Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 AM

Old 07-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:25 PM
I agree with deep that an *ideal* outcome might be if Dr. Benjamin were confirmed, then proceeded as one of her 'projects' to follow a nutritional and exercise regimen that'd enable her to slim down to a medically normal weight herself. That would set a good public health example, heighten her credibility when addressing overweight and obesity as health issues, and simultaneously heighten her credibility as someone who personally understands what it's like to tackle a longstanding weight problem with a (very) busy middle-aged lifestyle. I don't think it'd be cruel or out-of-line for medical colleagues who are in a position to offer her mentorship or advice at this point to tell her so, either.

But I don't think her weight is in itself a good reason why she shouldn't become Surgeon General. We don't actually know what her current medical status is in terms of cardiovascular fitness, cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar levels etc.--i.e., the stuff that really matters, and which you can't tell for sure just by looking at someone. We're also dealing here with a physical 'symptom' that's intertwined in our culture--especially for women--with aesthetic preferences having absolutely nothing to do with concern for health, so like it or not, you have to tread carefully both in how you evaluate and in how you publically address any 'problems' posed by her weight. She does offer some pretty fantastic professional background and accomplishments to the office, particularly in terms of her extensive experience working with high-poverty and minority communities. (Having grown up in a poor, rural, predominantly African-American part of Mississippi, 'the fattest state in the country' and one of the unhealthiest in several other ways as well, I personally am especially enthusiastic about the opportunity she represents in this regard, so, I'll grant I might be 'biased' here.) To my mind, the minuses here, while legitimate, aren't unambiguously serious enough to outweigh the considerable positives.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
This is her, right?

By no means would I call her obese or in an unhealthy category.

I wonder if this was a "full figured" male if it would even be an issue?
Neither would I. She looks healthy to me.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #19
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 12:25 AM
would that figure be like that because more people are overwiehgt then not? Therefore more people go to the doctor are overweight. While i'm not saying that being obese isn't dangerous to your health, I don't think being "big boned" like this lady is means that she is not fit to be surgeon general. Some people are built to carry fat. Woman need fat on their bodies. Unfortunately we live in a society where we value skeletal frames and no fat. We see fat=failure when in actual fact a lot of people are comfortable being slighty "overweight"

The BMI index has been proved again and again to be wrong in today society, so i dont listen to any BMI talk. I think if you go to the doctors and your blood tests are good, your blood pressure and cholesterol is fine and you have no underlying issues, then you can take your "fat is unhealthy" and fuck off.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
would anyone be questioning "her weight" and therefore credibility for selection if she were a white male?
i doubt it.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlingamy View Post
would that figure be like that because more people are overwiehgt then not? Therefore more people go to the doctor are overweight.
Not exactly. Yes there are more overweight people, but percentage wise those that are obese have many many more problems than those that are not.

Quote:
While i'm not saying that being obese isn't dangerous to your health, I don't think being "big boned" like this lady is means that she is not fit to be surgeon general. Some people are built to carry fat. Woman need fat on their bodies. Unfortunately we live in a society where we value skeletal frames and no fat. We see fat=failure when in actual fact a lot of people are comfortable being slighty "overweight"
This is a fallacy. There is no such thing as being "big boned". The skeletal structure and organ structure of two people of similar height one with a healthy BMI and one that is morbidly obese will be the same. No one is built to carry more fat than others. This is why it's so dangerous.

That being said, I do not think she is obese, but she can gain to lose some weight.

Quote:
The BMI index has been proved again and again to be wrong in today society, so i dont listen to any BMI talk. I think if you go to the doctors and your blood tests are good, your blood pressure and cholesterol is fine and you have no underlying issues, then you can take your "fat is unhealthy" and fuck off.
Where have you seen BMI to be proven wrong? I think most doctors would just shake their head in frustration at such an assumption.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

At least for me BMI has gone hand in hand with everything else. I went from 23.8 to 19.6 and at the lower number, all my blood tests and blood pressure came back optimal. According to the BMI chart I was not overweight to begin with, but losing weight and adjusting BMI did impact my overall health. It doesn't make sense to me that people can be in the obese range of BMI and still have optimal levels on all their blood work. Maybe a few but I would wager that in general, doctors are correct in saying that being overweight does effect your health negatively.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
would that figure be like that because more people are overwiehgt then not? Therefore more people go to the doctor are overweight. While i'm not saying that being obese isn't dangerous to your health, I don't think being "big boned" like this lady is means that she is not fit to be surgeon general. Some people are built to carry fat. Woman need fat on their bodies. Unfortunately we live in a society where we value skeletal frames and no fat. We see fat=failure when in actual fact a lot of people are comfortable being slighty "overweight"

Exactly.......and as women get older. They need a healthy layer of fat on their bodies. To protect them from bone fractures. Especially, with the hip area. When a woman approaches age fifty and menopause. It is healthy for her to have some "curves" as comparative to a frail bird like body. Bone size, muscle mass and height. Also contribute. A tall, large boned lady should weight more than her petite counterpart.

Something my doctor told me.....BMI weight charts are inaccurate. They are based on an eighteen year old. They also, do not take into account that muscle weighs more than fat.

At age fifty two.....I weight twenty pounds more than I did while in my twenties. I walk, swim and eat healthy. I did martial arts. Became a second degree black belt, while in my forties, until I injured my back, which ended my martial arts training. I have also had a child.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
They also, do not take into account that muscle weighs more than fat.
This is another one I've never understood. A pound is a pound, so how can a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat? The myth that doing strength training wil make you "bulk up" and gain weight has been dispelled. If you are working out and building muscle you are also burning fat, so a person in really good shape is not going to be obese.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
At least for me BMI has gone hand in hand with everything else. I went from 23.8 to 19.6 and at the lower number, all my blood tests and blood pressure came back optimal. According to the BMI chart I was not overweight to begin with, but losing weight and adjusting BMI did impact my overall health. It doesn't make sense to me that people can be in the obese range of BMI and still have optimal levels on all their blood work. Maybe a few but I would wager that in general, doctors are correct in saying that being overweight does effect your health negatively.
High blood pressure, bad cholesterol and type 2 diabetes can be hereditary. You can be thin and have all of the above. You can be a vegetarian and have all of the above. But, these medical conditions are controlled much better, if you live healthy. Medication can only do so much.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
This is another one I've never understood. A pound is a pound, so how can a pound of muscle weigh more than a pound of fat? The myth that doing strength training wil make you "bulk up" and gain weight has been dispelled. If you are working out and building muscle you are also burning fat, so a person in really good shape is not going to be obese.
Honestly, I don't know. But, I gained weight while doing martial arts.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post

Something my doctor told me.....BMI weight charts are inaccurate. They are based on an eighteen year old. They also, do not take into account that muscle weighs more than fat.
BMI charts are designed with age in consideration, that's why there's a 30-40 pound variation for your ideal weight.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Muscle vs Fat myth:

Muscle Weighs More Than Fat Myth
Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
BMI charts are designed with age in consideration, that's why there's a 30-40 pound variation for your ideal weight.
Thanks, I didn't know this. I've never been overweight and you are right. There is a pound range.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Thanks again for the link. It now makes sense that while in martial arts, I gained ten pounds but still wore the same size clothes. Gained lean muscle and lost body fat.