure as "unattractive"--a judgment having zilch to do with health--might be exaggerating any concerns here. But, she is being nominated for Surgeon General after all, the highest-ranking public health position one can hold in this country. If you go to the Office of the Surgeon General's website, you'll see that 'Childhood Obesity Prevention' is their lead campaign right now, and that their advice is geared towards measures meant for children and adults to follow together, which only makes sense. And realistically, if you're a parent who's having trouble motivating yourself to help your overweight or obese child become more fit, it's not gonna help if the doctors advising you on that issue are overweight or obese too, because Look, this doc clearly doesn't practice what s/he preaches, so it can't be that important. Is that actually in the doctor's job description, nope, but the reality is it influences patients' perceptions nonetheless.

Like I said, I don't ultimately see this as a worthy disqualifier--she's not all that overweight, she might well personally have 'good genes' plus an already fairly healthy lifestyle and thus have excellent bloodwork, decent cardiovascular fitness, etc. despite the overweight. But I don't think it's an illegitimate issue, either, and people huffing about "Well she's not aiming to be Supermodel General!" etc. are guilty of intentionally exaggerating the potential aesthetic component of it so as to devalue a serious public health issue.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_jen View Post
would anyone be questioning "her weight" and therefore credibility for selection if she were a white male?
i doubt it.
such a knee jerk response
Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
If there's a general tendency in American society for people to be quicker to deem an individual "fat" on the basis of skin color specifically, I've never noticed it.
I think if you already have race issues you are quicker to point out overweight people of the race you have issues with... Here where I live it just adds to the "lazy mexican" "lazy nigger" stereotype. I live in one of the fattest cities in the U.S. and it doesn't matter about color, but one thing I've noticed that the overweight white woman is quicker to point out the overweight black woman as "fat" than they are themselves or another overweight white woman. Because of what I do, I'm surrounded by diabetics, most of which are obese, and instead of having empathy for one each other they just seem to be oblivious to their own health issues and talk about those that are slightly fatter than they are
Old 07-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
such a knee jerk response
You don't think overweight men have it slightly easier than overweight women?