The Thought Conditioners - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:56 AM
I think it's a fair question to ask whether it's worth putting up public campaigns targeted against somebody like Eich. To me, it seems like kind of a waste of time, energy and political capital, but then again I don't really have a horse in the race so my opinion only carries so much weight.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think it's a fair question to ask whether it's worth putting up public campaigns targeted against somebody like Eich. To me, it seems like kind of a waste of time, energy and political capital, but then again I don't really have a horse in the race so my opinion only carries so much weight.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I can understand publicity campaigns against someone like Truett Cathy, who used Chick-fil-a to broadcast anti-SSM messages very vocally. But I imagine that the corporate world is littered with people like Eich, who are against SSM privately, and perhaps donate to causes against it, but don't use their corporate position to broadcast their views to the world. Eich's views were publicly exposed, but I can't imagine that publicly exposing everyone like Eich, and then running publicity campaigns against each and every one of them, would be terribly productive. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Was there really that much of a campaign? I know eHarmony posted something on their site encouraging users to use other browsers, but that's about all I know.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #34
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i had also seen an article on facebook that okcupid had a message pop up for its users logging in via firefox announcing their...displeasure of the guy, i guess you could say. i'm not sure if they outright blocked firefox users from continuing to use the site, but they definitely at least made them aware of what was going on.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I'm going to go slightly against the grain here. I don't agree with Eich's beliefs at all, but is the answer to run anyone out of town who says things we don't like? As far as gay marriage, that war has been waged, and frankly, people like Eich already lost, despite their continued protestations. The tide has turned and their viewpoint is quickly turning into a minority one.

Do we pro-SSM people want to run everyone out of town/office/their job who doesn't agree with us? Is that progress?

Diemen is on target with what I am trying to say.

"...is the answer to run anyone out of town who says things we don't like?"

Are we so willing to embrace a society that censors minority views?

Also, to correct some misinformation:

He donated the money without making a big to do about it and the donation was
1,000 dollars not 10,000.

From the article:

Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich resigned under pressure after gay rights activists demanded that he step down or recant his support of traditional marriage laws.

Eich donated $1,000 to support Proposition 8, the California ballot initiative that amended the state's constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

"I don't want to talk about my personal beliefs because I kept them out of Mozilla all these 15 years we've been going,” Eich told The Guardian. “I don't believe they're relevant.”
Old 04-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Hahahaha this is such bullshit. I am on my phone so I want to ask the reliability of the Washington Examiner. It says "traditional marriage" in the title and "religious beliefs" in the article so I assume it is a fucking rag.

the Washington Examiner is a free, right wing rag passed out on the DC metro and targeted at minority audiences. it features lots of "articles" by people like Byron York, Mona Charen, Phillis Schafley, Michelle Malkin, etc.

it makes the NRO look intellectual.

as for this bru-ha-ha, i have mixed feelings. i don't think someone should lose their job over a political decision, particularly one that was held 6 years ago and has been overturned.

yet, if this guy came out against interracial marriage, he would have been forced to resign.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Do you know what censorship is?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Pretty much the gold standard for corporations!

which are people too! with free speech and religious convictions!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Diemen is on target with what I am trying to say.

"...is the answer to run anyone out of town who says things we don't like?"

Also, to correct some misinformation:

He donated the money without making a big to do about it and the donation was
1,000 dollars not 10,000.

From the article:

Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich resigned under pressure after gay rights activists demanded that he step down or recant his support of traditional marriage laws.

Eich donated $1,000 to support Proposition 8, the California ballot initiative that amended the state's constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

"I don't want to talk about my personal beliefs because I kept them out of Mozilla all these 15 years we've been going,” Eich told The Guardian. “I don't believe they're relevant.”

did you read what was said? this was a financial decision made about the best financial interests of the company. this happens all the time. you can dislike it, but if the CEO of Wal-Mart gave $1000 to a local chapter of the KKK, would you expect everyone to nod and say, "well, those are just his views, he's got a right to them." he does have a right to those views. he doesn't have the right to be free from the consequences of holding views. if he really believes in second class citizenship for gay people, is he not willing to resign his job over these deeply held, sincere convictions?

i'm sorry that you can no longer kick the gays and not get any blowback, and i'm also sorry that the gays are now incredibly well organized, funded, and politically astute that they can advance their interests as well as any other group in America.

i also don't think that quoting that "article" from the WE really helps your case. i suggest you do some wider reading, that will probably help you understand the situation better.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #40
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
as for this bru-ha-ha, i have mixed feelings. i don't think someone should lose their job over a political decision, particularly one that was held 6 years ago and has been overturned.

yet, if this guy came out against interracial marriage, he would have been forced to resign.
That's pretty much where I'm at. I don't know that we need an organized campaign to oust everyone who holds odious views, but at the same time, if those views are such that, if made public they would anger a large portion of your shareholders, then hey, maybe you should be more careful what you donate your money and time to. Andrew Sullivan has gone ape shit over it, decrying it as liberal McCarthyism and only digging his heels in further when readers have dissented. I generally like Sullivan and find his viewpoint and willingness to air dissent refreshing, but boy, when he gets a stick in his craw he can be insufferable.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

It also wasn't organized by GLAAD or anything. It was the company and customers.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
From the article:

I have lived in CA my whole life, I voted no on Prop 8 in 2008. I do remember the campaign. I didn't like parents bringing their kids to hold up signs at intersections on street corners that said 'Save our families, vote yes on 8".

All that said, I think OKCupid is wrong and Sullivan is right, persecuting this man because he supported 8 is wrong. Is it the donation that was wrong, what if he only had a bumper sticker that said 'vote yes on 8'? It seems it is his support in 2008 that they are upset about. Has he done anything or said anything while acting as CEO against same sex rights? I have not heard anything along those lines.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The Hounding Of A Heretic « The Dish

From the link posted:

"Will he now be forced to walk through the streets in shame? Why not the stocks? The whole episode disgusts me – as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society. If this is the gay rights movement today – hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else – then count me out. If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us."
Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

The Thought Conditioners

But that's not what happened! :facepalm:

Ironically you're falling for the conditioning...
Old 04-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
But that's not what happened! :facepalm:

Ironically you're falling for the conditioning...

Please inform me as to what really happened.

What is the truth?