The Religion of Peace? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 09:32 AM
I believe God does help you out because I've felt that myself.

But there are times when God believes you can do it yourself, because He has faith in you.
__________________

__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #182
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,435
Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I don't think Buddhists believe in a divine being, for one (correct me if I'm wrong...iYup?).
Like Pearl said, I think this varies by region and sect. Buddhism in its original form certainly did not promote a bearded old guy sort of divinity, but in China and Tibet, the bodhisattva figures and Buddha himself start to become supernatural, for lack of a better term.
__________________

__________________
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #183
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,858
Local Time: 08:32 AM
I cannot understand any belief in an intervening God. That makes less than no sense to me.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #184
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,503
Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
install a communist state. .

]

People who use that kind of verbiage, and the sheep who swallow it, should be beaten with a heavy book (don't really care of you use a bible or a copy of das kapital, both are usually hefty enough to do the trick) because it reveals such a base misunderstanding of communism vs totalitarianism that should automatically render any further argument utterly useless, completely independent of political affinities. Funny story, they aren't actually the same thing. I know this is usually Vlad territory, because he's the one who consistently points out that bit, but it drives me a little crazy as well. And I don't even call myself a communist.
__________________
IWasBored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #185
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
People who use that kind of verbiage, and the sheep who swallow it, should be beaten with a heavy book (don't really care of you use a bible or a copy of das kapital, both are usually hefty enough to do the trick) because it reveals such a base misunderstanding of communism vs totalitarianism that should automatically render any further argument utterly useless, completely independent of political affinities. Funny story, they aren't actually the same thing. I know this is usually Vlad territory, because he's the one who consistently points out that bit, but it drives me a little crazy as well. And I don't even call myself a communist.

I think it is because some of these people grew up during the Cold War and had the fear of communism drilled into their heads - so anything remotely resembling communism in the totalitarianism sense makes them get this irrational. Now as for younger people who don't remember much of the Cold War, and mostly remember the fall of the Iron Curtain, I have no idea what they are thinking. I'd say they are more loony than older generations.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #186
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:32 AM
After this thread was bumped, something occurred to me that I missed the first time around. Forgive me Pearl, I don't mean to jump all over you, but it was just illustrated so clearly here. Also, I don't have any doubt that you will reply with a well thought out post, so in that sense, you might be the perfect 'target' (but not really a target... you know)

Anyway, this exchange highlights how religious belief is treated differently than any other belief:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I'm not sure she'd be presenting us with anything other than the usual tropes the Dinesh D'Souza's of the world constantly do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
And please don't jump to conclusions that someone is a conspiracy wacko because they defend God. It sounds judgmental based on bias.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
When you mentioned Dinesh D'Souza, I thought you were because that guy is a huge Obama conspiracy theorist.
.......
I also want to say that I am more likely to listen to an atheist who believes humans have evolved away from the notion of God rather than one who thinks humans have been manipulated or stupid for millennia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
D'Souza released a documentary last year called "2016" where he claimed Obama was going to make himself dictator of America and install a communist state. A lot of Americans saw it and believe it. I bow my head in shame that I share my country with those people.
How is it that we can throw around the word 'wacko' when speaking about someone's political beliefs, but as soon as we veer into religious territory, it's hands off? I'm not defending D'Souza; continue with the ridicule, please. But it strikes me as being entirely unfair that we can 'bow our heads in shame' that a large portion of a country believes something politically, but whenever the same thing is said about religion, that person gets skewered. And again, this isn't a direct attack on Pearl. She's not the first to display this imbalance and she certainly won't be the last. I'm sure it's so commonplace that it didn't even occur to any of you. When we add in the fact that D'Souza's beliefs are no more irrational than religious ones (an argument could be made that they are in fact more rational), we can begin to see that religion is undeservedly held with kids gloves
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #187
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,503
Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post

I think it is because some of these people grew up during the Cold War and had the fear of communism drilled into their heads - so anything remotely resembling communism in the totalitarianism sense makes them get this irrational. Now as for younger people who don't remember much of the Cold War, and mostly remember the fall of the Iron Curtain, I have no idea what they are thinking. I'd say they are more loony than older generations.
Anything resembling totalitarianism or dictatorship = communism, you mean. That's what was drilled into their heads, which is entirely inaccurate. Still a pretty bad excuse for remaining ignorant.
__________________
IWasBored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 09:32 AM
This is my initial response, and I'm sure I'll have a more in-depth answer later.

