Tiger Just Needs To Convert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
What the? And why is he saying such things on the FOX News Sunday Morning show? Not to mention who is he to determine what anyone's faith should be, and which faith has any sort of superior powers of redemption and forgiveness? And yeah, if Tiger would just be a Christian the public would just forget it all and he'd be a great example to the world. I thought his advisers said he should go to a rehab for sex addiction for that purpose. So it's either that or convert, I guess..

I'm just dumbfounded by the arrogance and the religious implications-as if his Buddhism or any of his religious beliefs even have any relevance. And the clear implication that Christianity is superior-or that it's even relevant either.

Hume calls on Tiger Woods to be "a great example to the world" by converting to Christianity | Media Matters for America

Huffington Post

Fox News' Brit Hume gave Tiger Woods some personal advice Sunday morning, telling the scandal-plagued (and Buddhist) golfer to 'turn to Christianity' to make a full recovery.

On "Fox News Sunday," Hume — the former leader of Fox News' political reporting and host of "Special Report" who now serves as an analyst for the network — said that Woods' recovery "depends on his faith."

"The extent to which he can recover seems to me depends on his faith," Hume said. "He is said to be a Buddhist. I don't think that faith offers the kind of forgiveness and redemption that is offered by the Christian faith. My message to Tiger would, 'Tiger, turn to the Christian faith and you can make a total recovery and be a great example to the world."

In 2008, Woods told Reuters about his religious practices.

"I practice meditation," he said. "That is something that I do, that my mum taught me over the years. We also have a thing we do every year, where we go to temple together. In the Buddhist religion you have to work for it yourself, internally, in order to achieve anything in life and set up the next life. It is all about what you do and you get out of it what you put into it."

i think this is a great idea. it's been proven that Christians never sin, so this would be a great opportunity for Tiger.

i think this is a great idea. it's been proven that Christians never sin, so this would be a great opportunity for Tiger.

:lol:

Actually, they sin all the time, but then they are fogiven -- because they are Christians -- so doing whatever they want is JUST FINE!!!!! :D (my former neighbors were believers of that charming bit :crack: )

i Lol'd so hard, I nearly LOL'd in my pants..

Tigers solution is simple... Dont stick your dick in other women. Problem solved.

That was hillarious. Yeah, like Christianity solves it all.

How about some nice, scientifically proven to be effective, therapy? Nah, that's just for those sad creatures who don't believe. :rolleyes: Won't solve it as good as He does I guess.

Actually, they sin all the time, but then they are fogiven -- because they are Christians -- so doing whatever they want is JUST FINE!!!!! :D (my former neighbors were believers of that charming bit :crack: )

I'd like to think that sincere followers of Jesus would actually believe the opposite -- that a relationship with Christ means that we're supposed to be transformed. I find myself apologizing a whole lot more than my heathen brethren -- and more than a few fellow Christians.

And while Tiger may need to find a stronger belief system (the one he had clearly failed him), marital fidelity crosses religious lines.

And while Tiger may need to find a stronger belief system (the one he had clearly failed him)...

Would you tell a Christian horndog to "find a stronger belief system"? Or would you simply tell him to better practice the one he has?

As a Christian, I am embarrassed by what Hume said. Just what we need, more Christians like him to make us look bad. :|

Would you tell a Christian horndog to "find a stronger belief system"? Or would you simply tell him to better practice the one he has?

A lot of Christians would be better off with a different belief system.

What Brit Hume said is a realistic demonstration of what most Christians believe.

"Coming to Jesus, accepting Christ will wash away their sins and make them pure and give them everlasting life."

There are plenty of nominal people out there who are believers (of whatever religion) in name only; and there are plenty of people who are devout but for whom it's not working. Jesus once said that he did not come for the healthy, but the sick. Even he seemed to know that he wasn't for everyone, particularly for those who seemed to be getting along fine without him. Where Tiger qualifies is a bit above my pay grade, however, ditto his devotion to whatever faith journey he's on, and I certainly wouldn't take the Hume "just come to Jesus" line, as I don't think anything is ever that simple.

Might have been good advice at one time but this is 2010 and the quickest way to redemption now is to go on Oprah and cry like a baby.

omg the rebel from Nazareth will fix this, guys!!!1

I agree.
That rebel from Nazareth is going to fix the entire universe one happy day.

Contrary to what some assume here, I am not a fan of FoxNews.
Sometimes I think CNN gives a far more balanced view.

As a Libertarian, I have natural distrust of any major news media.

