The Truth, Still Inconvenient - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #196
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 09:42 AM
WOW
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:39 AM   #197
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,874
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Actually it's more like "please discover what is human and what is nature" regarding temperatures and then create climate models that actually predict the climate much better because of the improved data. Recycling old data and then claiming skeptics shouldn't be skeptical anymore when these fundamental parts aren't answered doesn't move the argument anywhere. Skeptics don't deny that we recovered temperatures since the little ice age. It would be a "straw man" argument since all the temperature data show an increase since the 1800s. We question how much of it is man made and if there is some man made influence (there must be some) is it really threatening or something we can deal with? Until these questions are answered with more certainty we end up with alarmism again and end of the world scenarios.
The difference is that only the skeptics think they haven't been answered. Everyone else sees the answers you claim aren't there. You don't. It's not alarmism. Nobody wants us to be fucking the climate up. What good does that do me? Nothing. It's just the reality. There is damn clear science that shows this is happening. People who ignore it are people who either want to maintain their lifestyle guilt free or don't like it simply because they don't like the other politics of those who acknowledge it. People who would believe in climate change if the wrong people didn't side with those who say we need to get our shit together. "Oh, here go those hippie liberals again!"

Trying to frame the argument as "us saying everything is man made climate change" is just distracting horseshit, and you know it. Making us devote time and energy to explaining that is the goal, and unfortunately, it's working.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #198
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Trying to frame the argument as "us saying everything is man made climate change" is just distracting horseshit, and you know it. Making us devote time and energy to explaining that is the goal, and unfortunately, it's working.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #199
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
The difference is that only the skeptics think they haven't been answered. Everyone else sees the answers you claim aren't there. You don't. It's not alarmism. Nobody wants us to be fucking the climate up. What good does that do me? Nothing. It's just the reality. There is damn clear science that shows this is happening. People who ignore it are people who either want to maintain their lifestyle guilt free or don't like it simply because they don't like the other politics of those who acknowledge it. People who would believe in climate change if the wrong people didn't side with those who say we need to get our shit together. "Oh, here go those hippie liberals again!"

Trying to frame the argument as "us saying everything is man made climate change" is just distracting horseshit, and you know it. Making us devote time and energy to explaining that is the goal, and unfortunately, it's working.
Antarctic and Arctic ice is not rapidly disappearing

Antarctic Ice Above Normal 83% Of The Time Since Mid-2007 | Real Science

Polar bears are doing okay

Polar bears not at risk: Nunavut - North - CBC News

Why is sea level slowing down and even dropping?

Hiding The Inconvenient Satellite | Real Science

Why aren't we getting more hurricanes as per Al Gore?

World Climate Report � Western Pacific Hurricanes Declining?

US Hurricane Strikes In Sharp Decline | Real Science

Why are droughts treated with alarmism when worse scenarios happened in the recent past with less CO2 in the atmosphere?

Seth Borenstein Displays His Spectacular Ignorance Once Again | Real Science

This is just a sample. So NO I'm not trying to ignore it. They haven't been able to pin-point human versus natural influence. Once the BEST studies get analyzed I'm sure that there will be weaknesses and further studies will be needed.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/10/2...en-pal-review/

The temperature on earth has never had a stable "belle epoque" that was just recently turned into "climate disruption". This kind of Golden Age thinking is natural for humans but we have to do our due diligence before we spend trillions of dollars. The fact that you posters look at people trying to protect their lifestyle when there's a shitty economy and people out of work shows that you'll only have alarmism becuase nobody in their right mind would damage their lifestyle for a small human factor that can be lived with. It has to be end of the world scenarios or else why would anyone pay more taxes? Do you expect anyone to believe you are willing to sacrifice your lifestyle anymore than anyone else? The public is not going to stand by and watch green workers live it up while the increased energy costs reduce the size of the middle class.
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #200
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 11:42 AM
I'm amazed at the conservative petty hatred for Al Gore and the need to constantly take pot shots at his chubby visage,

He's one guy who had the Presidency voter-frauded away from him and made a documentary. Get over it.
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #201
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Antarctic and Arctic ice is not rapidly disappearing

Antarctic Ice Above Normal 83% Of The Time Since Mid-2007 | Real Science

Polar bears are doing okay

Polar bears not at risk: Nunavut - North - CBC News

Why is sea level slowing down and even dropping?

Hiding The Inconvenient Satellite | Real Science

Why aren't we getting more hurricanes as per Al Gore?