If someone believes in God or gods or what have you, does that automatically mean they deserve to be labeled as wackos, mentally ill, weak, stupid, etc? If they are the Fred Phelps, yes I can see why anyone would think so - because even I do. That's because what he and his family does is dangerous and based on hate and fear. They also lack empathy for everyone - gays, military families, victims of shooting sprees, etc.

But what if someone has their beliefs, yet doesn't bother anyone, lives a good life, and doesn't attack anyone for not agreeing with them - do they deserve to be labeled as stupid and mentally ill?

I know a few people who firmly believe in astrology. They read their horoscopes everyday and identify with being Aries, Capricorn, etc. They might even nudge you and say, "I think so-so is a Scorpio. Look at how she does xyz!" But that's it. I don't believe in astrology because my horoscopes never came true and my personality doesn't add up to my sign. But I don't worry about those who do. I may roll my eyes a bit, but I'm not going to rant and rave about how stupid those people are. I also wouldn't think the world is in trouble.

However - I have dealt with others who take astrology to the extreme. I once had an interview with this woman who needed a blogger for her women oriented website. She asked me what was my sign. I was baffled because that was such an odd question. When I said Gemini, you should've seen the look on her face. Not that is dangerous. She basically discriminated against me and labeled me over something that is so narrow. That is someone I'd complain about because she is actively hurting others.

Or how about vegetarians and animal rights advocates? If they were the type who weren't militant about me eating meat, I wouldn't mind their beliefs even if I disagree and wouldn't mind playfully challenging them. But if they were to start screaming at me, calling me a murderer and all, I'll just laugh and make a big show of eating chicken or ham.

My point is, there are some beliefs out there that baffle and don't add up to me. But I don't see the point in getting upset that someone sees the world differently than me - unless they actually hurt me in some way, or others too. I think it is possible to think differently than others and not lose rationale.

My reason for being upset over D'Souza and his crowd is because they are dangerous in the sense that they are spreading fear to those who are already fearful. And from what I've seen with my radically conservative family and the blogs they refer to, I think it is highly possible that a lot of terrible things can go wrong. The political polarization in this country scares me more than anything, because I don't see it getting better and knowing how blind some people are with their fears, I'm surprised blood hasn't been spilled yet (honestly).

Now yes, a lot of the political problems here are related to religion, particularly abortion, SSM, evolution, etc. I do believe in separation from church and state, because we're a diverse nation and democracy is about letting everyone think for themselves. The radical conservatives are preventing democracy by trying to enforce their beliefs on others.

My lunch break is coming up, so I'll end this quickly: if you want to criticize someone for believing in God and also aims to enforce their beliefs on others, I say go ahead. There is a mental illness there - and not because they believe there is something out there. I'd say the mental illness there is more narcissistic like - as in, everyone must believe and live like they do. Yes, it sucks that some of these people wear crosses around their necks because they give everyone else a bad name. It especially sucks that they claim to be God-fearing people yet fail to realize the Bible makes a huge emphasis on humility.

OK, I'm totally rambling here and I probably make no sense. In fact, nothing in this post makes sense and sounds fractured. All I can say is, why bow your head in shame that some people believe in God but are good people who mind their business? I don't bow my head in shame that some believe in astrology or that eating meat is wrong. But if they were militant, then I will.

