'The sexual revolution killed my sister': Author Martin Amis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
They were decades which heralded a culture of 'free love'. But for Martin Amis, the culture shift of the 1960s and 1970s has a darker legacy: the death of his sister Sally.

The author spoke in depth yesterday for the first time about his sister, who died aged 46 in 2000, and blamed her descent into alcoholism and depression on the 'free love' culture of her youth.

And he said the impact of the sexual revolution was still felt today, claiming: 'It is astonishingly difficult to find a decent deal between men and women and we haven't found it yet.'

Of his sister, Amis said: 'She died at the age of 46, not of anything sudden; she was one of the most spectacular victims of the revolution. It would have needed the Taliban to protect her.
'She was pathologically promiscuous. She really had the mental age of someone who was 12 or 13 and I think she was terrified.

'I think what she was doing was seeking protection from men, but it went the other way, she was often beaten up, abused and she simply used herself up.'

Read more: 'The sexual revolution killed my sister': Author Martin Amis says sex before marriage caused her alcoholism and depression | Mail Online

And he said the impact of the sexual revolution was still felt today, claiming: 'It is astonishingly difficult to find a decent deal between men and women and we haven't found it yet.'

Considering divorce rates, this is a valid observation. The rest of it is a bit ridiculous.

Hippies, free love, Woodstock.....a little before my time. Though, growing up and coming of age, during the seventies. Not everyone was sleeping around or doing illegal drugs. I certainly wasn't. Most of us did have some common sense. High unemployment (around 10 percent) for the working class, we still had low paying jobs and managed to put ourselves through college.

The Hippie or Baby Bummer generation is at least ten years older than me. So glad, I wasn't a part of it.

We kid ourselves there's future in the fucking
But there is no fucking future

Back
Top Bottom