Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Sunni or later

Shia later.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"Those who fire on their own people will go down in history as leaders who feed on blood," warned Erdogan,
who also referred to Assad by his first name, a show of disrespect. "You are on the same path."
Turkey delivers blunt message to Syria's president - latimes.com
Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Syria defies Arab League deadline to admit observer mission

Does anyone have a clue what Assad's hoping to achieve with this? If his mission is to stay in power, alienating the Arab League can't be much help.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkOn21 View Post
Syria defies Arab League deadline to admit observer mission

Does anyone have a clue what Assad's hoping to achieve with this? If his mission is to stay in power, alienating the Arab League can't be much help.
He is just playing the engage, hold and wait game. The regime has an ally in Iran and has one of the best equipped military forces in the world. Nearly 5,000 tanks and 600 combat aircraft, most of it Russian made. He will count on Russia and China to veto any significant UN sanctions or actions. He is waiting for the resistence to lose steam and the worlds attention to turn elsewhere as it did with Iran in 2009.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #21
Refugee

Meanwhile, Russia puts its money where its mouth is:
Done deal: Russia supplies cruise missiles to Syria

While the EU, US, Arab League and Turkey have imposed arms embargoes on Syria, Russia continues to supply the country with arms, thereby making abundantly clear that it opposes foreign intervention in Syria.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Refugee

Syria: What the fuck is wrong with Al-Assad

Hey all! Just got back from Afghanistan, albeit quite early.. thanks to an IED that blew up my humvee. Got a broken leg, won't be walking for a while but the surgery did go well and the bones in my leg are more or less back together so I should be fine as soon as everything heals up! Anyways its good to be back!

I'm sure everyones aware of the situation thats been going on in Syria but I couldn't find any real discussion of it here. I find it quite sad that no ones really done anything to stop Al-Assad, though not suprising. The UN can't pass a resolution calling for him to step down, because China and Russia won't pass it. Because they're "allies." I guess 10,000 lives are worth that? Anyways here's an article:

Quote:
Syria, UN agree on observers for shaky truce

Syria and the United Nations signed a deal on Thursday on the framework for observers monitoring a shaky ceasefire, as Arab and Western ministers gathered in Paris to pile pressure on Damascus.

The UN Security Council, meanwhile, discussed plans to send an expanded military observer force to monitor the truce.

Syria's foreign ministry said the agreement "comes within the framework of Syrian efforts aimed at making the Annan plan succeed and to facilitate the UN observer mission while respecting Syria's sovereignty."

The spokesman for UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan, who drafted the six-point peace plan, confirmed in Geneva that a deal on the framework to deploy monitors had been reached.

"This agreement outlines the functions of the observers as they fulfil their mandate in Syria and the tasks and responsibilities of the Syrian government in this regard," Ahmad Fawzi said.

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said the Paris meeting, to be attended by 14 ministers including US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, would send a "strong" call to President Bashar al-Assad's regime to abide by the Annan plan.

But Syrian ally Russia said it was staying away because the talks were only aimed at isolating the regime and would hurt the chances of direct peace talks to find a political settlement between the regime and anti-Assad rebels.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon has said he wants 300 unarmed observers sent on a three-month mission.

Their job will be to monitor the fragile cessation of hostilities that began on April 12 and the implementation of the Annan plan, to which Syria has committed itself.

Ban said the proposed mission would "greatly contribute to observing and upholding the commitment of the parties to a cessation of armed violence in all its forms."

Diplomats said a resolution allowing the full observer mission could be ready early next week if there is agreement by the Security Council, which was briefed by Jean-Marie Guehenno, a deputy to Annan, behind closed doors on Thursday.

Monitors say that more than 11,000 people have been killed since the uprising against Assad's regime erupted in March 2011, with more than 120 dying since the truce came into force.

At least four people were killed in violence across Syria on Thursday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

One civilian died during an assault by government forces in the northeastern oil city of Deir Ezzor and three others from gunfire in the town of Yabrud, north of Damascus, the watchdog said.

Although he opted to stay away from the Paris meeting, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow was "honestly fulfilling its part" to end the violence.

"I have today called on my colleagues to abandon the rhetoric of self-fulfilling prophecies that Kofi Annan's plan will certainly fail," Lavrov said in Brussels.

