The world has never seen such freezing heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about actual footage of glaciers melting and polar bears slowly sinking into the arctic??? What about the facts of rising temperatures over centuries that Gore made known on An Inconvenient Truth??? They mean nothing now?

You don't believe that the planet is getting warmer?

Zoots, she was being sarcastic.

I live in the North now, and I can tell you that the difference has been striking. The locals here tell me that the climate is not what it used to be. Take that for what it's worth.

And the term global warming, in my opinion, shouldn't be taken literally. The real issue is climate change and we're going to see more wild fluctuations in weather patterns as time goes on.

:shrug:

I'm going to approach this with an open mind like I try to do with everything so we'll just have to see. The trailer is not very impressive.

The planet is on a warming trend in an icehouse world.

But the religiousity that accompanies the green movement is plain off-putting, energy consumption isn't an immortal sin and people shouldn't be guilt tripped over it. Especially when it is the middle class green conscious people who stick in a few CFL bulbs before flying off for a holiday while passing judgement on others.

I would love to see a world with far more energy use all over the place in 100 years time, but the means of energy production having less impact on the environment. That demands long term planning and investment and there are no sure bets at the moment.

I even used the word "epic," man.

I like polar bears enough.
knut.jpg

What an excuse to post a photo of Knut...

Even without anthropogenic climate change, the economical and geopolitical consequences of fossil fuels should be enough to move away from the stuff as soon as possible.

There is a climate change going on, but we're not going to be dead in 10 years because of it if we don't donate our income to all of Al Gore's causes. I'm positive there's a middle ground in there somewhere.

Oh my God, the winter can still be cold, there must not be any global warming. It was all lies, those facts! All of them!

Seriously, anyone who thinks a cold winter disproves global warming is an idiot.

Oh my God, the winter can still be cold, there must not be any global warming. It was all lies, those facts! All of them!

Seriously, anyone who thinks a cold winter disproves global warming is an idiot.
The same can't be said for those who assert a hot summer proves global warming.

The same can't be said for those who assert a hot summer proves global warming.

Just as absurd. The seasons will still be the seasons, regardless.

Things like general temperature increase, rising ocean levels, melting ice caps, increased hurricane strength, etc. ... those are what should be talked about.

The title of the Telegraph article is classic. When I saw it earlier I knew it would be posted on here before long and also knew who was most likely to post it.

It is very important in a free society to have people like Christopher Booker to present the contrarian view to the consensus.

Having said that he is probably wrong on this.

He can have one of my extra 'Anti-Propaganda Tin Foil Hats'
Although,methinks he's doing ok without one :)

Look, I think there are plenty of unknowns and there are legitimate questions to ask when confronted with theories surrounding anthropogenic climate change (though a lot less if people would actually bother to educate themselves on the subject. And if you think there's a point in saying it's a theory not a fact, you should start there). However, the notion that scientists, politicians and 'the green movement' are working together to suppress the people is absurd and everybody subscribing to it deserves to be mocked.

Look, I think there are plenty of unknowns and there are legitimate questions to ask when confronted with theories surrounding anthropogenic climate change (though a lot less if people would actually bother to educate themselves on the subject. And if you think there's a point in saying it's a theory not a fact, you should start there). However, the notion that scientists, politicians and 'the green movement' are working together to suppress the people is absurd and everybody subscribing to it deserves to be mocked.

I agree DrTeeth,

There are a plenty of unknowns and there are legiitmate questions.

The red flag, to me, was how quick so many people seemed to buy into global warming.

Being skeptical and questioning is a good thing.

I agree DrTeeth,

There are a plenty of unknowns and there are legiitmate questions.

The red flag, to me, was how quick so many people seemed to buy into global warming.

I don't really think it's been a quick process, there's been a growing body of knowledge, and increasing numbers of people acknowledging it for decades now.

Quick? Do you realize how long global warming theories have been around?

I think it's a red flag when folks think Al Gore was the first to talk about this...

Except if the only way you can substantiate your skepticism is through nonsense that conveniently conforms to your pre-existing worldview--thus negating the idea that you're questioning anything at all.

The only way this argument is going to receive less divisiveness is when scientists can actually understand the role of water vapour, the sun, and how much temperature variation depends on man produced C02 in comparison to those sources. Even man made global warming proponents admitted they are still working on the effects of water vapour on the IQ squared debate:

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Introduction, part 1 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Richard Lindzen, part 2 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Richard Somerville, part 3 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Michael Crichton, part 4 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Gavin Schmidt, part 5 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Philip Stott, part 6 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Brenda Ekwurzel, part 7 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Q&A 1, part 8 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Q&A 2, part 9 of 10

YouTube - Global Warming Debate - Q&A 3, part 10 of 10

In the mean time politicians will pay lip service to the problem to avoid political unpopularity. Canadians are not going to let their pipes freeze in order to reduce C02 footprints. You know there will be compromises.

The Harper government is terrible on this. Just terrible.

I don't expect them to last longer than about 2.5 years though so the continuing damage should be minimal.

Back
Top Bottom