Tony Scott, wow, courageous, he is my hero. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Tony Scott, wow, courageous, he is my hero.

I think he is my hero.

I don't think we will ever know why he made his choice. He left several notes. We all have an exit, or will have an exit. He had an exit plan and followed it.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:21 AM
A little context would be nice, please, sir.

And I don't just mean background on who Tony Scott is and how he died, for posters who might not know that.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:21 PM
All I heard about it at the time was that he was diagnosed w/ inoperable brain cancer but since I just Googled it, evidently that is false according to his widow?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:21 AM
Evidently.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

This tragic event has occupied a lot of my mind since I first heard about it. One thing that really keeps bothering me is that he had young children. I can not reconcile that.

But I do believe each of us should have the right to chose how and when our lives end, if it is done in a rational way. In the last several years I have been with loved ones and good friends at the end of their lives. It has not been pleasant, it has been terrible.

Many times I have thought that I want to chose my own exit. I don't have children. I have health issues that are stable now. If they took a turn for the worse. I would rather choose than lose control.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 AM
He's a movie director, directed Top Gun. His brother is Ridley Scott, also a director. And yes his family is denying that he had inoperable brain cancer. Maybe they didn't know, who knows. We don't. He jumped off a bridge in CA.

I've felt suicidal several times in my life and never could go through with it, as much as I wanted to at the times. I don't think suicide is something to make someone a "hero" (seems an odd choice of words under the circumstances) for. Feel sorry for them and wonder whatever drove them to do it, yes. Feel sorry for those they left behind, yes.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I've felt suicidal several times in my life and never could go through with it, as much as I wanted to at the times. I don't think suicide is something to make someone a "hero" (seems an odd choice of words under the circumstances) for. Feel sorry for them and wonder whatever drove them to do it, yes. Feel sorry for those they left behind, yes.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

I've heard some people suggest that suicide is OK is life is not worth living anymore. I can understand that in the case of the severely ill, like we discussed in the euthanasia thread. But just because life seems unlivable and even pointless doesn't make sense to me. Rather it sounds selfish and myopic. Being suicidal is a sign of a troubled mind, not bravery.

I've also had contemplated suicide in the past. Maybe I just didn't have enough nerve to do it. But even so, there is light at the end of the tunnel - even if you can't see it. That may be a cliched saying, but it is so true.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

i've never encountered suicide in my life, but a few years ago i sat right next to a co-worker who received a phone call with news that her friend (and mother of 3) had just committed suicide.

it seems like just about the worst possible thing you could do to your loved ones.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
45:33

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl

I've heard some people suggest that suicide is OK is life is not worth living anymore. I can understand that in the case of the severely ill, like we discussed in the euthanasia thread. But just because life seems unlivable and even pointless doesn't make sense to me. Rather it sounds selfish and myopic. Being suicidal is a sign of a troubled mind, not bravery.
it's incredibly selfish.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:21 AM
I don't think I'd go along with selfish; often there's not much of a self left of people in suicidal despair.

An aunt and uncle of my husband's, whom we knew relatively well, committed suicide together a few years ago (at home, peacefully--or at least, as peaceful as a suicide could manage to be I guess). They were getting fairly old--he was in his 80s, she was in her 70s--and declining in various ways; neither were gravely ill but he had numerous physical infirmities, and she was in the early stages of dementia. Neither wished to go on, neither wished to live without the other. They gathered their children and grandchildren together beforehand and told them exactly what they were going to do and when--we were told they seemed "elated" at having made their decision. We didn't hear about it until after they died. I don't know what to think about that; I'd had close friends and students kill themselves before, but I'd never heard of discussing it in advance with your children, and can't imagine having had a discussion like that with my own parents, nor having it with my kids. But as far as it goes, better that than hearing that one or both of them died in some impulsive, violent moment of heartrending despair.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I don't think I'd go along with selfish; often there's not much of a self left of people in suicidal despair.
True, there's little sense of self-worth at that point. But its selfish because you're not considering how your suicide will hurt others. Of course, that's because the depression can be so great, you're unable to empathize with anyone.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
An aunt and uncle of my husband's, whom we knew relatively well, committed suicide together a few years ago (at home, peacefully--or at least, as peaceful as a suicide could manage to be I guess). They were getting fairly old--he was in his 80s, she was in her 70s--and declining in various ways; neither were gravely ill but he had numerous physical infirmities, and she was in the early stages of dementia. Neither wished to go on, neither wished to live without the other. They gathered their children and grandchildren together beforehand and told them exactly what they were going to do and when--we were told they seemed "elated" at having made their decision.
that sounds wonderful
I have a lot of respect for them.
But more impressively, the selflessness of their children and grandchildren.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
True, there's little sense of self-worth at that point. But its selfish because you're not considering how your suicide will hurt others.
Many people kill themselves because they are severely mentally ill (not just depression). My aunt killed herself and she was a paranoid schizophrenic. Three attempts, a success. I don't think it had anything to do with selfishness, I mean this was a person who didn't know what country she was in most of the time, nevermind having the capacity to actively choose a selfish course of action.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I read that when you posted it before. And I am always a bit uncomfortable when people post personal situations in here. I don't want to offend anyone or be insensitive. I certainly would not do that in person.

But, I will say this person's life may have been a tormented hell. And at last she is at peace. What often times is selfish is not caring about what a suffering person wants because it may not fit our religious or societal beliefs.

A paranoid schizophrenic, how tragic. At least she was lucid enough to know she wanted the pain to end.