And while Tiger may need to find a stronger belief system (the one he had clearly failed him), marital fidelity crosses religious lines.

because the belief system failed, and not Tiger?

but, anyway, i care very little about this story. it seems to me to be perfectly expected that a spectacularly wealthy, highly disciplined child prodigy is going to have more than a few skeletons in his closet. it didn't surprise me that Michael Phelps smokes pot in the off season, nor does it surprise me that Tiger -- who had to present an image as squeaky clean as any megachurch pastor -- had a seedier second life. we do better trying to understand and then deal with our more negative impulses rather than ignore them and pretend they don't exist.

because the belief system failed, and not Tiger?[/q]

No doubt that Tiger failed. At the same time, if the moral compass that we rely on to point us towards True North doesn't work, there's a question of the value of whatever it is we're putting our faith in. But this is reading more into Tiger's situation than I'm comfortable with.

we do better trying to understand and then deal with our more negative impulses rather than ignore them and pretend they don't exist.[/q]

Don't disagree, and I think that faith is actually about contending with those impulses. The most genuine people I've encountered in my life have come to the realization that we need help with those negative impulses because, if left unchecked, they can consume us.

That was hillarious. Yeah, like Christianity solves it all.

How about some nice, scientifically proven to be effective, therapy? Nah, that's just for those sad creatures who don't believe. :rolleyes: Won't solve it as good as He does I guess.

I understand what you are saying. But I also think that one can be a Christian and still believe science can explain things, or in this situation, help someone.

I guess my point is this. I know plenty of people who say they have these "God" experiences where miracles happen. To me, I don't believe God reaches his hand down and helps only certain people and not others. I do believe adrenalin can kick in and help save people. Just like I don't think God fixes everything. Many situations need to also include therapy as you have said.

But!!! If one believes in God, can't one also say that God gave humans the ability to learn and use what they have learned help one another? I dunno...

Indra:
This is a good question. I think if I were to answer, the best I could say is that even if it were someone I knew well, I wouldn't tell him to better practice his belief system. I think of a great friend in general who has very different beliefs than I do. Conversations arise where I can share my point of view or what I believe, but in that same conversation, he too shares what he believes and neither of us tries to prove we are right and the other wrong.

In Tiger's case, I guess I too am a little different than a lot of Christians I know. I'm not stressing over the fact that Tiger had sex with other women. What bothers me is how he hurt his wife and family. But I don't think sex is the ultimate sin in the world, like some make it out to be.

Man I hope I didn't say anything dumb...

What's the religion that allows men to have a harem?

Christianity?

Zuma%20and%20wives.jpg

Politicsweb - FEATURES - Jacob Zuma and God

If the belief that the ANC is infallible is implicit in the thinking and writing of Thabo Mbeki, it is certainly explicitly on show for everyone to see when it comes to Jacob Zuma - an openly religious man who wears his Christianity on his sleeve. Indeed, in many respects, Jacob Zuma epitomises this argument.

Religion constitutes one of two central pillars around which Zuma's world view is shaped. In an interview in October 2006, Zuma described his philosophical outlook as follows: "I start from basic Christian principles. Christianity is part of what I am; in a way it was the foundation for all my political beliefs." The second pillar would be the ANC itself, to which Zuma remains absolutely devoted. As he put it to a crowd of ANC supporters in the Eastern Cape: "How can a person live, if not for the ANC?" For Zuma, these two forces are ever-present and never separate, the one constantly informing and defining the other.

Jacob Zuma weds third wife in traditional Zulu ceremony - Telegraph

Jacob Zuma, the South African president, formalised his marriage to his third wife during a traditional ceremony in his rural village in the province of KwaZulu-Natal on Monday amid reports that he plans to take a fourth bride later this year.

What do you consider "effective" therapy?

I would consider a therapy effective if it actually works. Sure, converting to christianism has saved some reborns, but that's mainly because they found something new in life to focus on. What I would say is more effective is first admitting you have a problem and then deal with it, rather than ignoring the problem and focussing on something else.

And Phil, I completely agree with what you said. I never meant to imply there's either Christianity or Science, sorry if I came across that way.

Why doesn't he build a compound near Waco where the women can live with him and worship him through sex.

Just avoid pissing off the ATF.

I would consider a therapy effective if it actually works. Sure, converting to christianism has saved some reborns, but that's mainly because they found something new in life to focus on. What I would say is more effective is first admitting you have a problem and then deal with it, rather than ignoring the problem and focussing on something else.

And Phil, I completely agree with what you said. I never meant to imply there's either Christianity or Science, sorry if I came across that way.

The problem is that most therapy (of any ilk) doesn't work. Statistically speaking. If therapy played for a major league baseball team, it wouldn't make it to the all-star game.

Look at the statistics from AA or NA or SAA or etc. They're pretty sad.

Tiger will stop putting on the practice green if he wants to. If not, there is no therapy, religious or otherwise, that will help him.

Back
Top Bottom