Tipping Point - Sexual Harassment In America - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 AM
This is a great piece by the actor Matt McGorry, he was on the CNN special last night. He plays Asher on How To Get Away With Murder. He's also on Orange Is The New Black. Hopefully it will work, if not you can just Google it. I've read things in the past that he's posted about on Twitter, he just seems to be a guy who really gets it.

https://medium.com/@MattMcGorry/good...n-b507bed80449

Old 11-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Ugh. One comment says Matt is the perfect example of what women are not looking for in a man. Well that's not true for me.

Whoever this Mark Dice guy is, he must be what women are looking for in a man. I bet his You Tube channel is full of all kinds of good stuff.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:17 PM
I think it's very important to note that, while the majority of incidents may be make to female, there are also many incidents of male to make, female to female, and yes, female to male harassment that takes place.

As Hewson noted, abuse of power is the primary cause - be it power by size, stature, wealth or celebrity, or even something more benign - a coach with power over an athlete for example.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Louis C K may get some praise for his full confession and taking responsibility.

I can't do that, it does make it a little bit easier for many, including himself.

there is so much to process in all of this, I am so glad that people are finding and using their voices and this is one of the few actual benefits of social media
Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Louis C K may get some praise for his full confession and taking responsibility.

I can't do that, it does make it a little bit easier for many, including himself.
Come on deep, you can do that.

Confess and take responsibility.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Do you want to praise Louis C K's response??

it seems good, but also is very self-serving.

As for me" I haven't had that much power to abuse, many people with power abuse it.
Many of these abusers and abuses were known and tolerated and covered up. Some people are trying to get out in front of their past actions by admitting some wrong behavior.

As for my self-examination. I have been doing that for awhile. Having lived through the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. I stopped telling repeating many jokes awhile back. Because if one really analyzes them, there can be an element of sexism, racism, or some kind of bias if one thinks long enough. The world is not an even playing field and never will be.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I just read about Anthony Edwards from ER, what a producer named Gary Goddard did to him. Awful beyond any words.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Good on you Mrs Springsteen for starting this thread.
Been thinking about how to answer.

(apologies in advance, I think I caught all auto corections, and other typos- posting this through free WiFi not at home. tired and have another errand to attend to)

I think there are two problems I guess running parallel to each other that intersect (i m o) [spacing it out stops the auto-cap]

There is the abuse of power which stems from psychological & sociological aspects in a person, and can be found in nearly any age, all genders, classes, "races", ethno groups, religions, atheists etc amongst some people in all of these groups. Which is why as headache mentioned it's not just male to female.

But I posit that the parallel problem of women not being considered equal to men in a lot of men (and too many) women's minds; women are not people first in those minds.
And that's why the major amount of attacks, abuse, harrassment are done by men to women, still, as it's gone on for thousands of years.

Yes, there have always been good men who have supported the various women in their lives to dream their dreams, and help make them come true. But I think sometimes not enough.

Think even of the common phrase " would you want that (abuse) to happen to your girlfriend, wife, sister" etc. Each designation of the woman has at some point (and still does in places) needed permission from which ever designated male (father, brother etc) to do certain things, go certain places etc. Further stemming from the "fact" that women were "less than", and further still- " property".

Thing of the rage (that often manifests as seriously disturbing work place behaviour, including sabotage of women's work tools in the construction business that) is often hurled now in the form of degradatin and, hate speech, and death via e-mails, tweets and phone calls etc at women who go and do things that have been considered work in the "male" domain. ( yes, when it comes to physicality issues, a woman firefighter, AF combat person etc must be up to par with her male counterparts want to make sure that's clear)

As a woman from a young age who liked/s "girly" things and activities, and "guy" things and activities particularly as designated back in the 1960's it's been hell of a journey watching women trying to gain equal rights. Some day these activities will be considered less balkanized ( they are less so now than then, not equally so everywhere). I'm very glad, at least , I was born in NYC, USA where there was/is a chance for someone who refused to fit he mold could have a chance to thrive more than many places, and many past times as well!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Now there's a woman who says George Bush Sr groped her backside during a photo op when she was 16 years old. So apparently he has done this for quite some time. She told other people about it at the time.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Also Brett Ratner is such a vile pig. I read Ellen Page's Facebook post about what he did to her.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Now there's a woman who says George Bush Sr groped her backside during a photo op when she was 16 years old. So apparently he has done this for quite some time. She told other people about it at the time.
Apparently this was the car that GHWB used to drive around NYC when he was younger:

Old 11-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Hearing today revealed that two current members of Congress are sexual harassers. Including one who grabbed a woman's private parts on the House floor. There is a list by women for women of unwritten rules for women working there. About elevators, about a creep list.

Paul Ryan announces sexual harassment training for Congress. I guess they've been too busy doing nothing for years to worry about such trivial matters.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I’m not sure what Ryan is doing, it’s clear that Republican voters don’t care about sexual harassment in 2017. In fact it looks more and more like it’s a prerequisite.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Hearing today revealed that two current members of Congress are sexual harassers. Including one who grabbed a woman's private parts on the House floor. There is a list by women for women of unwritten rules for women working there. About elevators, about a creep list.
I think that it's unconscionable to make such claims and not name them. So we're ok with staffers being exposed to these guys (no pun intended)? Just absolutely gross and disgusting. There are apparently two, one a Democrat and one a Republican so this shouldn't even be a partisan issue - name them and let the voters in their districts decide in 2018.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think that it's unconscionable to make such claims and not name them. So we're ok with staffers being exposed to these guys (no pun intended)? Just absolutely gross and disgusting. There are apparently two, one a Democrat and one a Republican so this shouldn't even be a partisan issue - name them and let the voters in their districts decide in 2018.
I agree completely. What's with the secrecy and protecting them? CNN says it's one Republican and one Democrat.