In a counter-charge, Juppe said: "I regret that Russia continues to lock itself into a vision that isolates it more and more, not just from the Arab world but also from the international community."

Ministers from Germany, Turkey, Jordan, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and elsewhere were to attend the talks which would, Juppe said, send "a message of firmness and support for Kofi Annan."

Ban said on Wednesday that violence levels had "dropped markedly" since the ceasefire, but that the government "has yet to fully implement its initial obligations" for a withdrawal of troops and heavy armour from towns.

However, "an opportunity for progress may now exist, on which we need to build," he said.

A seven-strong advance team of UN military observers arrived in Damascus last Sunday. By the end of the week, their numbers are to swell to the 30 already authorised by the Security Council.

Ban said the team has so far been refused permission to go to Homs, with Syrian officials citing "security concerns."

The mission went to the revolt epicentre of Daraa on Tuesday, where "it enjoyed freedom of movement" and "observed no armed violence or heavy weapons," Ban said.

The official SANA news agency said the observers went to Daraa again on Thursday, even as the Syrian Observatory reported new clashes in the area.

Amateur videos posted online showed a UN vehicle surrounded by a crowd in the town of Khirbet Ghazaleh, Daraa province, chanting "freedom, freedom, down with the regime."

Ban said there were violent incidents when the UN observers went to Arbeen, in the Damascus suburbs, on Wednesday.
Syria, UN agree on observers for shaky truce - Yahoo! News

will it actually work this time?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Welcome back, and how you have a speedy recovery!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Hello Pac Mule

Everyday I read two newspapers, the attacks and casualties in Afghanistan are just terrible. I am sorry for your injury, hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

We do have a Syria thread, it is here

There Will Be Blood - Syria

perhaps this could be merged.

I do believe you are right, there will be no international action because of China and Russia.
Something to consider, do China or Russia want to support an uprising that can be stopped by repression.
Russia and China both have home-grown groups that can and have started their own 'Springs' or uprisings.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
Refugee

thanks BVS and deep. I didn't see that thread, probably cause I'm lazy and only looked on the first page lol.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

yes, this subject does keep sliding back, I read a lot of stuff on it everyday

I thought it would be bad when I started the thread, I think there will be a whole lot of blood, with no consensus on any action, a coup may be the only option, but that is not likely

do the power brokers, want a Sunni takeover in Syria, what would Iraq do?

Iran, Iraq, Russia are propping up Al-Assad.
China is a large country with many languages and cultures. There are many more areas, than just Tibet, that want autonomy and independence. I don't see China ever supporting action against Al-Assad. A similar situation exist in India, they don't have a veto, but my guess is they do not support action, also.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

God bless you and heal up soon.

I think you answered your question in the first line of your post, "thanks to an IED that blew up my humvee. Got a broken leg..."

We aren't going to Syria because of war fatigue. Even the neo-conservatives have put the war drums away. Until Israel attacks Iran later this year anyway.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Glad you are back. Thank you for your service!! Im very sorry for your injury....i hope and pray that you heal up fine and also that you never have to go back to Afghanistan.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Hey, welcome back! Sorry about your broken leg, but I'm glad to hear it's been treated and will be healing up-here's to a speedy recovery, then.

Can't wait for you to get back into the discussion around here .
Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There're now about 12 to 15,000 refugees in Kurdistan (North Iraq) and the number is growing rapidly. Here a small video from a local newspaper (in English): http://www.rudaw.net/english/multimedia/4618.html
Their situation is extremely bad. Besides having survived, they oftentimes lost everything. The men in many cases don't make it. Just women and children are let go.
We are currently in the process of gathering information to apply for funding so we can start a program to help these refugees, as well as Iranian refugees and internally displaced persons (IDP). The local government doesn't do a lot, to say the least, for fear of becoming too attractive and a backlash from the own citizens who might say "You do more for them than you do for us!"

A few weeks ago the Syrian army shot Syrians who had made it across the border into Turkey. Turkey immediately sent a warning that it will march in as to prevent another breach of sovereignty. The irony in it was, Turkey frequently bombs areas in Kurdistan, ignoring any sovereignty here, claiming they are targetting terrorists. The Syrian government itself declares everyone who is not actively supporting it a terrorist.