Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

How about one that you already conceded to; education?
You mean the one that leads people further from religion and toward rational thought? You're supporting my argument with that one. Any more?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I'm supposed to pretend it's not bullshit? It's not my problem if people are offended by that.
I'm with Diemen on this. Most people wouldn't discuss anything with someone who gets rude during discussion. Put it this way, would you want to discuss religion with someone who thinks atheism/agnosticism is bullshit and uses the same tone as you do?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #108
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
You mean the one that leads people further from religion and toward rational thought?
And now we have come full circle to see the real reason for your thread. Your pretending to truly "engage" was so completely disingenuous.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #109
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I'm with Diemen on this. Most people wouldn't discuss anything with someone who gets rude during discussion. Put it this way, would you want to discuss religion with someone who thinks atheism/agnosticism is bullshit and uses the same tone as you do?
I'd be fine with that. I assume that most religious people think atheism is bullshit, whether they phrase it that way or not. And every religious person thinks every other religion is bullshit, whether they phrase it that way or not. If you're secure in your position, you won't be offended.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And now we have come full circle to see the real reason for your thread. Your pretending to truly "engage" was so completely disingenuous.

What does this even mean? What is my "real reason for this thread"? My position is coherent, rational, consistent, and completely genuine (how many of those can you check off?). I guess it's an easy out for you though, so see ya. Good job not proving (or even having, it seems) any point whatsoever. At least now you get to pretend that you're leaving having done so.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
I'd be fine with that. I assume that most religious people think atheism is bullshit, whether they phrase it that way or not. And every religious person thinks every other religion is bullshit, whether they phrase it that way or not. If you're secure in your position, you won't be offended.
OK, but who really likes abrasiveness during discussions? Even the most staunch atheist can be considerate with tone and language, and see that rudeness creates a split between the those involved - as a sort of us vs. them.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #112
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
OK, but who really likes abrasiveness during discussions? Even the most staunch atheist can be considerate with tone and language, and see that rudeness creates a split between the those involved - as a sort of us vs. them.
In my defense, my language is fairly consistent in all parts of the forum
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 AM
a change in style
could alleviate the need for a defense.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not going to change my style depending on the topic. That would be dishonest
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 AM
I modify /make changes from time to time.

What's honest and dishonest, that's kind of funny.

I used to think my style defined me.
A style is no more a person than an opinion, they can and should be changed, when better ones are available.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #116
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not going to stop using naughty words because I'm writing about religion (I only used the word style because you did). I'm not defined by it; I'm just not going to edit myself.

I agree with your last point completely
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #117
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
I'm not going to change my style depending on the topic. That would be dishonest
It might help changing your overall style in FYM at least. It wouldn't be dishonest to try to be more patient with people who don't share your viewpoint.

I mean, what incentive is there for someone with a different position than you to engage you in discussion about religion if you're just going to shoot them down, insult their intelligence and call their belief system bullshit?

It's a shitty way to treat others. Probably because you don't have a good set of religious morals.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

whon whonnnnnn

I get frustrated when people refuse to address any real points and are more interested in making the same baseless declarations about their own stance (which would be fine if they weren't masquerading as someone interested in actual debate). You can see that this thread started off on a reasonable note. I'm more than happy to have a civil discussion with anyone about anything. But the mere act of criticizing religion puts people on the defensive and I refuse to pussy foot around it. You'll also see that I wasn't the one to deal the first insult. People decide for themselves how they're going to be treated. I'm happy to deal with them that way (I know what you think about that ). But I'm more happy when they see themselves out of the conversation (even if it takes some faux, insincere 'victory' by them first) so civil conversation can resume.

My point is this: If I were to say current gun laws are bullshit, nobody would bat an eye. If I were to say the conservative party's platform in this country is bullshit, nobody would get all uppity. On principle alone, I refuse to treat religion with a disproportionate amount of respect. Besides, I think I was able to make it to page 2 without any swears

I will try to be more Sam Harris, less Christopher Hitchens (minus the intellect), but I can't make any promises
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:32 PM
I could care less about the tone, although, be abrasive and expect the same in return. But it's the intellectual dishonesty that annoys me. In this one instance I am with BVS: fundamentalism doesn't mean what you insist it means and so the whole discussion is off at cross-purposes right there.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I could care less about the tone, although, be abrasive and expect the same in return. But it's the intellectual dishonesty that annoys me. In this one instance I am with BVS: fundamentalism doesn't mean what you insist it means and so the whole discussion is off at cross-purposes right there.
I'm not being intellectually dishonest. Nothing I ever say is dishonest. I'm not a bullshitter. But go ahead an define fundamentalism as you see it.

And you couldn't care less *bwink*