The Truth, Still Inconvenient - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 01:33 PM
The people who are telling you that there is no global warming are the same people who say fracking is safe. That is no coincidence.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
The people who are telling you that there is no global warming are the same people who say fracking is safe. That is no coincidence.


And the people who are telling you global warming is real are the same
people who will read the article you posted and not think beyond their
preconcieved agenda.
__________________

__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #228
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 01:33 PM
The people who are telling others that global warming is real are people who are basing it off research collected legitimately. Those who say it is not real are basing it off illegitimate research.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
The people who are telling others that global warming is real are people who are basing it off research collected legitimately. Those who say it is not real are basing it off illegitimate research.

That is your opinion. I guess we could go on and on with a tit
for tat, but it would not presuade either of us.


I'm cutting firewood in the morning. The world will not end.
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #230
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 01:33 PM
I'm driving out in the woods in my SUV to cut firewood, fishing with my bare hands, and then cooking said fish by fire whilst smoking Lucky Strikes. Will there be raw milk? Oh yes. Bible readings? YOU BET!
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I'm driving out in the woods in my SUV to cut firewood, fishing with my bare hands, and then cooking said fish by fire whilst smoking Lucky Strikes. Will there be raw milk? Oh yes. Bible readings? YOU BET!

Sounds like a good weekend to me.





Take care
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #232
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,495
Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
That is your opinion.

no. it's not an opinion. it is a fact.

Quote:
I guess we could go on and on with a tit
for tat, but it would not presuade either of us.
it wouldn't be tit for tat. he would be right, and you would be wrong, but you would pretend like you each have a legitimate viewpoint but in reality you don't and he does, because the overwhelming scientific research is on his side and not yours. you're assuming that there's equal validity to your opposing viewpoints, but there isn't. there's not an opinion to be had on science.

it's like you're saying, "well, it's just your opinion that the world is round."
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #233
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
no. it's not an opinion. it is a fact.



the overwhelming scientific research is on his side and not

it's like you're saying, "well, it's just your opinion that the world is round."
At one point in life, the overwhelming "scientific research" said that the world was indeed flat. JUST SAYING
__________________
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #234
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 01:33 PM
Yes, our science today is very comparable to the science they had in the eleventh century. That is an outstanding retort.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #235
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan
Yes, our science today is very comparable to the science they had in the eleventh century. That is an outstanding retort.
Can we firmly, without a doubt, say that our science today is completely accurate? Eh. Probably a debate for another time.

I really wasn't trying to use that to refute global warming. Honestly, I don't know that much about the scientific facts behind it. It seems plausible; it certainly agrees with the Second Law of Thermodynamics. I'm not sold on whether humans massly contribute to it or not yet, however.
__________________
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 11:33 AM
I wish the left would get irritated more about windfarms than just fracking.

Wildlife Extra News - Massive bird kill at US wind farm

Quote:
More than 2,000 golden eagles killed
At the end of September, at the Mount Storm facility in the Allegheny Mountains, 59 birds and two bats were killed in one evening. Thirty of the dead birds were found near a single wind turbine that was reported to have had internal lighting left on overnight. This incident stands in stark contrast to industry assertions that just two birds per year are killed on average by each turbine. Data from Altamont Pass, California wind farms - the most studied in the nation - suggest that more than 2,000 golden eagles alone have been killed there.

'The good news is that it shouldn't be hard to make changes that will keep these sorts of unnecessary deaths from happening again, but it's disturbing that they happened at all. It has long been known that many birds navigate by the stars at night, that they normally fly lower during bad weather conditions, and that artificial light can draw them off course and lead to fatal collision events.
Based on this I call an end to windfarms

I love this "not in my backyard" retort:

Britain’s Prince Philip blasts high-cost wind farm industry as ‘useless’ | Full Comment | National Post

Quote:
Even Prince Charles, usually supportive of whatever environmental position is the cause of the day, considers wind turbines “a blot on the landscape” and thinks they should only be built well out to sea where they can’t bother anyone.
You can demonize any position but ultimately people want a good standard of living and cheap energy.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #237
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 12:33 PM
The wind farms in west Texas are amazing, the design of the blades don't spin fast enough to kill anything. The investment has already paid for itself, ahead of schedule. It's profitable, cheap, and powering big chunks of Texas, and they're not even done.

It's the kind of success story conservatives like to sweep under the rug.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #238
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse

That is your opinion.
No, you base your stance on this issue on opinion, but the rest of us look at facts.

You have never once posted a fact based article on this topic; you've posted opinion pieces, you've said Jesus wouldn't allow it, and once you even posted a poll that proved to be a fraud.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 AM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Kieran McConville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auto Dafoe
Posts: 9,600
Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
At one point in life, the overwhelming "scientific research" said that the world was indeed flat. JUST SAYING
No it didn't. Ancient navigators in Phonecian times implicitly understood the Earth to be a globe.

The cosmological controversies (the dominant Aristotilean worldview embraced by medieval European Christendom) that got Galilleo into so much trouble implicitly understood the Earth to be a globe. The question was whether the entire surrounding universe orbited it embedded in a series of crystalline spheres, or whether (as proved the case) we were the ones orbiting a greater body (the sun).

----------

There's certainly no cause for the scientists (or more accurately, philosophers) of the eleventh century or earlier to suck up to us; they did very, very well with the information available to them. But that's an aside for another day.
__________________
Kieran McConville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #240
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
No it didn't. Ancient navigators in Phonecian times implicitly understood the Earth to be a globe.

The cosmological controversies (the dominant Aristotilean worldview embraced by medieval European Christendom) that got Galilleo into so much trouble implicitly understood the Earth to be a globe. The question was whether the entire surrounding universe orbited it embedded in a series of crystalline spheres, or whether (as proved the case) we were the ones orbiting a greater body (the sun).

----------

There's certainly no cause for the scientists (or more accurately, philosophers) of the eleventh century or earlier to suck up to us; they did very, very well with the information available to them. But that's an aside for another day.
Oops I stand corrected!
__________________

__________________
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com