Too "Fat" To Be Surgeon General?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B Just building muscle doesnt necessarily mean you're going to lose fat

Of course not.

But you are still burning calories by doing weight training. And resting muscle burns more calories than fat so there is that advantage as well.

The best approach is a mix of cardio and weight training. You can do all the cardio in the world and lose a lot of weight but you still won't have that tight, toned body if you don't do any weights.

Of course not.

But you are still burning calories by doing weight training. And resting muscle burns more calories than fat so there is that advantage as well.

The best approach is a mix of cardio and weight training. You can do all the cardio in the world and lose a lot of weight but you still won't have that tight, toned body if you don't do any weights.

oh, totally. I guess the reason I originally posted about that (and i think it was just a little off the cuff remark too), was just to say that it was possible. Not that it was normal or in anyway a healthy alternative. But ya, I totally agree with what you say

They do look like they eat all the time, but so do bodybuilders. Its not really the point. I bet those guys dont really get much fatter than they already are. All I'm saying is that fat burning and muscle growth CAN be independent. Not that its the norm. But regardless, that wasnt even my original point, which was muscle most certainly does weigh more than fat

OK OK, but my point was not pertaining to professional weight lifters and body-builders, my point was that people that I know (none of whom are professional athletes or strive to be, most of them who are overweight and out of shape to begin with) have said things like "Oh I started working out but I've gained weight so muscle must weigh more than fat...." If you start working out with the point of losing weight, and you are getting heavier, then there is something you are not doing right. That is my point. There are all these myths floating around about bulking up or muscle supposedly weighing more and taking more space and whatever. That's what I'm talking about, those myths/excuses. I think when you start exercising to lose weight and eating better, if you do it correctly you initially lose quite a bit the first few weeks, not gain weight. Then it becomes harder because you have to keep up with the diet and vary your workouts.

I agree....that is, if you are overweight. My best advice.....see your doctor! That ten extra pounds may be healthy for you.

There can be medical reasons for obesity, which is at least thirty or more pounds, over the healthy weight for your age. This would have to be addressed and before you start any exercise program, get your doctor's approval.

One thing, I see that is not being addressed here is being underweight. This can also be dangerous to your health. For example. I have a neighbor who is 48 years old and is thirty pounds under the healthy weight for her age. She has Type 2 Diabetes and has been told by her doctor to gain weight. Two years ago, she fractured a bone in her foot. It still hasn't healed. Because, of her life long obsession with being a size 6. Her bones are becoming brittle. She needs back surgery, the doctors won't perform this procedure, because she will loose even more weight and they would be concerned with kidney or heart failure.

Of course, always best to see the Dr. and work with a trainer. My mom is constantly on my case saying that I work out too much and am too skinny. My main reason for working out is that I get stressed and it burns off my stress. I literally just run it off so my head doesn't explode. It also helps me sleep a lot better so even when I am stressed it doesn't upset my sleep. I have osteoarthritis in my foot and nothing I've tried with multiple doctors has eased the pain as much as simply losing weight. I was in a cast from my toes to my knee for months and it did not help at all, but since I've been losing weight and keeping myself skinnier I only have problems with bad shoes and walking on sand, I no longer limp with every step. It's not just about how I look, but how I feel overall. For me it's a tradeoff. I don't mind literally working my ass off because it helps my foot (I run on an elliptical so there's no pounding on the bad joint) and for me, being skinny has proven to be a lot healthier overall. My blood work is as good as it can be and when I got those results back I was far, far more thrilled with my progress than any number on the scale or BMI chart. I'm not really caught up in all the emotional stuff about weight and apperance and whatnot. It is what it is and if I don't like something, I change it. Too many health problems on both sides of my family to think that if I just accept what I am without any work, I'll be OK later on. My mom thinks I'm crazy but my Dr. and my wellness director don't have any problems with how I work out or what I eat (and I still could eat better than I do).

No extreme is good, but I think in this country we often make a lot of excuses and have a jaded view of what is really healthy, what is overweight, what is underweight.

