Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #301
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I thought this article was compelling in that it shows how any religion can spawn extremism under certain influences:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/wo...emc=rss&src=ig
Interesting article. Not sure I have anything constructive to add, but it's sad that a religion most people would associate with peacefulness is reduced to this

Old 06-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #302
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post
It doesn't say that in the Dictionary, only on Wikipedia, which in terms of accuracy isn't as reliable.

spiritualism |ˈspiri ch oōəˌlizəm|
noun
1 a system of belief or religious practice based on supposed communication with the spirits of the dead, esp. through mediums.
2 Philosophy the doctrine that the spirit exists as distinct from matter, or that spirit is the only reality.

From my computer's dictionary. I don't trust it as much as the heavy Chambers English Dictionary on my bookshelf, but I can't be arsed to get it right now.

According to Wikipedia atheism is compatible with neo-Paganism, Jainism and Buddhism. I don't know what Jainism is , it's another thing I need to look up. My friend doesn't believe in Christianity, yet she's into Wicca.

A book I found in our shop: The Violence Of God & The War On Terror, by Jeremy Young, who's an Anglican Priest believe it or not. He argues that the image of God encourages violence.
You're probably being too ridged in your defining of "spiritual". If you want to know if atheists believe in the supernatural, that should be self evident.... thought having just written that, I suppose it isn't always the case, but more often than not.

If you're asking whether religion has a monopoly on transcendent, reflective thought, the answer is no. I would argue that the 'spirituality' of atheism is truer to the nature of reality and much more useful

Old 06-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #303
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 08:50 AM
But aren't both the 'supernatural' and the 'transcendent' mean something that is unexplainable by certainly current Scientific terms? They both mean beyond physical reality?

I have heard of a few atheists who do believe in pantheism and souls. Hence why I am confused and only trying to understand
Old 08-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #304
ONE
love, blood, life

Just the fringe

Are Muslim Extremists Invading Britain - YouTube
Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #305
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:50 AM
^^^

I don't understand why the UK let these people get away with what they say and their protests. I heard its all freedom of speech, but those extremists are abusing the privilege. Why not just deport them if they hate Britain and the British people? The UK government are looking like fools allowing those people to live, work and even live off the dole, yet they preach hatred for their country and people.

And supposedly those extremists are breeding like rabbits. So I guess the concern that Britain will become a caliphate isn't really irrational, right?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #306
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Should the UK deport all Muslims?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #307
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Should the UK deport all Muslims?
Did I say specifically that? No. I'm pretty sure my post indicated extremist Muslims.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #308
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Extend that to all religious extremists and I would agree.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #309
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Extend that to all religious extremists and I would agree.
Fair enough.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:50 AM
Since we were talking about Chris Hitchens in another thread, I thought it would be interesting to hear what he has to say about the current Western Civilization struggles with Islam...

Hitchens '09: Don't Bow to Islam - YouTube
Old 08-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Yes, but is it fair to consider Hitchens opinions about Islam credible?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #312
ONE
love, blood, life

Why wouldn't it be?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #313
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:50 AM
It seems Aeon, U2man and a few others think Reza Azlan can not write a credible book about Jesus of Nazareth, that is Jesus the man.

I don't recall you having that opinion.

Ironically, if Hitchens were alive I believe he would find much of the book credible as I believe most Jewish scholars would and most secular people with no axe to grind.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #314
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
It seems Aeon, U2man and a few others think Reza Azlan can not write a credible book about Jesus of Nazareth, that is Jesus the man.

I don't recall you having that opinion.

Ironically, if Hitchens were alive I believe he would find much of the book credible as I believe most Jewish scholars would and most secular people with no axe to grind.
Oh, ok, I see why you made that comment now. I kinda made a point about the Azlan thing, but I'm not sure anyone responded (I probably agree with you on that one)
Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #315
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

In regards to the Hitchens video, it is appalling that any criticism of Islam is considered hate speech. I get it that in Muslim countries, it is illegal to do that, so immigrants from those countries have problems in Europe, US, Canada and elsewhere because they're not used to it.

But it is ridiculous that some people are afraid of saying anything critical of Islam, especially in regards to extremist Muslims. If what Hitchens said is true that school children can't be taught The Three Little Pigs story, than that is irrational. And I was shocked when Archbishop Rowan Williams actually suggested that Sharia law be part of British law.

People like that are bowing down to radicals who only intend to hurt others. They are not the peaceful Muslims who live and let live. These want to force convert and set up caliphates. As a result, anyone who is overly defensive and apologetic toward radical Islam look like cowards and wimps, and those extremists are laughing their heads off. Bowing down to radical Islam also kind of confirms to extremists that their way is superior because it can get weak people to defend them.

I just don't understand why some people are willing to defend these extremists. They wouldn't defend neo-Nazis, Westboro Baptist Church, Hindu nationalists and so on. But they would stand up for those who wish death to anyone who mildly criticizes Islam.