Time magazine cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember me from such instructional films as Restaurant Terror: Boob Feeding Frenzy and Mommy, That Lady Jabbed My Eye When She Whipped It Out!

I couldn't care less about breast feedin inn public, or this photo.

However, I do remember being a lifeguard and we had to make sure that women didn't breast feed on the pool deck because breast milk can be a hazardous substance in the way that blood can be a hazardous substance. It was an OSHA thing. Sure, that might seem insane, but it was a law. So I can see the same logic applying in, say, a restaurant. But beyond that I've never ever seen anyone be inappropriate and I cant imagine how seeing a breast in a baby's mouth could ever be a sexual turn on.

I don't care if women breast feed in public. I watched my mom breast feed my brothers and even though she was somewhat discrete about it I never minded. From what I've heard breast feeding/pumping often is a requirement for women otherwise they get very uncomfortable (some females on here will have to confirm this because I have no experience with it). The issue some of the people are bringing up in this thread isn't with being discrete, it's with what constitutes as discrete.

I am perfectly okay with seeing an entire breast out feeding a baby and as a male I can say there is nothing sexual about it and it does not make me feel uncomfortable. In my opinion if something like that makes you uncomfortable then you need to either learn to look away or really question the morals you were raised on. I also think part of the stigma against breast feeding is related to the fact that less and less women these days are actually doing it and formulas are much more popular so it is no longer considered "normal".

or really question the morals you were raised on.

Ha! That's a load of crap. I know plenty of young women who feel the same discomfort. It's got nothing to do with morals. There's nothing worse than the finger wagging defense

Ha! That's a load of crap. I know plenty of young women who feel the same discomfort. It's got nothing to do with morals. There's nothing worse than the finger wagging defense

Those young women were raised with questionable morals as well. When you care that much about seeing a mother feeding her child, there are issues afoot.

My, what a self righteous asshole. Maybe it's not other people's morals, but your weak libido in not finding breasts attractive that's afoot. Maybe you're at the opposite end of that spectrum of sexual deviance? Perhaps watching your mom breastfeed when you were younger has had a negative impact on your sexual health?

My, what a self righteous asshole. Maybe it's not other people's morals, but your weak libido in not finding breasts attractive that's afoot. Maybe you're at the opposite end of that spectrum of sexual deviance? Perhaps watching your mom breastfeed when you were younger has had a negative impact on your sexual health?

I find breasts attractive just fine, but there's nothing sexual to me about a woman breast feeding. I am just saying that people who are grossed out/turned on by something as natural as feeding your baby really need to take a good look in the mirror. Morals might not be the proper term for it, but what I meant was that if you find it immoral/immodest for a woman to breast feed, you weren't born with it. It was taught to you by your parents or society. I just don't see breast feeding as sexual because it isn't. There is not anything sexual in relation to babies for me.

I think moiph is trying to say that people are not born thinking that breast feeding is something to be ashamed or or something sexual in nature. They have to be taught that. Nor is he being condescending, he's just saying that you have a strange sense of morals if you think breast feeding in public is immoral. Am I correct?

I think moiph is trying to say that people are not born thinking that breast feeding is something to be ashamed or or something sexual in nature. They have to be taught that. Nor is he being condescending, he's just saying that you have a strange sense of morals if you think breast feeding in public is immoral. Am I correct?

Precisely. :up:

I find breasts attractive just fine, but there's nothing sexual to me about a woman breast feeding. I am just saying that people who are grossed out/turned on by something as natural as feeding your baby really need to take a good look in the mirror. Morals might not be the proper term for it, but what I meant was that if you find it immoral/immodest for a woman to breast feed, you weren't born with it. It was taught to you by your parents or society. I just don't see breast feeding as sexual because it isn't. There is not anything sexual in relation to babies for me.

I just don't think it's fair to judge people that way, especially when you know so little about them. Again, just to be clear, I don't find breastfeeding a turn on (Boobs yes, breastfeeding no). But there is much more to people's personalities than simply the way their parents brought them up, it's not fair to bash them with the morals stick (which I was trying to illustrate with a ridiculous psycho analysis of you based on a single post). You never know what has happened to a person to make them the way they are. Maybe someone thinks breastfeeding is a turn on but is intensely ashamed that they do. Everyone has something a little bit freaky that they find a turn on and we all have little control over what that is as there were so many factors that went into it. I find a lot of fetishes to be really weird, but as long as nobody is getting hurt, what does it matter?

I just don't think it's fair to judge people that way, especially when you know so little about them. Again, just to be clear, I don't find breastfeeding a turn on (Boobs yes, breastfeeding no). But there is much more to people's personalities than simply the way their parents brought them up, it's not fair to bash them with the morals stick (which I was trying to illustrate with a ridiculous psycho analysis of you based on a single post). You never know what has happened to a person to make them the way they are. Maybe someone thinks breastfeeding is a turn on but is intensely ashamed that they do. Everyone has something a little bit freaky that they find a turn on and we all have little control over what that is as there were so many factors that went into it. I find a lot of fetishes to be really weird, but as long as nobody is getting hurt, what does it matter?

Obviously there is more to people's personalities than just that, and moiph did not seem like he was judging people to me. In fact he seemed to be defending women that breast feed against judgment.

Obviously there is more to people's personalities than just that, and moiph did not seem like he was judging people to me. In fact he seemed to be defending women that breast feed against judgment.

It was the moral judgement that rubbed me the wrong way

It was the moral judgement that rubbed me the wrong way

Okay put it this way.

If you think it's immoral/wrong for a woman to be feeding her baby anywhere except for her own house (some people genuinely do believe this), who taught you those morals? It's a critique of the moral idea that it is wrong to feed your baby, not a critique of someone's sexual morality (which is extremely subjective except for cases of rape).

Okay put it this way.

If you think it's immoral/wrong for a woman to be feeding her baby anywhere except for her own house (some people genuinely do believe this), who taught you those morals?

I guess in this case, I would agree, I just use the word morals a little differently. When I read moiph's posts, I took it to be specifically a judgement on sexuality. I agree, someone who thinks a woman should only breastfeed in her home is a jerkoff, if nothing else

Right. I think the sexuality comment was more along the lines of people who make things sexual that aren't sexual, not people that are turned on by it. People that go "oh that's too sexual and I look down on that!" just because it involves breasts and for no other reason. To me those people are like the school boards that ban hugging because it's a "gateway sexual behavior". It doesn't really make any sense because while I'm sure someone out there has a "thing" for that, the majority don't. People often associate "sexual" things such as breasts with shame and believe those behaviors to be shameful... which they aren't. That is what I think he was talking about.

Mmhm. Some schools freak out if kids hug each other and have banned it. I haven't heard the exact reasoning being that it's a "gateway sexual behavior", but something along that line, I think, yes.

Some schools have also banned tag, too. My god, however did I survive elementary school, with no bans on hugging and being allowed to play tag?

My elementary school banned boys and girls from sitting at the same lunch table. I rebelled and sat with the boys anyway (the girls were mean to me because I was new to the school halfway through the year :reject:). At first they wouldn't let me go to recess as punishment, then they just gave up. My dad got a lot of calls about how rebellious I was.

Back
Top Bottom