As I said before, I'll get back to you later. I also probably missed your point altogether. I can't wait to see the smilies in response to this post.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #189
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
How is it that we can throw around the word 'wacko' when speaking about someone's political beliefs, but as soon as we veer into religious territory, it's hands off? I'm not defending D'Souza; continue with the ridicule, please. But it strikes me as being entirely unfair that we can 'bow our heads in shame' that a large portion of a country believes something politically, but whenever the same thing is said about religion, that person gets skewered. And again, this isn't a direct attack on Pearl. She's not the first to display this imbalance and she certainly won't be the last. I'm sure it's so commonplace that it didn't even occur to any of you. When we add in the fact that D'Souza's beliefs are no more irrational than religious ones (an argument could be made that they are in fact more rational), we can begin to see that religion is undeservedly held with kids gloves
Because we're talking about fringe microcosms, not entire groups. No one is calling all Democrats wacko, or all Republicans wacko, just a small microcosm within that group.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Anything resembling totalitarianism or dictatorship = communism, you mean. That's what was drilled into their heads, which is entirely inaccurate. Still a pretty bad excuse for remaining ignorant.
Isn't that what the Red Scare, McCarthyism and everyone else said about communism? Granted, the USSR declared itself to be communist and look at how the people lived. I think the confusion makes sense there.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #191
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,503
Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
After this thread was bumped, something occurred to me that I missed the first time around. Forgive me Pearl, I don't mean to jump all over you, but it was just illustrated so clearly here. Also, I don't have any doubt that you will reply with a well thought out post, so in that sense, you might be the perfect 'target' (but not really a target... you know)

Anyway, this exchange highlights how religious belief is treated differently than any other belief:

How is it that we can throw around the word 'wacko' when speaking about someone's political beliefs, but as soon as we veer into religious territory, it's hands off? I'm not defending D'Souza; continue with the ridicule, please. But it strikes me as being entirely unfair that we can 'bow our heads in shame' that a large portion of a country believes something politically, but whenever the same thing is said about religion, that person gets skewered. And again, this isn't a direct attack on Pearl. She's not the first to display this imbalance and she certainly won't be the last. I'm sure it's so commonplace that it didn't even occur to any of you. When we add in the fact that D'Souza's beliefs are no more irrational than religious ones (an argument could be made that they are in fact more rational), we can begin to see that religion is undeservedly held with kids gloves
I don't know, I'm perfectly comfortable calling religious zealots whackos. I probably do it more often than I call people with political views that fall in any extreme side of the spectrum, because the political nutcases almost always have a religious component (even in places where on paper we have such a thing as separation of church and state--one of the major criteria in determining whackoness for me is when said politicians try to ignore this notion exists) to their whackery.
__________________
IWasBored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,556
Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Because we're talking about fringe microcosms, not entire groups. No one is calling all Democrats wacko, or all Republicans wacko, just a small microcosm within that group.
But if you go back to the first page of this thread, you have data that shows it's not just a small group of Islam that supports death for breaking rules of a prophet.

This isn't a small #
__________________
BEAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #193
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,645
Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
But if you go back to the first page of this thread, you have data that shows it's not just a small group of Islam that supports death for breaking rules of a prophet.

This isn't a small #
Well actually the survey never did give us an overall number of Muslims in general who believed that, it gave those percentages for certain countries which ranged from 29% - 80%, also it didn't talk about breaking the rules, just those that converted.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #194
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,435
Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
If someone believes in God or gods or what have you, does that automatically mean they deserve to be labeled as wackos, mentally ill, weak, stupid, etc? If they are the Fred Phelps, yes I can see why anyone would think so - because even I do. That's because what he and his family does is dangerous and based on hate and fear. They also lack empathy for everyone - gays, military families, victims of shooting sprees, etc.
Here's my take on this: people deserve to be criticized for their religious beliefs when they prioritize those beliefs over the well-being of people around them. The same thing goes for any ideology.
__________________
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Here's my take on this: people deserve to be criticized for their religious beliefs when they prioritize those beliefs over the well-being of people around them. The same thing goes for any ideology.

You basically summed up my entire rambling post in a few words. I salute you.
__________________

__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com