Today in Wisconsin students rise up and protest! - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #136
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Daily Kos: Fox flips poll results to falsely claim Americans support union-busting

I'm sure it was just a simple mistake.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Hey look up, I posted this earlier today. I thought everyone saw it and were unphased. He admitted to the phone call and what he said so it's all true... he is beholden to the Koch brothers and big business, not the working class.
Not that we needed any proof, but for the righties that need evidence...here you go.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

What exactly are you implying?? Fox News is right wing tool?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:59 AM   #139
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
As far as the collective bargaining being dismantled, it's just for salaries; bargaining for benefits remains in tact.
No--the reverse is true. From the official legislative summary of the bill (http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lfb/2011-...egislation.pdf):
Quote:
Collective bargaining rights under current law would be retained for public safety employees only. Under MERA, a public safety employee would be defined as any municipal employee who is employed in a position classified as a protective occupation participant who is a police officer, a fire fighter, a deputy sheriff, a county traffic police officer, a person employed by a village to provide police and fire protection services, or a comparable position under the provisions of a county (Milwaukee) or city (Milwaukee) retirement system. Under SELRA, a public safety employee would be defined as a member of the state traffic patrol or a state motor vehicle inspector.
Prohibit any municipal employer under MERA or the state under SELRA from bargaining collectively with a collective bargaining unit containing a general municipal employee with respect to any factor or condition of employment except wages. Wages would include only total base wages and would exclude any other compensation, including, but not limited to, overtime, premium pay, merit pay, performance pay, supplemental compensation, pay schedules, and automatic pay progressions. Unless approved by referendum as described below, prohibit any increase in base wages that exceeds the total base wages for authorized positions 180 days before the expiration of the previous collective bargaining agreement by a greater percentage than the increase in the consumer price index.
(...i.e., an inflation cap.) The document also specifies that certain categories of workers (licensed childcare providers, home healthcare workers, and University of Wisconsin faculty) will not be allowed to engage in any collective bargaining whatsoever, and that public sector union members cannot be required to pay dues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I'd be interested in hearing the pros and cons of collective bargaining.
The classic argument against *public sector* unions is that the unique relationship between employee and employer involved warps the collective bargaining process, and at the taxpayer's expense. The "employer" has often received large sums of money from the union in the form of campaign contributions (e.g. Walker with the police and firemen), and furthermore the "business" in question is often a state monopoly, so the inhibition of not wanting to risk your job by rendering your employer uncompetitive isn't there. Campaign finance reform might be one way to address the former concern, though there's considerable bipartisan opposition to that.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Campaign finance reform might be one way to address the former concern, though there's considerable bipartisan opposition to that.
The one thing both parties can agree on, and it HAS to be that .

Angela
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #141
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:01 PM
The sad thing about the whole situation at the end of the day is this is a story about tons of campaign support money having gone to a new Republican governor, who is now trying to appease his backers by busting unions who give a ton of campaign support money to Democrats.

No value added.

People wonder why the American Empire seems to be in decline?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #142
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:01 PM
one interesting thought that i've come across is that unions represent, in the gauzy collective memory of the Left, something akin to what the Tea Party has stirred in the Right. like, the Right feels as if the sacred Founding Fathers are under attack, and the left is now convinced that a few rich asshats want to crush poor people.

like, for the right, American history looks like this:

and for the left, it looks like this:

them's just thoughts.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Norma Rae kicks ass! Such a great movie!

"Forget it! I'm stayin' right where I am. It's gonna take you and the police department and the fire department and the National Guard to get me outta here! "
Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #144
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Feb. 24
Quote:
Madison Police Chief Noble Wray said Thursday that he found comments by Gov. Scott Walker made about protesters at the state Capitol during a prank phone call “very unsettling and troubling.” In a statement, Wray said he spent time overnight thinking about the comments Walker made during a 20-minute conversation with a Buffalo, NY, blogger who posed as a major Republican donor during the call.

The blogger, Ian Murphy, suggested the idea of placing troublemakers amid the crowd of protesters. Walker responded: “The only problem with that--because we thought about that. The problem with--my only gut reaction to that would be, right now the lawmakers I’ve talked to have just completely had it with them. The public is not really fond of this.”

Wray said he was disturbed that Walker thought about planting troublemakers among peaceful protesters. “I would like to hear more of an explanation from Governor Walker as to what exactly was being considered, and to what degree it was discussed by his cabinet members. I find it very unsettling and troubling that anyone would consider creating safety risks for our citizens and law enforcement officers,” the chief said. “Our department works hard dialoging with those who are exercising their First Amendment right, those from both sides of the issue, to make sure we are doing everything we can to ensure they can demonstrate safely. I am concerned that anyone would try to undermine these relationships. I have a responsibility to the community, and to the men and women of this department--who are working long hours protecting and serving this community--to find out more about what was being considered by state leaders.”

The Madison Police Department released a separate statement: “The men and the women of the Madison Police Department train for crowd situations where an agitator or provocateur may try to create safety risks for citizens and officers. During the demonstration around the Capitol Square no such situation has arisen. Crowd behavior has been exemplary, and thousands of Wisconsin citizens are to be commended for the peaceful ways in which they have expressed First Amendment rights.”

Walker spokesman Cullen Werwie had no immediate comment on Wray’s statements.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #145
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
one interesting thought that i've come across is that unions represent, in the gauzy collective memory of the Left, something akin to what the Tea Party has stirred in the Right. like, the Right feels as if the sacred Founding Fathers are under attack, and the left is now convinced that a few rich asshats want to crush poor people.

like, for the right, American history looks like this:

and for the left, it looks like this:

them's just thoughts.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

your new avatar is amazing.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #147
Blue Crack Distributor