World Climate Report � Western Pacific Hurricanes Declining?

US Hurricane Strikes In Sharp Decline | Real Science

Why are droughts treated with alarmism when worse scenarios happened in the recent past with less CO2 in the atmosphere?

Seth Borenstein Displays His Spectacular Ignorance Once Again | Real Science

This is just a sample. So NO I'm not trying to ignore it. They haven't been able to pin-point human versus natural influence. Once the BEST studies get analyzed I'm sure that there will be weaknesses and further studies will be needed.

BEST: What I agree with and what I disagree with – plus a call for additional transparency to prevent “pal” review | Watts Up With That?

The temperature on earth has never had a stable "belle epoque" that was just recently turned into "climate disruption". This kind of Golden Age thinking is natural for humans but we have to do our due diligence before we spend trillions of dollars. The fact that you posters look at people trying to protect their lifestyle when there's a shitty economy and people out of work shows that you'll only have alarmism becuase nobody in their right mind would damage their lifestyle for a small human factor that can be lived with. It has to be end of the world scenarios or else why would anyone pay more taxes? Do you expect anyone to believe you are willing to sacrifice your lifestyle anymore than anyone else? The public is not going to stand by and watch green workers live it up while the increased energy costs reduce the size of the middle class.


__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #202
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:42 AM


Time to change your catastrophic greenhouse gas rhetoric from "global warming" to "climate change" once again.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #203
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 11:42 AM
Hey, guys, it snowed yesterday.

LOL guess the long-term trend is over!

Phew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post


Time to change your catastrophic greenhouse gas rhetoric from "global warming" to "climate change" once again.
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #204
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 893
Local Time: 11:42 AM
Are you a happy man, Canadiens?
__________________
Dfit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 AM   #205
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 11:42 AM
Very
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Uh oh: It was the BEST of times, it was the worst of times | Watts Up With That?

Oops. Possible changes for peer review:

Quote:
[Curry] ‘I agree that the way the data is presented in the graph “hides the decline.”‘ and adds, “I thought the project was a great idea, and I still do, but it currently has a tarnish on it. Lets see what we can do about this.”


Quote:
Prof McKittrick added: ‘The fact is that many of the people who are in a position to provide informed criticism of this work are currently bound by confidentiality agreements.

‘For the Berkeley team to have chosen this particular moment to launch a major international publicity blitz is a highly unethical sabotage of the peer review process.’
__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,251
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Fred Singer: Why I Remain a Global-Warming Skeptic - WSJ.com
__________________
the iron horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,983
Local Time: 10:42 AM
November 02, 2011|Seth Borenstein, Associated Press

For a world already weary of weather catastrophes, the latest warning from top climate scientists paints a grim future: More floods, more heat waves, more droughts and greater costs to deal with them.

A draft summary of an international scientific report says the extremes caused by global warming could eventually grow so severe that some locations become "increasingly marginal as places to live."

The report from the Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change marks a change in climate science, from focusing on subtle shifts in average temperatures to concentrating on the harder-to-analyze freak events that grab headlines, hurt economies and kill people.

"The extremes are a really noticeable aspect of climate change," said Jerry Meehl, senior scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. "I think people realize that the extremes are where we are going to see a lot of the impacts of climate change."

The final version of the report from a panel of leading climate scientists will be issued in a few weeks, after a meeting in Uganda. The draft says there is at least a 2-in-3 probability that climate extremes have already worsened because of man-made greenhouse gases.

By the end of the century, the intense, single-day rainstorms that typically happen once every 20 years will probably happen about twice a decade, the report said.

The opposite type of disaster - a drought such as the stubbornly long dry spell gripping Texas and parts of the Southwest - could also happen more often as the world warms, said Meehl, who reviewed part of the climate panel report.

Researchers have also predicted more intense monsoons with climate change. Warmer air can hold more water and impart more energy to weather systems, changing the dynamics of storms and where and how they hit.

The panel was formed by the United Nations and World Meteorological Organization.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
November 02, 2011|The report from the Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change marks a change in climate science, from focusing on subtle shifts in average temperatures to concentrating on the harder-to-analyze freak events that grab headlines, hurt economies and kill people.
In other words, let's exploit modern electronic media, the hysteria machine that is 24 hour cable news and the human impulse to think history begins the day you were born.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #210
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,486
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
In other words, let's exploit modern electronic media, the hysteria machine that is 24 hour cable news and the human impulse to think history begins the day you were born.


what an apt description of the GOP.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com