That's great Leisje! It sounds as though, you take very good care of yourself. There is nothing wrong with being slender and healthy! I think you have the right attitude. There is nothing wrong with taking charge of your health. I have Pre-Type 2 Diabetes. I exercise and eat right. I am not overweight, either. I am doing my best to keep my blood sugar under control. With diet and exercise.

Another thing I have noticed, is obesity in children and teens. I grow up during the sixties and we were all skinny kids. Because, we played outdoors. Running, bike riding, etc. There were no computer games. I think my generation is probably healthier than the kids that are growing up now.

There is nothing wrong with being slender and healthy, of course. But im seeing that people are not actually understanding that according to some "BMI chart" made up 50 years ago that some people who are considered 'overweight' or even 'obese' are JUST as healthy as people who are in the "normal" weight range.

As Yolland said we don't know anything (and nor should we!) about her blood work up etc. She might have perfect scores or close to accross the board yet here we all are judging her because she isn't apparently what we consider to be a healthy weight.
Its all subjective. Like others have said, yes you can have and there is plenty of obese people who have a range of medical conditions, but then there are plenty of "normal" sized people who have a range of medical conditions.

It just gets me really cross that people judge the WHOLE lifestyle of someone based on their size. My friend is hmmm about 190 pounds? She's 5'9 and 27 yrs old. She goes tot he gym 5 days a week, runs in marathons, swims miles at the beach and is just about to go off on a 250km hiking tour of thailand. Yet it seems here people would judge her size and consider her unhealthy. THIS is what pisses me off. So people find being skinny works for them, well well done and enjoy it, but gasp shock horror, some people actually find being on the wrong side of this "BMI chart" bullshit to be a comfortable and HAPPY place for them, with no ill effects. Just like perhaps this lady is?

My friend is hmmm about 190 pounds? She's 5'9 and 27 yrs old. She goes tot he gym 5 days a week, runs in marathons, swims miles at the beach and is just about to go off on a 250km hiking tour of thailand.

I seriously doubt this. I'm assuming with the "?" that you don't know your friends actual weight and that you are guessing wrong because what you are describing is physically impossible.

So people find being skinny works for them, well well done and enjoy it, but gasp shock horror, some people actually find being on the wrong side of this "BMI chart" bullshit to be a comfortable and HAPPY place for them, with no ill effects. Just like perhaps this lady is?

It's not about comfort and happy, yes you can be really unhealthy and happy. This is about health. And no one even mentioned being "skinny". It's about health, the human body is designed a certain way and our skeletal frame and organ make up have certain limitations. Be it weight, what we consume, what activities we do, it can only take what it's designed for, anything else is unhealthy and will limit our life.

Well I know she weight 88kgs so i was just guessing pounds as i was too lazy to go an see what it is so i went and converted it and its 193, so i was pretty close! haha
And no its not physically impossible, is she winning everyhting no? Is she finishing in the middle of the pack? you betcha. She has amazing stamina! Of course she is just one person, but i do not believe that just because she is considered 'overweight' on the BMI scale that she is then 'at risk' or anything like that.

Why are we living for longer, and on average heavier then we were? I do not and will not believe that carrying more fat then we're "supposed to" based on some doctors opinion 50 years before will shorten ones life, and also bring someone into question over their suitability to work in a medical profession.

Its like being a psychologist. Is every psych actually well rounded and never suffered any type of mental illness in their life? Who knows? Yet people still go and see them and seek their help in the world of mental issues without ever casting judgement of whether or not they have a sound mind themselves. Its the same with a doctor. I don't believe they need to be normal to thin to be able to treat me properly. We all don't have to toe the line we're told too and not be bad because of it.

I do not and will not believe that carrying more fat then we're "supposed to" based on some doctors opinion 50 years before will shorten ones life, and also bring someone into question over their suitability to work in a medical profession.

It's not based on "some doctor's opinion". I'm guessing you just reject most of the medical field completely, eh?

Back
Top Bottom