Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post

The fact is that in America toplessness was fine and dandy until the Christians arrived. Religion is the reason it has become a forbidden fruit, not actual modesty or sexuality.
Well, if you're talking about native americans, then I guess you'd be right, but our culture isn't based off of native culture. I doubt you could find a 'western' culture in the last 3000 years where walking around topless was the norm. Again, I've got no problem with women walking around topless (quite the opposite, actually), but it's a little insincere to imply that concealing the breasts in a new phenomenon

Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Most of the time, if women are breastfeeding in public, they are being very discreet.
That's totally cool.

I should've said not flopped out in a restaurant

Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
breastfeeding is beautiful and natural......and so is having sex
when you are right, you are right
Old 05-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
This always comes up with this topic. I guess it's difficult for women to understand, but breasts most certainly are sexual to a man. They might not be primary sexual organs, but they are definitely secondary. A man's testicles aren't sexual in the same sense, but we wouldn't expect to see them hanging out all over the place either
I'm a woman and I understand what you mean. Furthermore I don't disagree.

Female breasts do have a sexual aspect to them because of the way that we have been socialized. It's of little relevance what tribes in Africa do - we are not them, nor are our culture and social norms the same.

Furthermore, if we insist that breasts are NOT sexual, then by logical extension, a man who gropes me by grabbing and squeezing my breasts is neither sexually harassing nor sexually assaulting me. That is why you will see a pretty expansive body of law on the topic of whether breasts are indeed sexual organs or whether they are mere mammary glands.

That's to say nothing of breast feeding in public - I've always seen women covered up and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Baby's gotta eat and we can't expect these women to be prisoners in their home lest they offend somebody's sensibilities.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Nice points, anitram. We're definitely on the same page
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #66
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:53 PM
I love it when people who don't want women to breastfeed in a restaurant suggest that they do it in the bathroom.

Yes, because who doesn't love to have their meals in a public restroom?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

I think we should setup separate establishments for breastfeeding. Bed and Breastfeeds. We could make a killing on this idea, you guys.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Furthermore, if we insist that breasts are NOT sexual, then by logical extension, a man who gropes me by grabbing and squeezing my breasts is neither sexually harassing nor sexually assaulting me. That is why you will see a pretty expansive body of law on the topic of whether breasts are indeed sexual organs or whether they are mere mammary glands.
Very good point (and the rest of your post was spot on, too).

I do agree with ladyfreckles that the way people freak out over breasts sometimes in our culture is stupid and nuts, though.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #69
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Should also add, "grabbing" anyone where they do not want to be grabbed is assault, period. Being topless wouldn't change that, and the location of where you are grabbed should not change that either. I don't really think having a guy grab your breasts counts as sexual assault, it's more of an unwarranted advance (and yes, this has actually happened to me before). If the guy keeps bothering you after you tell him to bug off, it's harassment. There are plenty of people that have fetishes for non-sexual body parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
And our culture, which we base every other aspect of our lives on, deems breasts to be sexual. There's no point bringing up other cultures. We are our own culture. It doesn't make one right and the other wrong. They're just different. Breasts are absolutely sexual in our culture. And that's ok. Other cultures walk around with their dicks hanging out, but I don't see anyone fighting for that
This exact argument has been used to defend racism and slavery. Banning women from being topless in public, or breast feeding in public, is a sexist issue. As for the past 3,000 years thing in your other post, you are again wrong. Toplessness was actually a form of fashion back in the 1600s-1700s. Dresses were designed as such (this was regional, but it was in western culture). It wasn't until the 1800s that it started to be really looked down upon.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

This exact argument has been used to defend racism and slavery.
I refuse to engage in such hyperbole. Your argument just jumped off a bridge. I'll expect to see a Hitler reference in your next post
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
As for the past 3,000 years thing in your other post, you are again wrong. Toplessness was actually a form of fashion back in the 1600s-1700s. Dresses were designed as such (this was regional, but it was in western culture).
Site a source then.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
and the location of where you are grabbed should not change that either. I don't really think having a guy grab your breasts counts as sexual assault
So you're not going to distinguish between someone grabbing your arm and someone grabbing your breast for the sake of your argument? Ridiculous
Old 05-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
There are plenty of people that have fetishes for non-sexual body parts.
irrelevant. If we were to start catering to every fetish, you'd have to show ID to get into a shoe store
Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Banning women from being topless in public, or breast feeding in public, is a sexist issue.
There's nothing sexist about what we're talking about. Nobody is asking for a ban. But it doesn't mean we need to see a woman's baby slobbering all over her breasts when we're at the Olive Garden. Be discrete
Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #75
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono

Sure breastfeeding is beautiful and natural......and so is having sex - when will we see couples having sex on the cover of "Field and Stream"? Where will it end?
But it's only beautiful when you CHOOSE the opposite sex right?

So maybe the baby can CHOOSE not to eat?

Otherwise that would be a great analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono
Where's the modesty? Why can't the mothers drape a towel or blanket over themselves to cover up? It wasn't necessary for them to be vulgar to make a point.
Try eating under a blanket in the summer, and let me know how you enjoy it.